Discussion Starter #1
Tools Required for Rear/Front Tire & Swingarm Removal

Tools Required for Rear/Front Tire & Swingarm Removal

Thanks everyone for your help.

FINAL LIST posted in How-to Section

Software:

____ Service Manual - H-D Part #99501-___ <-Your bike's year here

____ Parts Book - H-D Part #99457-___ <-Your bike's year here

____ Anti-Seize (4oz bottle) for the ....

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does the 30mm Socket for the Pivot Shaft Nut need to be a Deep Socket or will the standard length socket work?

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
I think standard should be ok.

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Updated...still need help.

·
Ted
1,631 Posts
Wow. You are thinking ahead. I usually start taking apart (read manual first) and whatever tool I need at the time, I go buy it. Usually means about 4 or 5 trips to the hardware store and lots of $$$.

What in specific are you looking for? Appears you have all bases covered. Just remember how the wheel spacers came off and put them back on the same way.

And if you take the pulley off, there is a spacer in around the cush drive compensator. Don't forget to put it back in and don't let it fall out and ding your rims.

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ihringert said:
Wow. You are thinking ahead. I usually start taking apart (read manual first) and whatever tool I need at the time, I go buy it. Usually means about 4 or 5 trips to the hardware store and lots of $$$.
Did that with the oil & spark plug change - don't want to go through that brain damage again...looked throughout the forum for a list like this and couldn't find one. Will post final list into the How-to Section once completed.

Any suggestions regarding Brake Pads, Rotor, Sprocket and Front Tire Removal?

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ihringert said:
What in specific are you looking for? Appears you have all bases covered. Just remember how the wheel spacers came off and put them back on the same way.

And if you take the pulley off, there is a spacer in around the cush drive compensator. Don't forget to put it back in

That's why I've got the Sharpie listed in Software - for marking and note taking purposes

ihringert said:
and don't let it fall out and ding your rims.

That's what the Painter's tape is for.

Are there any tools for the removal of the Rotors and Sproket? What Torx nuts are holding the rotors together?

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Opps...I meant Sprocket not Pulley

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Updated List - Nearing final for post in How-to Section if you guys say so??

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ihringert said:
This list is about 2 weeks late. :thumb:
Sorry brother!! Two weeks ago I was doing the oil change and breaking a sparkplug off in my cylinder head (pulled it out though) and wishing I had a list like this for that 4.5 hours, 6 trips to Checker Auto and 4 beers of my life!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
ihringert said:

And if you take the pulley off, there is a spacer in around the cush drive compensator. Don't forget to put it back in and don't let it fall out and ding your rims.
I just start tooling - read the manual when I am done or need torque value. :D

·
Registered
310 Posts
The 30 mm socket for the swingarm nut should be a thin wall. I went to the Auto Hobby shop at Foster and all they had was a 30 mm Impact socket. The diameter of the socket was too large to fit into the recess. I went to a tool store here and found a thin wall socket that worked fine.

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ZeroG2K5 said:
The 30 mm socket for the swingarm nut should be a thin wall. I went to the Auto Hobby shop at Foster and all they had was a 30 mm Impact socket. The diameter of the socket was too large to fit into the recess. I went to a tool store here and found a thin wall socket that worked fine.

Thanks Zero...update made. Any more suggestions before I post in How-to Section??

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
To pull the calipers off you need a 10mm 12 point socket not 1/4" 12 point. The 1/4" 12 point is only for the brake pad bolts.

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
V Ride said:
To pull the calipers off you need a 10mm 12 point socket not 1/4" 12 point. The 1/4" 12 point is only for the brake pad bolts.

V...I'm not suggesting pulling the calipers off more so just replacing the pads while their accessible during the rear/front wheel removal. I'm trying to keep the level of difficulty similar. Knowing this, is the listed tools correct?

·
Skunked 2003 VRSCA
92 Posts
devlpr said:
V...I'm not suggesting pulling the calipers off more so just replacing the pads while their accessible during the rear/front wheel removal. I'm trying to keep the level of difficulty similar. Knowing this, is the listed tools correct?
I had to remove my calipers when removing the wheels. Not sure how you would replace the pads without removing the calipers either.

V is correct, to get the calipers off the 10mm socket needs to be a 12 point, not a 6 point socket. When looking at my 03A, I'm referring to the silver 12 point 10mm bolts that hold the calipers to the frame/fork.

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BlueCamel said:
I had to remove my calipers when removing the wheels. Not sure how you would replace the pads without removing the calipers either.

V is correct, to get the calipers off the 10mm socket needs to be a 12 point, not a 6 point socket. When looking at my 03A, I'm referring to the silver 12 point 10mm bolts that hold the calipers to the frame/fork.

Did you separate the caliper from the bike by removing the banjo bolts and have to bleed the brake system afterwards or did you just remove the caliper from the rotor and replace the brake pads and then just strap the caliper (wrapped in a shop rag) to your frame with a bungee cord?

Any suggestions on better words than separate and remove would be helpful.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts