Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Hmmm....not sure really....but Im thinking you might have to redo the entire shield to get it looking perfect...you could use a Hi heat BBQ paint,which many have used before....but not sure if you could just touch up and make it look right....

im sure you could have them ceramic coated entirely or jet coated but could be expensive..

Keep us posted if you come up with something....

Dan

·
Registered
92 Posts
I rubbed my heat shields down with some wet and dry sand paper and sprayed them with high temp black BBQ paint.
Do the little fasteners at the same time
looks much better and easy to clean.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Paint it black said:
I rubbed my heat shields down with some wet and dry sand paper and sprayed them with high temp black BBQ paint.

I had heard of this....and it sounds like a good idea..many of us have noticed the shields stock have abit of a rough surface and its tricky to clean them....

so far Ive been applying total look(similar to armor all) to the shields with a sponge.....for me this works well as I really like the vivid look...Im not much for the FLAT look myself....

I would love to have them painted in a more semi gloss black,sorta like ceramic black looks...eggshell finish that can be wiped smooth.

good ideas here!

·
Registered
683 Posts
NOS-DAN said:
I had heard of this....and it sounds like a good idea..many of us have noticed the shields stock have abit of a rough surface and its tricky to clean them....

so far Ive been applying total look(similar to armor all) to the shields with a sponge.....for me this works well as I really like the vivid look...Im not much for the FLAT look myself....

I would love to have them painted in a more semi gloss black,sorta like ceramic black looks...eggshell finish that can be wiped smooth.

good ideas here!

i
:thumb: :thumb:

'm with you on this

·
San Diego |07 DX|
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i bought some high heat ceramic spray paint and then taped up my shield about 1/4" from the end (this is where the stock exhaust overlapped and left marks). I sprayed it twice, and i since i am so smart, i didnt wait for it to completely dry since i was in a hurry to get everything done and go to bed. When i peeled the tape off, some paint came w/ it. I then realized that i am not a painter and i suck at it. However, the paint does cover the silver marks that were showing and it looks better than when i started.
i hate those heat sheilds. Every little blemish shows up on them.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
If you like the stock exhaust and shields,you can always send them out to jet-hot who would ceramic coat them SMOOTH...they have 3 different black colors too....

or you can simply go to a new COMPLETE exhaust system that replaces the entire stock system and shields...

or maybe you could just sand these down smooth..and paint with BBQ paint,cheap and simple...but its more flat color i believe....

Dan

·
Banned
868 Posts
Paint it black said:
The BBQ paint works pretty well. I did mine with 1500 deg. ceramic header paint from the auto parts store. Also worked good

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
danasmith69 said:
The BBQ paint works pretty well. I did mine with 1500 deg. ceramic header paint from the auto parts store. Also worked good

what does the finish of the ceramic paint look like?....I would like to find something with a SHEEN to it....i think the BBQ is flat right?...

good to hear we have alternatives on heat shields...when I go to a thunderheader I will only need the front two stock shields...the TH will replace the 3rd volume outward.....

thanks
dan

·
2loud=2cool
448 Posts
i had a black thunderheader on my night train.

it was peeling & messy, so i had it re-coated locally.

in ~5000 miles, it was as bad again.

so i bought a can of BBQ grill paint, flat black.

i would position a Wal-Mart bag behind the pipes, have the wife help hold the bag, and repaint the whole exhaust whenever i did a good cleaning on it.

the bag keeps overspray off rest of bike, just don't rub the wet paint when you pull it out (ask the wife....)

looked good for a long time. nice flat even finish since you redid it all at once.

i even spot painted it a few times, looked great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts