Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..pulling into a friends gravel driveway on an incline. The bike pinned me against a stone retaining wall,then layed down in the gravel.
After getting the bike up I see the shift knob snapped off and the shaft coming OUT of the tranny snapped,where the linkage slides onto:banghead:
How difficult will it be to replace that shaft??
My left leg/shin is pretty well raw too,but that'll heal.:mad:

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
PM sent. I can help you with this and your tank at the same time.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Don't worry, it's an easy fix. There are plenty of threads about replacing the shifter shaft.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
Pick up Xeroform at the pharmacy. Put it on the raw spots and wrap it up, it will keep it soft and flexable and heal with less scarring.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Man... sorry to hear about what happened. Main thing is your ALIVE!! I honostly dont know about your shaft situation....YES THE BIKE....if I did I would def. help you out. Sorry bro.

Joe

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Don't worry, it's an easy fix. There are plenty of threads about replacing the shifter shaft.
I thought that when you snapped the rod in that way you had to split the cases to repair it and the springs etc...?

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
There is a detailed 'how-to' in one of the sections (I can't remember where, exactly) that covers replacing the shifter shaft in cases like this. The caveat is that in some cases it's difficult or impossible to keep things lined up and to get the new shaft in. If everything works correctly, it takes less than an hour to fix. If not, it's about nine hours to split the cases and get it fixed. Then, of course, you're into buying new bearings, etc.

In Lux's case, being the hard luck rider, it would take 12 hours.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
There is a detailed 'how-to' in one of the sections (I can't remember where, exactly) that covers replacing the shifter shaft in cases like this. The caveat is that in some cases it's difficult or impossible to keep things lined up and to get the new shaft in. If everything works correctly, it takes less than an hour to fix. If not, it's about nine hours to split the cases and get it fixed. Then, of course, you're into buying new bearings, etc.

In Lux's case, being the hard luck rider, it would take 12 hours.
LMAO!! :popcorn :rofl:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Looks very doable to replace the shifter shaft without entering the case. Service manual even shows it I think.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
I thought that when you snapped the rod in that way you had to split the cases to repair it and the springs etc...?
Only on the pre-modern V-Rods (2002 - mid 2004)... you know, the ones without the paint. :hidesbeh:

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
xeroform

Pick up Xeroform at the pharmacy. Put it on the raw spots and wrap it up, it will keep it soft and flexable and heal with less scarring.
Xeroform works wonders:thumb::thumb:
Rinse dirt out with sodium wash first.

"shifter shaft" is approximately 100 buck$.I bought two spares for long trips.There is a 4 hour short cut for installation.....ask the forum guru's before taking into (st)dealer garage.
That ol' yeller vrod from rhode island(bproulxvrod) will getcha fixed fast

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
Xeroform works wonders:thumb::thumb:
Rinse dirt out with sodium wash first.

"shifter shaft" is approximately 100 buck$.I bought two spares for long trips.There is a 4 hour short cut for installation.....ask the forum guru's before taking into (st)dealer garage.
That ol' yeller vrod from rhode island(bproulxvrod) will getcha fixed fast
You can change that shaft in under 30 minutes. It's a piece of cake. Get the shaft and the seals. A pair of snap ring pliers and a rag to pick up the oil drippings.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
Did you fix it?

·
Registered
266 Posts
..pulling into a friends gravel driveway on an incline. The bike pinned me against a stone retaining wall,then layed down in the gravel.
After getting the bike up I see the shift knob snapped off and the shaft coming OUT of the tranny snapped,where the linkage slides onto:banghead:
How difficult will it be to replace that shaft??
My left leg/shin is pretty well raw too,but that'll heal.:mad:

Jim
Dropped mine in the driveway 2 days ago. Same damn place I did my dyna. Thought I broke my foot. Just sprained. Last second change of plan went down about 1 mph. Bike is fine. Another lesson on tennis shoes. Bought new boots today.

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took a closer look today..left shroud has a nasty dig in it..sighhhh..brother is a great painter/body guy..now I'm getting nervous about attempting the shaft..reading easy fix to splitting cases..thats something i dont wanna do.
fn leg hurts..grrrrrr

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
Took a closer look today..left shroud has a nasty dig in it..sighhhh..brother is a great painter/body guy..now I'm getting nervous about attempting the shaft..reading easy fix to splitting cases..thats something i dont wanna do.
fn leg hurts..grrrrrr

I've replaced two with no problems using the easy fix method without losing any oil. Like I said in the PM I 'm willing to help you out :) I could even come to you if you needed me too :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Have a beer then give it a try. Hope you feel better.

The beer works for me on projects :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm getting nervous about attempting the shaft..reading easy fix to splitting cases..thats something i dont wanna do.
fn leg hurts..grrrrrr
This happened to me a couple weeks ago. Very bad sprain on my left foot too! I was on the fence about doing it myself and did and glad I did. It truly was relatively simple but I have the early 2004 VRSCB model that allows the spring to slip. Mine did and I didn't have the patience to keep finagling with it. My girlfriend did have the patience and after about an hour, she got it lined up and slid in. Yours shouldn't be as hard because you've got a 2005, which has the springs that don't slip supposedly. So for those that have the 2002-mid2004 V-Rods, you don't necessarily have to crack the case if it slips. Just takes patience!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts