Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ride on!
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Going topless… I don’t have an unlimited budget… I have the SE slip-ons K&N Filter, Stage 1... Do you need to have the map reset or adjusted to go topless or should what I have work (no adjustments required)?

Thanks
:cool:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Inless you know what your A/F Ratio is I would say becareful!It could Run Pretty Lean!:ithappens

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
I have a K&N/V-Mods/PCIIIr(V-Mod download) and for some time was trying to figure out whether or not I wanted to go topless. I agree with KAZ -- the added airflow could cause you to run too lean. I decided to go topless and had the bike dyno'd to make sure I was optimizing A/F ratio.
The question you have to ask yourself is -- I may be creating a too lean condition by not knowing what my A/F ratio is, am I willing do damage my motor for what may or may not be an additional 4 hp without the appropriate compensation?

·
Ride on!
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay... I don't know what my A/F ratio... Can I just take it to HD to have them adjust the A/F after I mod it? just like they did after the SE and air filter change. I know I'm probly not getting the most that I could however, at least I wouldn't be to lean... correct?

Thanks for your input

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
Every bike has its nuances -- If you want to get the most out of your V-Rod you're going to have to invest in a Race Tuner or PClllr and have it dyno'd (fine tuned by a technician.) That'll cost you an additional $500+

HD does in fact have a modual for your configuration and running topless. Costs $150 and you could install it yourself. Here's the link
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...4309037296&bmUID=1073093119686&bmLocale=en_US

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
The P/N referenced in Michael333's post, 33241-04 is exactly for you setup IF you have the 28T pulley installed. The flash does not give you the option or 30T or 28T, it assumes 28T.

BTW, the SE Flashes are not user installable, it requires the dealers Scanalyzer or Digital Technician to upload. However, if you have the Race Tuner you can load that map yourself and not update the ECM for the 28T. Cost difference, $150 + ~$60 labor for the flash or $365 (discounted pride) for the Race Tuner + a laptop computer.

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
My bike came w/ SE slip-ons, high flow filter and the proper download. Is there actual hardware added onto the bike with this download or is it just a computer download to the bike? If hardware, where is it located? Thanks - Crash

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Crash it is simply a software change to make the fuel tables correct for the added air.

Max

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
Got it..is there any chance of that ever getting dumped and needing it squirted again?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
CW-VRod said:
Does that map come with the Race tuner? and With the tuner i have the option of choosing for 28t or 30t?
The race tuner comes with all currently available maps for all Harley EFI motorcycles (2001 and newer).

Check out the EFI section for more details.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Crash said:
Got it..is there any chance of that ever getting dumped and needing it squirted again?
Crash, The only way it would get dumped is to have something loaded on top of it. The system doesn't have a base map plus the additional performance map, it only has one in memory. The Flashes and the Race Tuner only overwrite what came from the factory with new baseline setting. You're no more likely to loose a performance map than the OEM map that came with the bike.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the part number 33241-04 flash, if you don't run topless with this one you will get all sorts of black smoke on a hard acceleration, run's great topless though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts