Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Leonard Smalls
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As soon as I got this bike, I realized that the mirrors were useless (for seeing behind me anyway). So I went to HD and ordered the 'long stem' mirrors in black. When they came in I found out to my dimay that they were exactly the same as stock (just black instead of chrome). I put them on anyway because I preferred the black. Figured I would have to find some kind of aftermarket solution (not bar end tho....personally can't stand them). Found plenty that were taller, narrower, or really tiny. But nothing that actually extends further out (aside from bar ends). Apparently mine is a rare problem.

So I decided to take matters into my own hands earlier this year. I picked up some round 3/8" steel bar stock (the diameter of the stock stems), cut the stock mirror stems and welded a 2-1/2" piece (extension) in there. After grinding the welds smoothish I used a little body filler and rattle-can black paint to make it look sort of presentable.

Admittedly the mirrors vibrate a little at times (due to their extreme length...) but for the most part are just fine. Good part is now the mirrors are 90% filled with the scene behind me and just 10% with my shoulders (which is nice for perspective) figures that were reversed in stock form. Now I can see a car that is two feet off of my rear tire with no squirming or contorting where previously a semi in that spot was invisible to me.

Maybe I'm a wuss but I feel like I have been able to concentrate on just enjoying the ride alot more this year and not constantly contorting and twisting around to see what is going on behind me.

What do you think?

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Function can be good!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think thats great, function is always more important to me then looks (probably why i own a KLR 650)

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I'm just the opposite.I took the long mirrors off and installed the short ones on mine.
Why not just buy a long set from an 03,or an 04 and paint them?

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
wouldn't be able to split lanes with those Mickey Mouse looking things on my bars.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
nice work:thumb: A comfortable relaxed rider is a happy rider.

wouldn't be able to split lanes with those Mickey Mouse looking things on my bars.
I see what you did there....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts