Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ‘03 A/E that I had a Zippers 1318cc big bore kit put in it and it ran fine for over 13000k then I was hit on it and lost my leg. The same shop that put the kit in picked up my “totalled” bike from inpound lot and took apart engine to make sure nothing internal was damaged and put it all back together and was ready to ride before even my Rbka situation was taken care of with the right prosthetic so I could ride again. She ran fine just as before accident. Then the week before the Sturgis rally in ‘18 I took her on the interstate to blow out the cobwebs before taking it in for an oil and filter change. I ran her balls to the wall pegging the 140mph on the speedo with plenty of room on the rpm gauge before reaching red. She ran great and I was thrilled she was still solid. Next day waiting to go in for the oil change she started leaking coolent from rear head gaket. Seems a bit of damage occured and I ended up with alternative plans for the rally. Anyway, same shop took her back and rebuilt her replacing pistons and related parts as the damage wasn’t catastrophic. After riding her the first time a good hundred miles, my air cleaner box was full of oil as was the rear cylinder rocker cover, my chaps, and right side of bike. I asked shop guy to pick up bike and fix the problem. They told me it was done and the second time, just as bad as first. He came got it again but this time, rigged a recepticle “canister” to collect the oil blowing out of the crankcase breather line. Thing is, it’s got a pitcock valve to drain the collected oil about every 50-100 miles. What kind of shit is this? I’ve been fuming over this more than a year now. He said he’d done extensive “research” into the matter and that it seemed to be a common problem with the Vrod. This canister/pitcock thing is bullshit! Isn’t there some way to connect a return line for that oil to be returned to the crankcase without all this bullshit? I don’t even want to ride this fucking thing anymore ‘cause I’m sick of wearing oil and having to wash it all off the exhaust pipes and engine block after everytime I want to go for a ride!

I feel like I’ve been totally fucked over by a guy and a shop I used to trust!😡

Anybody with a similar problem happen to come up with a better solution?

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I have an ‘03 A/E that I had a Zippers 1318cc big bore kit put in it and it ran fine for over 13000k then I was hit on it and lost my leg. The same shop that put the kit in picked up my “totalled” bike from inpound lot and took apart engine to make sure nothing internal was damaged and put it all back together and was ready to ride before even my Rbka situation was taken care of with the right prosthetic so I could ride again. She ran fine just as before accident. Then the week before the Sturgis rally in ‘18 I took her on the interstate to blow out the cobwebs before taking it in for an oil and filter change. I ran her balls to the wall pegging the 140mph on the speedo with plenty of room on the rpm gauge before reaching red. She ran great and I was thrilled she was still solid. Next day waiting to go in for the oil change she started leaking coolent from rear head gaket. Seems a bit of damage occured and I ended up with alternative plans for the rally. Anyway, same shop took her back and rebuilt her replacing pistons and related parts as the damage wasn’t catastrophic. After riding her the first time a good hundred miles, my air cleaner box was full of oil as was the rear cylinder rocker cover, my chaps, and right side of bike. I asked shop guy to pick up bike and fix the problem. They told me it was done and the second time, just as bad as first. He came got it again but this time, rigged a recepticle “canister” to collect the oil blowing out of the crankcase breather line. Thing is, it’s got a pitcock valve to drain the collected oil about every 50-100 miles. What kind of shit is this? I’ve been fuming over this more than a year now. He said he’d done extensive “research” into the matter and that it seemed to be a common problem with the Vrod. This canister/pitcock thing is bullshit! Isn’t there some way to connect a return line for that oil to be returned to the crankcase without all this bullshit? I don’t even want to ride this fucking thing anymore ‘cause I’m sick of wearing oil and having to wash it all off the exhaust pipes and engine block after everytime I want to go for a ride!

I feel like I’ve been totally fucked over by a guy and a shop I used to trust!😡

Anybody with a similar problem happen to come up with a better solution?
That much blowby and oil carry over, is an indicator of poor ring sealing. Do a leakdown test on it . While running it hard at high exented rpms will add a bit more oil to the breather box, you have way way too much. I vote rings and cylinder sealing. Front breather bullet is the drain back hole on these from the canister, more so then the rear.
Ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That much blowby and oil carry over, is an indicator of poor ring sealing. Do a leakdown test on it . While running it hard at high exented rpms will add a bit more oil to the breather box, you have way way too much. I vote rings and cylinder sealing. Front breather bullet is the drain back hole on these from the canister, more so then the rear.
Ron
So my solution to get these rings seated properly is what?

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Not sure what to say. Even new, unseated, it shouldn't barf oil like that. I'd do a leakdown test to see where you stand. Anything approaching 10%, there's a problem. Less then 5% is desirable.
Ron

·
Registered
473 Posts
Ron is telling you that IF a leakdown test shows an unacceptable amount (I agree 10% ish) then you are looking at a rebuild. Sounds like whomever is "working" on your bike has no clue how to diagnose (or rebuild) an engine that needs a rebuild.

Start with a leakdown test. You can do it yourself and "rent" the tool for free at Autozone/etc. Report back with the #s you get. If too much then it's off to have the engine pulled and disassembled for inspection.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident - we all fear losing a leg riding these bikes, a guy down the street lost his 1 mile away from home, sucks. Could be same problem on many of the '05 & '06 VRSCE's bad ring seating. Ask Mechanic if he replaced cylinder liners with new pistons & rings or just honed the existing liners ( or didn't hone at all ), also what oil he put in it - hopefully he didn't go straight to Full Synthetic or used auto friction modified oil - IMHO that's not good, you got a greater chance of rings sliding on very slippery oil on the cylinder walls and not seating. I'd inspect the seating of the oil vent bullets from the airbox, drain the oil, select a top quality break in Mineral oil like Motul 3000 4T 20/50 and go run it normally through a few heat / ride cycles increasing load & Rpm with each ride after that - if it seems to get better in a few hundred miles ride it a couple hundred more to be sure you got 100% ring seating, then get the break in oil outta there and go back to a Full Synthetic like Amsoil. Good Luck, let us know what you find out -

·
The Hawk
3,772 Posts
Make sure the breather filter in the air box between the throttle body velocity stacks has the filter inserts in it. The can will come apart and there should be a couple of fiber discs in it. I like to add a couple more on mine just to make sure all the oil gets filtered out and not blown all over the air box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Good point Elgavilan also that lid on the breather filter box usually has a loose fitting lid - and spits out I used oil resistant RTV on mine & sealed it down.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Good point Elgavilan also that lid on the breather filter box usually has a loose fitting lid - and spits out I used oil resistant RTV on mine & sealed it down.
Me too within the first week of owning it. Use to make a popping sound on the lid at idle, as the fit isn't snug.
Ron

·
The Hawk
3,772 Posts
Yup, that canister has 2 tabs on each half and I put an o-ring on it so it goes over the top tabs and under the bottom tabs, holds it together and no rattles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
This sounds like what mine was doing and it was just that the metal breather hose with the o-ring coming from the air filter cover base wasn't sealing to the head properly after taking the air cleaner cover off. I tried a couple times to reposition it and make sure it was straight, but couldn't get it to seal properly so I added a second o-ring pushed up against the original and it sealed it up and has been perfect since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts