Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I decided to try topless again. Last time, I was not liking the high frequency vibration I heard. I finally figured it out - it was the clips - I didn't remove them! Guess what - they rattle!
This time, I drilled a hole for the IAT sensor so it's mounted just like stock. And removed the clips.

Diagnosis:

1.) Sound is great - love the induction sound when you open it up.

2.) No observable flat spots, no stumbles. Just pulls great from 3K to redline. Seems stronger. Could be just because of the sound Note: I don't care.

3.) Gas mileage is worse. I'm sure its because I can't resist twisting the grip!

I am running the K&N Aircleaner, 16Ga exhaust and factory flash. :D

·
Good at IT
83 Posts
Daniii... I have been religously spending way too much time on this forum since I first fell in love with the V-Rod in 10/03. Just today I put my security deposit down on an '03 custom...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you have (and were an advocate of) the SE slip-ons in the past???
Do you like the double barrel's better?
Did you re-map?
And did you cut, or remove your air box?

Thanks... and by the way... an imense thank you to MAX!!!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I Did the 16 Ga K&N and factory flash last July on my 02 Rod. Can I Run topless with out having to reflash the computer?

Thanks

AJ

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
VRODAJ said:
I Did the 16 Ga K&N and factory flash last July on my 02 Rod. Can I Run topless with out having to reflash the computer?

Thanks

AJ
Looks like there are 2 flashes out for your bike, 32065-02 and 32065-02A. According to the EFI Performance Calibration Information Chart, it looks like you can run topless with either. Supposedly there is slight change in the 'A' version map that has an improvement for running topless.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Randy, I have always had the 16Ga SE's. And the dealer did the Factory flash before I bought the bike. I have the K&N (SE) air filter, and no other mods. Just took the top off, moved the air sensor, and removed the (noisy, rattling) clips. (They just pull down and off). Put the top of the air box on a shelf. It looks like running topless, at least with my combo, doesn't require any other mods. Hell of a time for gas prices to go up, though. I just can't resist making that bwaaaa sound.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
On the flash question Rick Nielson stated that at some point they updated all the flashes to work either with or without the top. I am not sure what the date was that the change was made so maybe someone will chime in here with that information.

Here is the link to the pdf that he posted with the flash information on them.

http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4496

·
Registered
100 Posts
Max thanks for the info I know it was done in late 02' so I am sure its not one of the newer flashes... I wonder if it really has been changed or did they just add with or without top and left the fuel amounts the same as the old ones. Back in 02' running topless was not a thought. There might be a good chance that it has not been changed and they just added that it can be done as it has become a thing to do and they know that they would lose sales if not offered.

I sure would not want to run the engine lean in hopes for a few ponys but if it is safe to do so with stage 1 flash I would like to..

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: After a couple of hundred miles topless, I see no adverse effects, and after riding with the local HOG on a long run yesterday, (where we went a sedate speed limit all the way), I got 41 mpg. So no effect on gas mileage either. I'd say - go for it!.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When complaining that my '03 with the 28-tooth pulley was running rich, I was told by the dealer that older bikes ('02-'03) with the new 28-tooth FI calibration all run a bit rich. Maybe this is so that the bikes can run without the airbox top?

Max said:
On the flash question Rick Nielson stated that at some point they updated all the flashes to work either with or without the top. I am not sure what the date was that the change was made so maybe someone will chime in here with that information.

Here is the link to the pdf that he posted with the flash information on them.

http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4496

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't believe that changing the final drive ratio would affect a rich/lean condition....

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
Bruce i run topless and on St.Patties Day i was in a Rain/Sleet Storm that was Major, Roads flooded over and everything.
No water got into the engine, if it can handle the stuff i rode through (for 36 miles that took over an hour to do) it could easily handle a Drive-Through Car Wash and be OK.
Another thing i noticed is Hydro plaining (Sp?) is minimal on these bikes.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Thanks Shawn for the info, sounds like I have another simple mod to do... I noticed that the bike was stable in the rain as well. Rode from Milwaukee to Detroit in full rain last Labor Day. Just have to be smooth and controlled with the throttle.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bruce - You'll love the sound, if nothing else!

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I located mine in front, between the battery and the bottom of the air box. I drilled a hole, the same size as the one in the top, and stuck it in!.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Daniii said:
I located mine in front, between the battery and the bottom of the air box. I drilled a hole, the same size as the one in the top, and stuck it in!.
When you stuck it in was it a tight fight? I just did it and it was a little loose, should I be concerned? Thanks Robb

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine is a little loose as well. I'm thinking of drilling a smaller hole right beside it. As long as it senses intake air temp, all is well.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts