Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Do It Movin...
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had a need for a roadside repair... yet :D

But when my luck runs out, It would be nice to know I've got the tools and parts for a basic failure.

Right now all I carry is a belt mounted Leatherman, it feels like I'm little light.

What tools are you guys carring and where are you putting them?

·
Do It Movin...
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Max/Frank:
I saw the thread, I think it's a great idea... but what about some other essentials such as replacement bulbs, open end wrenches, extra fuses, flash light, maybe a spark plug... you know the stuff we carried around pre V-Rod/Cell Phone/Roadside Service.

I know our bikes are reliable and the fleet is young but... little :ithappens

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Cali-V you can try those things but really it looked like Frank had one of the best selections. It would be almost impossible to plan on a failure and have the correct part, if I were going to say anything to carry on the v-rod from failure reports it might be an extra rear coil. :) Really though I think the set of allens to tighten up things that might come loose and do minor adjustments would be about the best thing you could try. A small light as you mentioned is not a bad idea as well, you might even rig up a section of small wire about 14 gauge with clips on the ends that could be used to do a quick charge from a running cage in case of a weak battery. Bulbs are not as much problem especially if you have docs rear light. Spark plugs would be hard to determine for sure on the road and even tougher to change say the front one on the road.

My number one tool would be a tire plug and plugger, even though I don't like plugs the biggest problem I see is debris in tires. A plug and plugger could get you home or off the highway if caught early.

Max

Maybe we could start a number one tool thread to see what others think.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Does any one know what tools and sizes are in the standard HD V Rod kit, the one we don't get with the bike, but HD sells?
I've just purchased a HD rack bag for the V Rod, so I can store tools etc in this. The air box idea is great security wise though.
My leatherman never leaves my belt, and is worth its weight in gold. (Not that I've had to use it on the V Rod though.)
I'm really starting to appreiciate saddle bags!

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I have the HD kit. I have had to add several tools to it, mostly allen wrenches of sizes not provided, some used with my Kurakyn pegs, and a couple of box wrenches. The best feature, unfortunately, is the bag itself. .

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I bought a leather tool bag and strapped it to the side of the frame just under the key switch.I also purchased 2 pieces of the thick clear plastic that comes stock on the Rod to protect the frame under the key so that the frame would not be rubbed($3.00 at harley).I bought allen and torex wrenches that are like a jack knife and a pair of stainless combo pliers like for fishing.I also keep my paper work in the bag and carry a cell phone.If I can't fix it I'll just call the # on my HOG or warranty card and have it dragged home.Wall-Mart also sells a small overnight zipper bag that looks pretty cool.Maybe velcroe for this one!

Elrod on the V-Rod

1 - 8 of 8 Posts