Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to go topless today, after checking that all was well following the repair.
Took off the air box top and relocated the sensor with a spring clip to the side of the base. Took it for a drive the long way home. Interesting new noises, possibly a little more snap (but who can say for sure). Definately no downside. I am running the stock 16ga SE pipes, the K&N air cleaner, and the factory ECM download for that combination. I'll report on any unusual effects as I see them, but so far it seems to run just as before (ie: perfect).
Curious to know if others have similar experiences. Every thread I have come across has several things changed at the same time, so I'm curious to see what changing just one thing does. In theory, it shouldn't change anything - just the opposite of a slightly dirty air cleaner, and even the open loop FI system should compensate.
Comments???

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
I took mine off before I added my supertrapp v-5 system,pcIIIr,and k&nfilter.I noticed a little more response and low ens torque.I didn't think I hurt it any be being lean,Heck the motor loved it.

·
Registered
974 Posts

I have a new cover sitting right next to me . I have the identical set up that you have. I have been "pondering" a couple things for about 2 months. I think I will take a roto-zip and cut a straight line 6 inches across about 3.5 inches back from the "snorkel". Then make that straight cut into a 2 inch "flap" that will look sorta like this [______] . Then heat up this and bend it up so it is above the rest of the unit by about 1/2-3/4 of an inch. It still has to fit under the Aluminum Lid .That way it will allow more air at idle , and be like a scoop while moving. I am also contemplating cutting the snorkel at about a 45 degree angle to both shorten it a bit and allow more flow via a larger area to scavenge from. It will allow the proper/stock fitment of the sensor and keep it protected / yet allow about 30-40% more open space for air to get through.
I am also hoping that it keeps the majority of rain out as I am not a fair weather rider. As long as it is not nasty rain, or real cold , I still ride to work. It just makes me wear a helmet if it is too cold.
This is just a rookie doing a test. :slap2:
BobT

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Choppersteve at V-Mod has tried a bunch of combinations, all to no avail (he has reported). I think either Kaz or Ketsuego has tried the swiss cheese approach. Topless seems to be the most benign approach. But go for it and let us know...

·
Registered
172 Posts
It looks like the only way to get a ram effect to work would be to get more air through the aluminum cove; perhaps some of the fiberglass replacements could have some sort of scoop molded in to feed air directly to the airbox.

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
Some of the carbon fiber parts that Joe (aka Dr HethenScum) was selling have that very thing... Joe you out there with a comment?

Mike

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the intake noise at full throttle. The valve noise at low rpm is bothersome. So what did you do? Lop off the front?

·
2,552 Posts
Thank You.

What do you think you gain by doing this? Also, do you think that the side louvers that Ernie makes will help with the air flow?

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
I think I have gained the same thing as going topless w/o the intake noise. And no, I don't think Ernie's product does much, if anything.

John

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
I'm just wondering if any of our lady riders are riding topless?:eek:

Mike

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Well Frank, I told you it was crude, but it seems to work. I know I have lost nothing. On Sunday, one of the other V-Rodders riding with me has had his bike dynoed at 115.6 rwhp. He also has the 28T pulley. We dragged 3 or 4 times and every time I blew his doors off. We went from a standing start and from a 20 mph roll on. I would get him by at least 3 bikes every time (to 120 mph or so).

I took off about 2 inches off the snout and smoothed the edges first and then cut the ugly holes.

John

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
:rofl3: :rolleyes: :notworthy

I am a little deaf from being inside the turret of all those tanks early on in my officership, so I don't mind the noise so much of removing the entire thing.... But Maryland has a long cold/wet winter ahead... and the rotary tool may be calling........

Mike:cool:

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
John .......I'm running the pcr3, home made v-mods -020 map, KN filter and top less. So if I trim the top air box this mod will increase HP, torque? By looking at it I think that it would help direct the air flow better than running topless.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts