Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dumb question. If I wanted to go "topless" on my muscle, do i remove the entire air-box cover, or just the plastic cover over the air filter itself? Also, if it is the entire airbox cover, what is that sensor, and do i relocate it? I just got my bike back, 50% fixed, and now feel the need to tinker with it for no good reason. Thanks.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
1) only remove the plastic inner cover over the air filter & metal clips

2) that would be the IAC sensor. Some have relocated into the top of the air filter housing, others have drilled a hole and installed on front of lower airbox, I hot glued mine to the front of lower airbox housing

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
My Dyno guy cuts an 8 inch by 8 inch square hole in the top cover and puts it back on the bike. I have no problems with performance or sound. It keeps the structural integrity of the air box and the sensor stays plug in. TAB pipes, Master Tune software and the air box mod. Got 127 horsepower.

Bicep

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Just take the lid off. Structural integrity isn't an issue. Tie rap the IAC sensor to anything you see under there, location really doesn't matter.

Get some kind of tuner because the bike is lean from the factory and taking the lid off just makes it worse.

Bicep: You have stage II cams?

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
Negative on the stage II cams.

Cutting the hole in the lid is so easy. The filter can even be removed for cleaning through the hole.

But the man above is right. Anyway you want to do it. Hole, Removal. it has the same outcome. More Air!

Bicep

·
Banned
1,783 Posts
127hp and no engine mods?

Sniff Sniff...whats that I smell? :D

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
That’s Horsepower you smell Hugh Jass.

I am very fortunate to live by a very good dyno tune business called Horsepower Express in Campbell Ca. Bruce is the owner there and is very good with the software that makes our bikes tick. He used Master Tune software a long with my TAB pipes, air cleaner and the top cut out of the air box to get these numbers. My dyno report is posted on his web site. The links below are to his business and my dyno report along with many others. He put 50 miles on my bike on the dyno. I took about 6 hours of tuning.
People told me that Bruce is very good but very expensive. I found that to be true. He made my bike run great. But I did pay for it. $1100.00 total $425.00 for the software the rest was labor. But my bike runs great every time I ride it. I never have an issue with the engine. And no more money will be spent trying to make the bike run any better. Its done.

http://www.horsepowerexpress.net/

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w60/hdtuner/2009 bikes/aaaaaaaaaaaaaamarty09vrod127copy.jpg

Bicep

·
Registered
257 Posts
Stock box is in place to keep out water and dirt. Yes, all factory air boxes inhibit air flow, but they keep out water and dirt. Remove/alter it and void warrentee. Buy a shift light to drive it to red line before you start looking for more HP. I am going to fast at red line shifts to need more HP.

·
Banned
1,783 Posts
That’s Horsepower you smell Hugh Jass.

I am very fortunate to live by a very good dyno tune business called Horsepower Express in Campbell Ca. Bruce is the owner there and is very good with the software that makes our bikes tick. He used Master Tune software a long with my TAB pipes, air cleaner and the top cut out of the air box to get these numbers. My dyno report is posted on his web site. The links below are to his business and my dyno report along with many others. He put 50 miles on my bike on the dyno. I took about 6 hours of tuning.
People told me that Bruce is very good but very expensive. I found that to be true. He made my bike run great. But I did pay for it. $1100.00 total $425.00 for the software the rest was labor. But my bike runs great every time I ride it. I never have an issue with the engine. And no more money will be spent trying to make the bike run any better. Its done.

http://www.horsepowerexpress.net/

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w60/hdtuner/2009 bikes/aaaaaaaaaaaaaamarty09vrod127copy.jpg

Bicep

Sounds awesome to me, you're lucky you can do that.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
TOPLESS does NOT void any warranties

Stock box is in place to keep out water and dirt. Yes, all factory air boxes inhibit air flow, but they keep out water and dirt. Remove/alter it and void warrentee. Buy a shift light to drive it to red line before you start looking for more HP. I am going to fast at red line shifts to need more HP.
been running topless for 15k miles and have had several HD warranty repairs performed during that time frame. The only way you will get water in there while running topless, is if you're dumb enough to leave off the airbox tin (cover) while riding in the rain. Furthermore, the airbox top does NOT keep out dirt, that is what your air filter is for.

·
Registered
257 Posts
AOW you have many more miles of experience than I. I am drawing on my car racing backround with our CAI's low to the ground. Hydrolock was always a reason for dealer to void the warranty. Thinking if one went to bigger throtle body would almost get same HP gain with top on as with top off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts