Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The VROD makes for a fine touring bike! This thing is a blast in Colorado. Got in a race with a Hopped up Street Glide on 50 outside of Gunnison. I was a hair under WFO for 5 miles. The old girl kept saying, gimme some mo, gimme some mo. So that's what I did. She'll do 142 WFO and it hit the limiter. I Frigging love this bike! Street Glide was one hard running Mofo! But not hard enough.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Poor Street Glide getting spanked by a 1130cc V Rod - It's probable going to have PTSD and need professional counseling - along with the rider (y):D - too bad, so sad. But good for you noechamp ! Too many guys ride these bikes around with no idea of what they're capable of. Good to see someone else airing the old girl out ! What fwd belt pulley you got on there 28 tooth ?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the stock 30 tooth pulley. We were at about 9000 ft coming off of Monarch pass. I saw him up ahead passing cars. Could tell he was he getting it. Finally caught him as he was passing the last car for a really long straight away. His bike was slick. 114 motor. We both wanted to find out. As he passed the car I could hear him drop a couple. We were already around 85. I dropped one at the same time and let that bitch eat for all it was worth. I put about 30 on him and slowed down. He pulled up and wanted a side by side roll on. I dropped 2 and ran it out. Was surprised to hit the limiter. But it sure did it. But not before I walked away from him. We stopped later for fuel. Guy was cool as hell. We rode several miles together before parting ways.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Great story noechamp - I love that shit ! I haven't had mine much over 135 with the 28 tooth ( not close to the limiter ) and haven't seen how much better it will go yet with the 30 tooth but I figured + 10 Mph. The stock bike with a 28 tooth should be good for 145 so maybe you could have gotten another 3 mph out of it if you had more time to build a little more speed ? - if you have a 30 tooth I was thinking it should be good for 155 at the limiter, but maybe I'm wrong ? Are you sure your bike has the 30 tooth and someone hasn't installed a 28 tooth ? Thanks, just wondering out loud here - all I know is with the 28 tooth at 4500 Rpm mine read an accurate 75 Mph so double that it should be geared for 150, less a couple mph if the limiter is prior to 9000 and some speedo error - add 10 Mph for the 30 tooth should pull 155 ( if the engine is strong enough ) - what do you think ? :unsure:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Man what a ride today! Left Albuquerque this morning around 9. Rode almost the whole way in the rain. Last ride for my POS rain suit! 600 mile day on the Sundowner. Great seats for an off the shelf unit. The VROD's electrical system will handle heated pants and a heated Jacket at the same time. Really good to know. Streetrodracer, I really think I have a bit of high RPM clutch slippage. I didn't get around to installing the Slipper yet. But I did check the pulley when I installed the bigger tank. It does have the 30.tooth. I knew it anyway, it's a pig out of the hole unless you slip the crap out of it. My 1st VROD, I did the 28 and other stuff too. It would outrun this one easy. This one is bone stock other than SE slip-ons. K & N filter and the HD program. If I speed shift it. It will flare in 4th and 5th a little bit. If I let it catch, so to speak. It doesn't seem to slip. I was running 125 to 130 for a long way. It's actually smoother than my Goldwing at 125. Every time I rolled it back. It pulled to 142 on the and hit it. I haven't done the math yet. But I don't think a VROD will pull to 155 without a power adder. Especially with a touring windshield, my 200lb butt and all my gear.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That's cool!

The Muscle seat starts to get to me after 3+ hrs, so I don't go much longer unless I have to. Bitch'n is the only seat I'd really consider getting. I'm not sure I'm ready to pony up the $$$$ for one when I've been considering parting out my mods and selling her.

Reactions: Sota

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's cool!

The Muscle seat starts to get to me after 3+ hrs, so I don't go much longer unless I have to. Bitch'n is the only seat I'd really consider getting. I'm not sure I'm ready to pony up the $$$$ for one when I've been considering parting out my mods and selling her.
I haven't ridden an Muscle yet. But just looking at the seat, I don't think we would get along very well. I love the Sundowner. But I plan on doing what KnutJ did and send my stock seat off to Russell to make a Daylong version out of it. I haven't seen a seat yet that beats a Russell.
The only complaint I have with my bike is the Boom Audio I put on it. It could be a little louder. With the helmet in full face mode with the shield down. The headset is louder. I'm pretty happy with it overall. I bought it used off Craigslist. I wouldn't be happy with it if I paid what it cost new though.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
I'm totally green with envy neochamp - that's beautiful territory to have a high speed " Touring " ride on the V Rod - you're a wild man to get all that on board weight and tallish windshield up to 142 and cruise at 125 - 130 !! (y) Yea, I imagine the stock clutch might slip a bit out at the very edge of the performance envelope - don't know if the slipper clutch will hold on better in same conditions but I got one to install on my new 1250 engine so one day I'll find out. I rented a BMW GS 1200 in CO. a few years ago and got a taste of out west riding and what a blast ! I just gotta go back, maybe on my V Rod this time for high speed fun. I'm thinking my R model with the new 1250cc Stg. 2 cams, ported heads and racing valves might just get to 150+ a couple mph before it runs outta gearing or power, just need a good open road like you got up there on your tour route - I might have to follow in your tire tracks up there to test it out in a more cop free area - Hey BTW did you get any wind steer with the solid wheels on those mountain passes ? Ride on Man ! (y):cool:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to know JJrod! Guess I wasn't slipping much considering weight and wind resistance. And it was still pulling, albeit a slow pull. Streetrodracer, I have to say it was one of the most fun times I've had on 2 wheels. And I've had a hell of a lot of fun on 2 wheels. An R model on those roads would just be awesome! I can put most bikes through their paces in the curves. The VROD is no different. But a VROD with some lean angle would be a total blast. I might have to go ahead and get one. I sold the last of the race cars a few years back and got out of the game. Guess the game didn't get out of me though. Been racing in one form or another since I was 8.Had NHRA & IHRA Competition licenses since I was 16. Got shelves full of trophy's, including Wally's and an Ironman. Old habits are hard to break. I wouldn't suggest anyone riding that way. It is dangerous! Speed will probably kill me one day. At least I'll be in my happy place when I go.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Streetrodracer, I deal with crazy hard blowing wind almost every day where I live here in Ok. The route we took to get to Colorado. Hwy 87 in between Clayton NM and Raton NM. Has to be the most windy corridor on planet earth. I got blown all over the road. But I can't say that I have ever experienced wind induced steering problems with solid wheels. Not a big fan of them. Had planned on putting something else on it actually. Just for looks and a little weight reduction. But I actually got several comments on how good they looked over the last week while on my trip. Go figure! One thing that I already knew but wanted to give them another shot since I bought the bike with them on it. I HATE Dunlop tires. Worst tire ever for tar snakes and wet weather. Same experience on several bikes.

·
Registered
2003 V-Rod A
101 Posts
I might have to go ahead and get one
If you sell yours, I got dibs on the bags, windshield and cup holder! Do you have the 5 gal tank? It seems like you would have to have a jerry can for a trip out west if you have the stock tank.

·
Registered
2003 V-Rod A
101 Posts
I was running 125 to 130 for a long way.
OMG. I'm a new rider. Just got mine up to 70 on the local highway the other day. Scared the hell out of me. I don't have a windscreen and I thought it was going to blow me off the bike. I have a full face helmet and thank God for that. I got hit in the face shield with a bug at 70 and if I didn't have my face covered, I'd have a hole in my forehead. If I had a windscreen like the one on your bike, would I be ok to ride with a "cool" HD helmet like the other boys are sporting? Right now, I don't really look the part when I pull up to the local biker bar. Ha!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you sell yours, I got dibs on the bags, windshield and cup holder! Do you have the 5 gal tank? It seems like you would have to have a jerry can for a trip out west if you have the stock tank.
Oh, I'm not ever getting rid of this VROD, Wingloader! I did that once. Not happening again. I have it just about where I want it. If anything, I'll add one. Yes, I installed an Unlimited Engineering 5.2 gal tank in it. It was well worth the purchase price, not to have to look for fuel every 80 to 100 miles. The windshield is worth it's weight in gold. But it still won't prevent the occasional June-bug in the forehead. Even with a full face helmet on. At some point you're gonna open the shield and WHAM! Welp on the forehead time. LOL! As for the helmet thing. I never ride with a skid lid. I look much cooler with all of my face attached. I grew up wearing helmets for racing. So I'm more comfortable in them. People should have that choice I believe. I choose to wear a good helmet. 3/4 minimum. In play mode. It's full face. I wouldn't worry about fitting in or looking a certain part. You bought the bike for you. Who cares what anyone else thinks about it? Just have fun with it at your own pace. In your own way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts