Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone buried their speedo yet? When it warms up I'll do a video of it. See what she can do :) Don't worry, it's not my first (or last) time to do a foolish thing.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,131 Posts
c4550 said:
Has anyone buried their speedo yet? When it warms up I'll do a video of it. See what she can do :) Don't worry, it's not my first (or last) time to do a foolish thing.
Do it at least once a ride, 03 buried at 140. :sinister:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
696 Posts
Life begins at 150 :cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,343 Posts
Frank Storms got a speeding ticket at 147. It wasn't at redline yet.
 

·
I seek only water...
Joined
·
1,029 Posts
704 knots (~800 statute miles/hr) at 10 ft off the deck in an F-4 Phantom. Buried my '03 not too long after I got it. Eh, doesn't compare to 40,000 pounds of thrust from two GE's. :mrgr:
 

·
just a ghost now
Joined
·
2,719 Posts
Now that is real speed Michael. Your making me very jealous, must be nice.
 

·
I seek only water...
Joined
·
1,029 Posts
polizzio said:
Now that is real speed Michael. Your making me very jealous, must be nice.
I have to tell you polizzio -- after I got back from the flight I had to sit down and evaluate what I had just seen. It was so fast it wasn't real -- it was like a cartoon. My mind just couldn't comprehend it. It was definitely an adrenaline spike.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,622 Posts
Speed in gears is as follows (based on 9100 rpm redline).

Stock (30/72) 1-61mph, 2-91,3-113, 4-132, 5-147
28 tooth setup (28/72) 1-57mph, 2-85, 3-106,4-123, 5-137
Chain Conversion (22/58) 1-55mph, 2-83, 3-103, 4-120, 5-134
Chain (22/62) 1-52mph, 2-77, 3-97, 4-112, 5-125




John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
I have a 04, (28T Is standard on 04)
and mine will bury the speedo at 150.




(D&D pipes, RT, K&n, and topless)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,622 Posts
riverrattcom said:
I have a 04, (28T Is standard on 04)
and mine will bury the speedo at 150.




(D&D pipes, RT, K&n, and topless)

Then your speedo is WAY off. It's a simple math equation. 137 mph is 9100 rpm.



John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
715 Posts
Popped her Cherry at 137 on Autobon 6 from Kasierslautern to Stuttgart it was bliss :heart: dropped a few friends off at the pool while I was at it, had to pull off at the next stop. :ithappen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
974 Posts
Last year I got my a$$ stomped by a Yenko Nova , I quit at just under 130 mph ,but noticed I only had 8-900 rpm left until redline. I have a 29 tooth front pulley. So it takes a little away from top end. That is all I can add.
The driver said I kept as close as anyone ever has to his car in the last 5 years. So I was not totally depressed.

BobT
 

·
O-FNG
Joined
·
321 Posts
Ketsugo said:
Then your speedo is WAY off. It's a simple math equation. 137 mph is 9100 rpm.
John
Ketsugo...what math did you use?

mph = (rpm * rolling circum.) / (gear * final * conversion factor)

Is this what you used for rolling circumference of the tire, or did you take an actual measurement?

ie: 200/50 Metz on 18" rim
[section height 50% of 200 = 100mm]
[rim radius 18 / 2 = 9 inches]
[total radius 100mm (3.95") + 9" = 12.95"]
2pi x 12.95 / 12 = 6.78'

What did you use for:
- gear
- final drive ratio
- conversion factor

Just checking my math!!!!
 

·
SNAFU
Joined
·
13,094 Posts
John's off a little in his math. The theoretical top speed for a 28T bike @ 9100 RPM is 143.4 which jives with what I see, ~5000 rpm @ 80 mph.

The math ;)
in / mile = 63360
in / rev = 81.29
OR ~780 rev / mile (easier math)
rpm = 9100
final drive ration = 4.89 (30T = 4.563)
Tire rpm = 1860.941 (30T = 1994.302)
tire mile / minute = 2.386 (30T = 2.557)
tire mile / hour = 143.4 (30T = 153.4)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
Ketsugo said:
Then your speedo is WAY off. It's a simple math equation. 137 mph is 9100 rpm.



John
So you mean a D&D full system with baffle, a Race tuner installed, topless and a K&N air filter with a body wieght of 165lbs, Will run the same top end speed as a bone stock bike with a 250 lb driver????? :confused:

Or the same as a Modified Bike with the same tire size turning the same RPM?

Isnt that equation a general mathmatic formula, that other factors like humidity and headwind would effect also?

Just Confused.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,622 Posts
riverrattcom said:
So you mean a D&D full system with baffle, a Race tuner installed, topless and a K&N air filter with a body wieght of 165lbs, Will run the same top end speed as a bone stock bike with a 250 lb driver????? :confused:

Or the same as a Modified Bike with the same tire size turning the same RPM?

Isnt that equation a general mathmatic formula, that other factors like humidity and headwind would effect also?

Just Confused.
Well it won't exceed a specific speed based on where you have the rev limiter set with the R/T and gearing/tire height. My numbers are assuming the bike can pull 5th gear to redline. My statement was based on an '04 with stock gearing and stock rev limiter can't do more than 137 mph. Having said that, a properly modified bike will get to that max speed much quicker than a ton of lard on a stock bike. ;)


John
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,622 Posts
mjw930 said:
John's off a little in his math. The theoretical top speed for a 28T bike @ 9100 RPM is 143.4 which jives with what I see, ~5000 rpm @ 80 mph.

The math ;)
in / mile = 63360
in / rev = 81.29
OR ~780 rev / mile (easier math)
rpm = 9100
final drive ration = 4.89 (30T = 4.563)
Tire rpm = 1860.941 (30T = 1994.302)
tire mile / minute = 2.386 (30T = 2.557)
tire mile / hour = 143.4 (30T = 153.4)
Mark is correct. The bike stock redline is 8900 rpm, when you flash it with the R/T it becomes 9100. That's where I went wrong. So my numbers are correct except I quoted the incorrect rpm redline. Bottom line is wit a stock redline a stock diameter rear tire with a 30T pulley is 148 mph, and 138 mph with a 28t. :)


BTW, here is a cheater calculator.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/gearspeed.html


John
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top