Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay....I give up. I have tried to figure out what topless means and I'm tired of guessing. Does topless mean that you are removing the air ram plastic piece that surrounds the airbox, and is under the painted cover? I assume that this is done to improved air flow. If that is true, why do they come that way from the factory? Of course, I could be completely wrong about what "topless" means, and that would make everything I just said garbage.

SOOOOOO.......at the risk of looking ignorant, what does topless mean and why do I want to do it?

'07 NRS
Tab Slash cut Baffled
Tab fueler
K&N filter

·
Safe and sound
4,589 Posts
lonewolfe said:
Okay....I give up. I have tried to figure out what topless means and I'm tired of guessing. Does topless mean that you are removing the air ram plastic piece that surrounds the airbox, and is under the painted cover? I assume that this is done to improved air flow. If that is true, why do they come that way from the factory? Of course, I could be completely wrong about what "topless" means, and that would make everything I just said garbage.

SOOOOOO.......at the risk of looking ignorant, what does topless mean and why do I want to do it?

'07 NRS
Tab Slash cut Baffled
Tab fueler
K&N filter
Yes. toplles is removing the top of the plastic cover and the clips underneath the skin. You also must rlocate your AIT when you do this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Relocate the AIT? what does that stand for and do you have any suggestions. I just added the tab fueler, so I have had everything off of it down to the fuel injection.

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
I think it is the Air Intake Temperature Sensor.

It is attached to the box... if you click on Semi-Topless in my signature, you will see another way to do it.

·
Safe and sound
4,589 Posts
mikep said:

It is attached to the box... if you click on Semi-Topless in my signature, you will see another way to do it.
If you do a search for "topless" there should be plenty of "how to's" to look at.

·
Proud R Pilot
372 Posts
" I assume that this is done to improved air flow. If that is true, why do they come that way from the factory?"

Helping to meet EPA noise regulations, one V-Rod at a time!

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
you mean to tell me this isn't what you guys have been talking about?...

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
lonewolfe, I have some pictures of a relocated AIT in my gallery.

·
Vrodder since 2004
4,514 Posts
Is it possible to just cut the top portion of the cover away and leave the rest intact? Does it give enough air that way and do I have to adjust my PC111? just curious- I am thinking of finally going topless but I don't want remove the whole thing and relocate the wire. Will it work the same?

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
violet scroll up to mikep's post and in his signature click on his link Semi-Topless and it shows a picture of what your asking :thumb:

·
Vrodder since 2004
4,514 Posts
lakedrunk said:
violet scroll up to mikep's post and in his signature click on his link Semi-Topless and it shows a picture of what your asking :thumb:
Ahh, see- my laziness pays off! lol...I did a search and there were way too many topics for me to sort through ....thank you!! You rock!:notworth:

·
Soul Stumpy
2,186 Posts
Another topless question

Hi guys :) Newbie on this forum, getting my DX in march next year. Would going topless or semi leave your engine more exposed to debris and other crap going unfiltered through the intake than keeping the top on would? I'm thinking....can this in any way compare to an unfiltered v-stack vs high flow filtered intake on a carburetted bike?

Or am I way off track?

:hidesbeh:

·
Vrodder since 2004
4,514 Posts
BeelzeKnut said:
Hi guys :) Newbie on this forum, getting my DX in march next year. Would going topless or semi leave your engine more exposed to debris and other crap going unfiltered through the intake than keeping the top on would? I'm thinking....can this in any way compare to an unfiltered v-stack vs high flow filtered intake on a carburetted bike?

Or am I way off track?

I have no idea, someone here does though...but I just wanted to say ::::vrodforu: :welcome: :vrod:

·
FireBum
485 Posts
BeelzeKnut said:

Or am I way off track?

When you remove the top of the air box, all air entering the velocity stacks is still routed through the filter. The difference is that it doesn't have to suck it through the snorkel anymore. Semi topless will allow you to leave the AIT in place. If you decide to go full topless you can just lay the AIT sensor in the lower airbox maybe attach it with a zip tie to keep it from falling out.
And by the way, Dude, your going to love this place!

·
GA. BOY
2,462 Posts
mikep said:

mike do you notice a difference going that way? i am thinking of doing your mod, do you like it?

·
Soul Stumpy
2,186 Posts
Thanks...

ShoNoff said:
When you remove the top of the air box, all air entering the velocity stacks is still routed through the filter. The difference is that it doesn't have to suck it through the snorkel anymore. Semi topless will allow you to leave the AIT in place. If you decide to go full topless you can just lay the AIT sensor in the lower airbox maybe attach it with a zip tie to keep it from falling out.
And by the way, Dude, your going to love this place!

...a lot ShoNoff, that's what I wanted to know! :notworth: I like it here already :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts