Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find this odd in the torque specs. All other engine covers are 86"lbs but in the procedure it says torque all in sequence to 97" lbs. Two different torques and damned if I can find the explanation other then 4, 5, 7 bolts using 86"lbs and perimeter using 97"lbs.
Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I find this odd in the torque specs. All other engine covers are 86"lbs but in the procedure it says torque all in sequence to 97" lbs. Two different torques and damned if I can find the explanation other then 4, 5, 7 bolts using 86"lbs and perimeter using 97"lbs.
Ron
That's very strange. In the earlier manuals there is only 86"lbs mentioned. You would have thought that if there was going to be certain fasteners at a different torque they would be specific with the bolt numbers, yet in the later manual it just says insert fasteners and tighten to 97"lbs. I wonder if the torque was uprated at some point and they neglected to remove the ref to 86"lbs. I have seen many instances of that in the manuals as they get later. It appears that whoever is responsible for updating them is a big fan of "cut & paste" as I have seen quite a few errors, especially in the electrical manuals.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's very strange. In the earlier manuals there is only 86"lbs mentioned. You would have thought that if there was going to be certain fasteners at a different torque they would be specific with the bolt numbers, yet in the later manual it just says insert fasteners and tighten to 97"lbs. I wonder if the torque was uprated at some point and they neglected to remove the ref to 86"lbs. I have seen many instances of that in the manuals as they get later. It appears that whoever is responsible for updating them is a big fan of "cut & paste" as I have seen quite a few errors, especially in the electrical manuals.
Shit like that pisses me off plus the way the SM jumps all over the place in operations is quite annoying. Example. On spot has the cam cap torques mentioned and in another area it says to oil them before install and torqueing. A normal person would have all the procedure in one spot. I just torqued the valve covers all to 86"lbs. No clue what the 97" is all about but it makes no sense for the perimeter bolts. Coil , which is one of the cover torque bolts it says 86 as well.
Ron

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Shit like that pisses me off plus the way the SM jumps all over the place in operations is quite annoying. Example. On spot has the cam cap torques mentioned and in another area it says to oil them before install and torqueing. A normal person would have all the procedure in one spot. I just torqued the valve covers all to 86"lbs. No clue what the 97" is all about but it makes no sense for the perimeter bolts. Coil , which is one of the cover torque bolts it says 86 as well.
Ron
Know exactly what you mean. The SMs remind me of the early translated handbooks you used to get for Japanese motorcycles back in the day!! They are not very professional, like you say a section for one thing should have everything related to it in that section, not 50% here, 30% down there and 20% over there.
I also would have stuck to the 86"lbs.

·
VRSC est -03
2,759 Posts
And all these lawyer food: Caution! Warning! Danger!
Compare a manual from the 80`s with today`s editions. Night and day...

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I have found certain torque values were one value in the text portion of the SM and another value in the tables accompanying that same section. I trust the tables before I trust the text portion.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have found certain torque values were one value in the text portion of the SM and another value in the tables accompanying that same section. I trust the tables before I trust the text portion.
Unfortunately the pic I posted is from the torques page section.
Ron

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
My 2007 manual shows 86in/lb. Only one line.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 2007 manual shows 86in/lb. Only one line.
In the engine section torques it's 86"lbs for all operations. Torque value section it's a mix of 86 and 97. In another section it says this. Several area that show the sequence so a newbe, depending on what page he falls on can really screw this up. This is out of the 2012 SM.
Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
My story on the bible........
Was experiencing a miss at times. One of the things I checked was coils. (Don't remember exact values) Went by what the book said was acceptable (I'm no electrician) and both came back as out of spec. So I ordered 2 new. Came in, took home, checked, and those were out of spec too. Back to dealership. Showed parts guy with my meter and my book. (Longer story short) they ordered 2 more. Came in, and this time I brought book and meter. Both bad. Sent them back. 3rd set...... both bad...... 4th set..... bad. Ok, now parts manager and service guy involved. (I wasn't checking correctly)..... Grrrrrrrrrr
So they took them in back and said they were right. Whoa here........ WTF
Again, longer story shorter.......
Turns out that the early bikes had different coil packs. With different resistance values. Not sure when the change occurred, but it was early on. Nobody changed the book.
The service guy brought a book from in back. The '17 service manual. The values were changed.
So, someone "overlooked" that, but they did fix it, on the last year of manufacture.......
FMR.......
John

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
My story on the bible........
Was experiencing a miss at times. One of the things I checked was coils. (Don't remember exact values) Went by what the book said was acceptable (I'm no electrician) and both came back as out of spec. So I ordered 2 new. Came in, took home, checked, and those were out of spec too. Back to dealership. Showed parts guy with my meter and my book. (Longer story short) they ordered 2 more. Came in, and this time I brought book and meter. Both bad. Sent them back. 3rd set...... both bad...... 4th set..... bad. Ok, now parts manager and service guy involved. (I wasn't checking correctly)..... Grrrrrrrrrr
So they took them in back and said they were right. Whoa here........ WTF
Again, longer story shorter.......
Turns out that the early bikes had different coil packs. With different resistance values. Not sure when the change occurred, but it was early on. Nobody changed the book.
The service guy brought a book from in back. The '17 service manual. The values were changed.
So, someone "overlooked" that, but they did fix it, on the last year of manufacture.......
FMR.......
John
I have come across this also, bought 2 new coils for spares and they didn't tie up with the manual!
Good to know the people after 2017 were looked after. Oh, that's right there was no more production after that!! LOL

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have come across this also, bought 2 new coils for spares and they didn't tie up with the manual!
Good to know the people after 2017 were looked after. Oh, that's right there was no more production after that!! LOL
How's the saying go, better late then never? My view, why bother at 2017? What is weird, my 2013 coils matched the 2012 book value, just to confuse the issue even more.
Ron

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
How's the saying go, better late then never? My view, why bother at 2017? What is weird, my 2013 coils matched the 2012 book value, just to confuse the issue even more.
Ron
LOL! I guess if the meter needle moves it's a good 'un!!

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL! I guess if the meter needle moves it's a good 'un!!
It really is total BS if one cannot use technical data to check electrical components. I do remember John asking me to check my primary coil resistance and it did match the specs I sent him. All I know is the coils (early) that have two bolt holes have a different resistance then the later single hole coils. I'm sure the Drag Specialties replacement touted as being more powerful spark will be different then the OEMs.
Ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts