Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about going topless for the extra ponies, or doing the swiss cheese thing if I can get clear info on how it works best, but all this talk about induction noise is concerning me. What is it exactly (I have an imagination, but no experience with it) and how loud is it? What does it sound like?

I don't want to add "undesireable" noise that drowns out the "good" noise, if that makes any sense...:rolleyes:

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Right now,topless is a proven way to pick up ponies.The intake noise you hear people talking about is the throttle bodies sucking in the air.I really can't hear it,over my supertrapp,and with the hemet on.I can hear it when I don't have the helmet on.I personnally Like it tho.Sounds meaner.Just take it off and go for a ride,you be the judge.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Karl vrodvinny is correct you will hear the air rush taking place which with the SE slip on's that I currently run it can be fairly loud and you get all the extra valve noise to go along with it. That was my reason for looking for an alternative to the straight open top, a looking for the best of both worlds if you would. It only takes a second to try it so pop that top off and take it for a spin. When you go full throttle is when the noise is the loudest. It is just a matter of taste but I'm not that big of fan of induction noise myself.

Max

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Be sure to secure the clips that hold the top on or they will rattle like crazy, and relocate the air sensor.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Karl,
You will have to retune your bike with either a PowerCommander or a Race Tuner. My latest mod doesn't have the intake noise (which I very much dislike). The intake noise is an awful sucking sound. Just take the cover off, tape the air sensor to the the bottom of the air box and go for a short test ride. If the noise doesn't bother you then you will need a PCIIIr or the RT.

Pic taken before cut was cleaned up.

John

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Hey John,

I've got V-modded stock pipes, the SE1 download and the K&N filter. If I was to copy you would I still need a PCIIIr or a Race Tuner?

Thanks,
Craig

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
I kinda figured that. Do you know much about the EFI Calibration unit from HD - part number 33241-04

My thinking is that this would do both - allow me to cut my airbox as well as fix my speedo error (I have the 28T pulley).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Craig

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Your other option would be to upgrade to the '04 SE Slip On flash, install the 28T pulley (the new flash resets the speedometer for the 28T) and go topless or use John's modifications.

The net price will be about the same but you'll have the 28T. Without the 28T then the RT or PCIII would be required. Since the RT comes with the '04 flash you could get by without a dyno tune, it's pretty close. Unless someone with your mods posts a PCIII map you would need to get that tuned on a dyno to work right.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I think we were posting at the same time :)

If you already have the 28T then talk your dealer into upgrading your flash, maybe they will give you a break on the price. (yeah, right ;))

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Great minds think alike?! ;)

If I went with the new flash I would obviously remove the old one, correct? (sorry for the dumb question - not too familiar with this)

And would this new flash be compatible with my v-modded stock pipes and my K&N filter - as well as allow me to go topless and fix my speedo error? If so, this sounds like a fix all to me!

Craig

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Another thing...

If I did go with this new flash I imagine I am "stuck" with running topless or using John's mod, correct? I obviously can't do both, can I - use this flash for topless and with the top on?

The reason I am leaning towards the flash is that no one in my area is familiar with tuning the PCIIIr or RT. This is obviously a concern and thereofre I think I'd be better with a "plug and play" solution.

Sorry for asking the obvious, just want to be sure.

Thanks guys
Craig

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Craig,
Don't be sorry, these are all good questions. You can run with the top on after the new flash, but the bike will run a bit rich which is totally safe (unlike running lean). You will suffer poorer fuel economy though.

John

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. It sounds like that new flash is the way to go.

Another question. Just to tie this all together (there's been a lot of posts on this subject), the mod that Mark is working on is to totally remove the top and stick that acoustic absorption material to the underside of the airbox skin, correct? If so, I'd like to see how this turns out for you Mark.

One last thing. Are there any negative effects, such as water (riding in rain), etc, with going topless? I imagine you would leave the plastic filter cover on still and this as well as the filter would block most of the water - providing you aren't riding in a down pour. Any thoughts?

Craig

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
That is a good thread with lots of good info.

After reading it I don't think there is too much to worry about in terms of water - again, as long as you aren't riding in a down pour by the sounds of it.

I like what you've done John and I look forward to hearing your dyno results - I'd like to know if your ram air concept is better than simply topless.

If there is no ram air affect (which I can't help but think there will be) then I am interested to hear how you make out Mark with your acoustic barrier material.

Thanks again guys for all the info.
Craig

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
One more thing Craig.
Dyno results will not determine if there is in fact a ram air effect. You need to be at speed (wind) to determine that. The track will however.

John

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I don't think there's any real issues with rain. Frank and I have ridden in some real frog stranglers here in FL and the airbox stays dry.

Since the top configuration draws air in more than it being pushed in (ram air) the water falls off and only the air gets sucked in. If you modify the top to provide a direct injestion path for the air/water mix then there's the possibility of taking in some water. On systems where people have modified the top, like Frank's looking at doing, I think you'll need to introduce a deflector or a membrane that will push the water aside, preventing a direct hit on the air filter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts