Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a my 1k service at the dealer. The dyno showed horsepower at 110.6 and 122mph. Before I added the Tabs, K&N. and PCV, I had the bike up to 130mph on two occassions. Did I lose top end with the stage 1 mods? The bike definitely feels more powerful.

·
Throttle Happy!
797 Posts
I just had a my 1k service at the dealer. The dyno showed horsepower at 110.6 and 122mph. Before I added the Tabs, K&N. and PCV, I had the bike up to 130mph on two occassions. Did I lose top end with the stage 1 mods? The bike definitely feels more powerful.
I believe most dyno pulls are in forth gear so that could explain the lower top speed not being in that top gear.

My bike will sit at 135 and it seems like that's all she's got (which I'm happy with) but with the Stage I or II you'll get to that speed a bit quicker! :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that seems logical, I can't imagine losing almost 15mph.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I haven't had experience with bikes on a dyno, but from my experience with cars on dynos the "top speed" is more of a reference for comparison purposes more than anything. For example, my Dodge Charger's dyno "top speed" was 147 mph but I've hit the top speed limiter of 180 mph several times. Feels like it's got more to give, but tires are only rated to 186 mph. :)

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
I haven't had experience with bikes on a dyno, but from my experience with cars on dynos the "top speed" is more of a reference for comparison purposes more than anything. For example, my Dodge Charger's dyno "top speed" was 147 mph but I've hit the top speed limiter of 180 mph several times. Feels like it's got more to give, but tires are only rated to 186 mph. :)
:cupcake:

·
Registered
18 Posts
:them:

180mph no way, I've had our Charger interceptor up to 135mph it was close to the max...
Well, first off this topic is not about my car, it was an example. That said, since you are commenting on it, I have over $15,000 in engine and suspension mods in my charger. An SRT8 would put a police Charger to shame, and my car has more HP and lots more torque than an SRT8. But the proof is in the pudding...just contact the law enforcement officers down here about the black charger with license plates LANBO. A few of the police chargers have had some of the same engine mods installed in order to keep up with motorcycles in chases. You can squeeze quite a bit of power out of a HEMI.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Well, first off this topic is not about my car, it was an example. That said, since you are commenting on it, I have over $15,000 in engine and suspension mods in my charger. An SRT8 would put a police Charger to shame, and my car has more HP and lots more torque than an SRT8. But the proof is in the pudding...just contact the law enforcement officers down here about the black charger with license plates LANBO. A few of the police chargers have had some of the same engine mods installed in order to keep up with motorcycles in chases. You can squeeze quite a bit of power out of a HEMI.
I can`t see 180 with a charger .There maybe some horsepower but I doubt it has the aerodynamics .

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can`t see 180 with a charger .There maybe some horsepower but I doubt it has the aerodynamics .
Well, I'm not going to argue about it. Several chargers are capable of it, mine being one of them. I'm proud of it and happy to do it when I get the chance. That's all that matters to me. Feel free to check out chargerforumz.com if you want. I haven't been active there is quite some time due to school and work, but have at. Unfortunately, I'm probably going to have to choose between the bike or the car since I'm having a baby.

·
Registered
394 Posts
To return to the topic, don't use anything from the dyno to determine top speed. Dyno runs are best done at a 1:1 gear ratio (4th) and there's no wind resistance on the dyno. It's only valuable for measuring horsepower under the existing conditions.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
What are stage 1 mods?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, Basically help it breathe better...Exhaust, Intake, and Retune somehow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Isn't the top speed of the almost 600hp, V-10, "closest thing to a Formula 1", Dodge Viper about 178mph?:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Isn't the top speed of the almost 600hp, V-10, "closest thing to a Formula 1", Dodge Viper about 178mph?:D
Don't know much about the vipers, but according to wikipedia it says 202 mph.

EDIT: Also, there is a whole lot that goes into top speed other than horsepower. For example, my charger has 255/55/18 tires which are bigger than stock which helps with top end speed, but made a noticable decrease in low end acceleration. But my wife won't let me get new ones till these lose their tread.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My point was there's no way you hit 186mph with a Charger on the street. The Viper won't see 202mph either. The dyno's 147mph was about right for your Charger. My V-rod saw 122mph on the dyno, thus I've concluded it was indeed a fouth gear roll on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My point was there's no way you hit 186mph with a Charger on the street. The Viper won't see 202mph either. The dyno's 147mph was about right for your Charger. My V-rod saw 122mph on the dyno, thus I've concluded it was indeed a fouth gear roll on.
First off, I would not have continued this discussion here normally, but since it is your thread, I don't feel that I'm hijacking it, just merely responding to further prove the point that a dyno "top speed" is merely a reference point for comparing vehicles on the same dyno. My dyno tune was done in 3rd gear as is best for that car. I'm trying to be nice here instead of arguing with you guys but since everyone wants to call me a liar rather than doing even a tiny bit of research, try reading this.

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...er_srt8_vs._2008_mercedes-benz_e63_amg_page_5

They tested a bone stock SRT8 up to 173 mph. While max horsepower and torque numbers don't tell you much since it's more about the power curve than anything, a stock SRT8 has roughly 360 rwhp and 360 rwtq. Obviously that varies from dyno to dyno, but that's the average on the dyno that was used to dyno my charger. The first dyno tune put my charger at 366.61 rwhp and 383.75 rwtq. Can't find the most recent dyno tuned chart, but after a few mods more, it put me just over 380 rwhp and at 402 or 403 rwtq. And I've had tweaks made to the tune based on diagnosic recordings made while performing high speed runs through e-mail since I have a ram air hood. Couple that with the larger tires which effectively changes the gearing and go ahead and call bullshit again all you want.

Instead, if you've got a charger, and you want that kind of power, maybe you should be asking me what to do to it to get it that way rather than calling me a liar. Sorry if I've pissed in anybody's cheerios, but I don't appreciate being called a liar.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts