Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know, I'm an idiot. Well, I shall know better next time.

The odds are that Harley Olhao won't have one. Consequence of running without it? I have a feeling the answer is a nasty air leak and a dangerously lean motor....

I shall go and kick myself.

[edit - I mean running with it torn]

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
No Louis, you can use RTV-silicone. Black is good. Just make sure you put a good coat on. You could also reuse gasket w/RTV-silicone.
Good Luck.
Joe

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Am I keeping oil in (that's OK, I can live with a small leak while I wait for a gasket), or air out (in which case I don't trust instant gasket, the consequences of it not working are too scary)....

Cheers!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
First off you should already have one or 2 of these in stock.The rear breather hose too.
Why would you think this would make it run lean? Dirt entering,but not lean.
I wouldn't use silicone glue in this area.

·
Registered
361 Posts
temp gasket

i had the same issue.i carefully traced and cut out a new gasket on locally aquired gasket material,worked fine until my new gasket arrived.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I always keep a spare. That gasket is good for about 3 removals and replaces before it starts to tear.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not a bad idea... Thanks.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
I have used RTV and no troubles. No big issue w/it. It was a temp for a few mo. anyway.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Grunt. This is what I hate about doing something for the first time. I can strip a Bonnie in my sleep, but apparently I'm too stupid to remove a Harley airbox. OK, I've learned two things today - mistakes I won't make again.

The good news is, if it is a service item, maybe HD Olhao WILL have one in stock. They never have ANYTHING else, but you never know.

I'm glad you said don't use silicon. That's my instinct too, but I didn't want to seem wet and feeble.

It is annoying, because I am committed to a long trip with romantic overtones (the KTM would be far more suitable, but madam wants to travel by Harley) which is precisely why I was giving it a service. I should have just changed the oil and left the plugs until I got back. Especially since the plugs I just took out look perfect, and good for another 10K minimum.

Looks like I just won the arsewit of the week award.

Any OTHER bits I should keep handy?

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To me, it is one of those things you'll get away with 99 times out of a hundred.

This is not an engine I like to take risks with. It costs a fortune, bits are near impossible to get in Portugal, and it is a pig to work on (because of the frame rails). I don't want stray silicon anywhere it shouldn't be....

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
You can run without a gasket until you get the replacement. I wouldn't recommend that you go through a desert in the middle of a convoy without one, but you'll be fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts