Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gator
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
California:
I was pulling off highway 74 coming from the west into the relatively new Pit Stop on the Santa Rosa Indian Reservation. It transitions from asphalt to concrete through about 50' of large gravel. Without ABS, the front wheel locked and down I went. Bent the frame, jammed the motor, basically trashed the bike. First time down in over 60 years of riding. 45,000 miles on this bike and done. $12,000 damages, so, the bike is totaled. My helmet saved my head, the helmet took the fall and is now shaped like an egg and the visor is toast.

I have a single bike trailer for sale, lots of amenities like jackets, bike pants, one pair saved my knees and skin that day. Motorcycle jacket saved my arms and upper body, from losing my skin. Only a small tear in the jacket. Remember: ALL GEAR ALL THE TIME!

I'm 74, and now done riding. I know it is a good time to quit coming out of this accident with minor scrapes, bumps and bruises. Could have been bad for me there was a lot of traffic and I avoided all of it and just went down on my own. Lucky me. Let me know if you want a trailer with very few miles on it. [email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Wow you're 74 and crashed on Hwy 74 and that's it for your riding career ! - so God willing I might have another 12 years - glad you're OK glad you rode as long as you could and that's very commendable you gotta know when to call it quits, especially in the land of Californication. Enjoy your non M/C retirement, I plan off you guys, thanks for the forward recon ! Take care my M/C Brother !!

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,396 Posts
Glad to hear you are OK - and sooner than later we all have to make that decision to give up riding..

·
Registered
36 Posts
California:
I was pulling off highway 74 coming from the west into the relatively new Pit Stop on the Santa Rosa Indian Reservation. It transitions from asphalt to concrete through about 50' of large gravel. Without ABS, the front wheel locked and down I went. Bent the frame, jammed the motor, basically trashed the bike. First time down in over 60 years of riding. 45,000 miles on this bike and done. $12,000 damages, so, the bike is totaled. My helmet saved my head, the helmet took the fall and is now shaped like an egg and the visor is toast.

I have a single bike trailer for sale, lots of amenities like jackets, bike pants, one pair saved my knees and skin that day. Motorcycle jacket saved my arms and upper body, from losing my skin. Only a small tear in the jacket. Remember: ALL GEAR ALL THE TIME!

I'm 74, and now done riding. I know it is a good time to quit coming out of this accident with minor scrapes, bumps and bruises. Could have been bad for me there was a lot of traffic and I avoided all of it and just went down on my own. Lucky me. Let me know if you want a trailer with very few miles on it. [email protected]
Glad you escaped the reaper. Low side? What brand pants? Enjoy your retirement.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
I agree. Gear up for riding as you just never know. Glad you came out of it reasonably well.
Ron

·
The Hawk
3,806 Posts
Glad to hear that you are OK. I had a similar experience last Monday, not as much damage to the bike but they totalled mine too.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Gator
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow you're 74 and crashed on Hwy 74 and that's it for your riding career ! - so God willing I might have another 12 years - glad you're OK glad you rode as long as you could and that's very commendable you gotta know when to call it quits, especially in the land of Californication. Enjoy your non M/C retirement, I plan off you guys, thanks for the forward recon ! Take care my M/C Brother !!
Thank you for the kind words. I didn't notice the 74 on 74 until you pointed that out. I will use that going forward knowing that it is time to retire the MC riding. I loved riding fast and the V Rod performed. Not great cornering but in a straight line, get out of my way. My best to you Bro, keep the shining side up!

·
Gator
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad to hear you are OK - and sooner than later we all have to make that decision to give up riding..
Thanks brother, I appreciate the kind words. Fell over 3 times earlier in the year with no damage other than ego, but the forth and final crash convinced me the time to quit while i was ahead was here.

·
Gator
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad to hear that you are OK. I had a similar experience last Monday, not as much damage to the bike but they totalled mine too.

You are right, it's not the speed that kills its the sudden stop at the end.

·
Gator
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

The V Rod isn't worth much except to people like us that appreciate the machine.

·
Gator
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad you are OK. I agree with the gear, I see kids all the time with shorts and flip flops. Makes me cringe.
I rode the first 30 years without a helmet. I no longer feel that is very smart and recommend good helmets to do the dirty work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts