Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mr. J
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my R just over 2 years. I'm debating to get rid of her for a touring. Also debating about turning her into a touring. If you have pictures of your Road Rod, Batwing R, or Road Glide R. If I do sell her I'd rather sell the after market stuff to a fellow forum member rather than loose out on a trade-in. Please Post them sooner than later.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
EXCELSIOR
8,374 Posts
Touring is all relative to what your impression is. To make distances easier a variety of windshields, handle bars, seats and luggage combinations are available. One my B model I use a short shield and throw over bags, They hold as much as I need for a week, and are easy to unstrap and carry in when I get to accomodations at days end.
If you really want a Road King though then maybe thats what you should do.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I don't have my photo album on this computer, but I have an R with the Sport Saddlebags, a Supersport Windshield (the P&A catalog says it fits the A/B models only but several of us have them on our Rs), a tank bag and Chase Harper tail pack. Other than that I have a True Track linkage, Race Tech Gold Valve, Works Shocks and I had the seat re-upholstered to fill in the butt pocket and widen it at the rear. I tour with this just like I sport tour my BMW, and it works fine. In fact it hauls ass. If there is a single drawback it is that it is too pretty to get dirty riding all day in the rain. That is what BMWs are for, lol.

Stupid site won't let me attach the only photo I have of the bike on this computer because I posted it on another thread previously. That thread is called "I'm the beta tester" if you want to go digging. It shows the bike without saddlebags or the tail bag but you can see the repadded seat. It really helps with knee comfort.

There is an FXRT fairing in the man cave that I hold up to the R from time to time, sizing it up. Someday something is going to happen ......................

·
Asatruar
2,935 Posts
Stupid site won't let me attach the only photo I have of the bike on this computer because I posted it on another thread previously.
Rename the file & save it & then upload it to the "images" in your Gallery. You'll be able to use the links provided in the Gallery to post it multiple times

There is an FXRT fairing in the man cave that I hold up to the R from time to time, sizing it up. Someday something is going to happen ......................
I for one really hope you accomplish that mod.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Allright, one photo taken in late May 2011 in Currant Nevada on US-6 on the way to World Superbike in Utah. Equipped as described except I still had the Sundowner Seat on it then, and I am running a Baseplate and luggage rack for my gas can. The leg from Tonopah to Ely is longer than the fuel range on my bike when it is as cold as it was considering the elevations ranging from 6000 - 7500 feet.
The second photo was taken in 2009 and was the first stab at mounting VRSCA hard luggage on the bike. It remains an on-again off-again work in progress, most recently suspended by the need to pay for a gearbox overhaul on my high mileage Beemer.
The last photo is recent, and shows the revised rider seat with Sport Saddlebags, Marsee tank bag and Supersport Windshield. I can ride this bike all day, and often do. The next big adventure for it is the run to Laguna Seca later this month.

Attachments

·
Pale, acute, mobile
159 Posts
Keep it and add what you need to tour.

When I bought the Vector back in '06, I fully intended to transform it into a sport touring platform. I'd ridden V-rods before and I loved the Revolution motor but wasn't enamored with the handling characteristics and the 3.5 gallon gas tank. Then the R came along with the 5 gallon tank, less rake, inverted forks, Brembo calipers, and better ground clearance. (These were all differentiators back then, only the frame differences are still there when compared to current models.) In any case, I snatched one up and the modifications began.

You can see photos of the major steps in the Vector's evolution here:
http://www.ghostcruises.org/blog/gallery-of-vector-evolution/

Choose wisely,

Ghost

·
NSFW
1,983 Posts
Check out cptjam's white R. He has a faring mounted, A risers and bar (I think), Corbin seat and F bags (which are huge compared to what HD offers for the R). He routinely travels many hundreds of feet at a time on it without discomfort.

·
Asatruar
2,935 Posts
Check out cptjam's white R. He has a faring mounted, A risers and bar (I think), Corbin seat and F bags (which are huge compared to what HD offers for the R). He routinely travels many hundreds of feet at a time on it without discomfort.
Here it is:

Someday I hope to have a set of those "F" saddlebags on my bike.:broke:

·
Mr. J
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your advice, I'll hold on to her a bit longer. There is a road glide faring here in Nashville. I just gotta sell the idea to the wife. Or ask for forgiveness later.

·
CENLA V-Rodder
157 Posts
I've only had 2004 VRSCA a few months but plan on touring as much as possible...most of my riding will be too and from work (95 miles round trip) but will do some weekend riding as well. I'm planning a trip to Hay Springs, Nebraska to participate in the 16th Annual Crazy Horse Ride next summer (June 2013)...real live horses...that should be a nice ride...not too far from Sturgis, SD...Louisiana to Hay Springs is about 1200 miles one way...

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Snort!
Was that deliberate?
He means miles - over 4000 to mid west thunder and back. Tours perfectly. For me, the riding position is perfect. Joe

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Here it is:

Someday I hope to have a set of those "F" saddlebags on my bike.:broke:
Were you able to use the mounting plates for the Sport Saddlebags to mount the F bag brackets or did you have to fabricate something from scratch? Do you deck that exhaust before the pegs touch?

I think the saddlebags from the Buell Thunderbolt would look good and function well too.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
A combination of sport bag underfender brackets and bits of angle, coupling nuts, and a bit of heat gun on the shock tower to create clearance. Nothing scrapes, ever, and I ride alot. I still want bigger bags. Once I figure something out, I will sell these. Great bags. Best so far. Joe

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
A combination of sport bag underfender brackets and bits of angle, coupling nuts, and a bit of heat gun on the shock tower to create clearance. Nothing scrapes, ever, and I ride alot. I still want bigger bags. Once I figure something out, I will sell these. Great bags. Best so far. Joe
Well, there are Hepco and Becker 40 Liter bags and they sell a universal bracket that I think could be easily adapted to the under fender brackets (Harley calls them "keep-ons" in the instruction sheet) you have now.
Alternatively I think the big saddle bags Buell offered on the Thunderbolt might look good on your bike. Remember Buell had different width lids for those bags and the largest of these was actually pretty huge.

I have to admit I am still scratching my head about using a heat gun on the shock tower to create clearance. I'm not sure what a shock tower is.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
FWIW... I've owned several touring bikes and if I could do it all over...I'd stick with the V.

I actually felt more comfortable on the AW with the additional power and ABS. Shields and fairings can address the wind issue and ear buds in the iPod address the tunes.

Unless you just got the bug to change bikes, I'd make adjustments to an already great bike that can do touring and cruising...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts