Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Silver Bullet
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Facts to consider:

1. You are less likely to suffer head damage in a motorcycle accident when you wear a helmet than when you do not.

2. The American Motorcycle Association requires all racers to wear helmets to protect the riders if they should fall.

3. Laws are written from time to time for our own safety. For example infant child seats, adult seat belts, no smoking in public places, helmets etc.

4. Americans value choice so as a rule we do not like to be told what to do.

5. In some states it is legal to ride without a helmet and in others it is not.

6. So it is your choice if you ride with a helmet or not.

7. Those in an accident without helmets on average have higher health care costs as a result of the accident.

8. Some employeers will no longer cover motorcycle riders in thier healthcare coverage.

9. Your reactions to these facts will largely depend on your view of wearing helmets.

10. We need to figure out how to get reasonable on this topic so that we do not loose more of our rights. This is similiar to the fact that some people like straight pipes and others like quite pipes. But we no longer have that choice as society has ruled in stating they will not put up with excesive noise. If you want loud pipes eventualy you will pay fines when you are cought. Or some people choose to smoke and others choose not to. But society said your right to smoke is not a higher priority than other peoples right not to be made ill by second hand smoke. So you can no longer smoke in many public places depending upon state law.

I work in a healthcare industry and most of those I work with would like to ban healthcare coverage for motorcycle riders because of the excesive cost they add just because they won't wear a helmet. I support freedom of choice, but I also want to preserve my choice to ride a motorcycle and if wearing a helmet will assure that right, I will wear a helmet. Or do you think that motorcycle riders should preserve the choice to wear a helmet or not and in return pay a higher premium for thier healthcare coverage? In many plans smokers have to pay a higher premium because they drive up costs by thier choice to smoke.

Your thoughts?

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
here in missouri we have to have a helmet and I've always worn one but when we take trips out of state with no helmet law I've always taken it off, it sure is much more comfortable riding with out it. I'm not sure why I take it off considering my brother hit a deer and went down, cracked his helmet but not his skull :thumb:

I figure it should be your right to wear it but on the other hand if I didn't have to wear one here I probably wouldn't and I'd hate to hit a deer without one. so it's a tough question I guess.

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
Same reason people don't use condoms - once you get used to riding without one it sucks to wear one.

·
Dallas, TX
1,244 Posts
rti5fs said:
.....I work in a healthcare industry and most of those I work with would like to ban healthcare coverage for motorcycle riders because of the excesive cost they add just because they won't wear a helmet. I support freedom of choice, but I also want to preserve my choice to ride a motorcycle and if wearing a helmet will assure that right, I will wear a helmet. Or do you think that motorcycle riders should preserve the choice to wear a helmet or not and in return pay a higher premium for thier healthcare coverage? In many plans smokers have to pay a higher premium because they drive up costs by thier choice to smoke.

Your thoughts?
Then to make it a level playing field that these idiots would understand, you look 'em straight in the eye and tell them - some of which would fall into these groups --> that also means you ban people who are overweight because of THEIR excessive cost (diabetes, heart disease, knee and back problems) because they won't lose weight, you ban people who drive small cars because of THEIR excessive cost (laws of physics - generally speaking, when small car meets big car, small car loses), you ban smokers and drinkers because of THEIR excessive cost (emphysema, cancer, cirrhosis) because they won't quit; you find out if after an auto accident if the occupants were NOT wearing a seatbelt, then you deny their coverage because of THEIR excessive cost because they wouldn't wear a seatbelt) ... and the list goes on and on, and pretty soon, if taken to extreme, you've banned EVERYONE except those who are already dead, cause that's all who's left. :)

I get really peeved when folks start talking about denying health insurance coverages because of "lifestyle choices". Pretty much everything in life is a choice.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Boy, you're asking for a $hit storm here. This has been debated a hundred times. To each their own. Sometimes I wear a full face, sometimes I wear nothing (no helmet). It's a calculated risk we take & I'm not convinced a helmet makes my odds THAT much better.

Just for an example,

1) I can see and hear better without one
2) MOST MC accidents I hear about, I doubt a helmet would have made a difference.

Comparing motorcycling to smoking or a child car seat just isn't fair. Would you what the Goverment telling you you can't have a cheeseburger or donut too? These aholes that don't ride and make legislation against it drive me nuts. I think groups like HOG and others would lobby before it comes to anything extreme.
Thats why I'm a member of the NRA too.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've always worn a helmet and actually feel uncomfortable without one. I'm kind of on the fence about laws requiring them though. I don't like laws telling me what to do but I also understand that we all end up paying higher insurance cost do to higher risks/costs if we don't wear them.

·
Dallas, TX
1,244 Posts
pa-v-rod said:
Boy, you're asking for a $hit storm here. This has been debated a hundred times. To each their own. Sometimes I wear a full face, sometimes I wear nothing (no helmet). It's a calculated risk we take & I'm not convinced a helmet makes my odds THAT much better.

Just for an example,

1) I can see and hear better without one
2) MOST MC accidents I hear about, I doubt a helmet would have made a difference.

Comparing motorcycling to smoking or a child car seat just isn't fair. Would you what the Goverment telling you you can't have a cheeseburger or donut too?
That's cause you only hear about the spectacular ones, the ones that make the news, i.e., the hypothetical squid crotch rocket rider who, while riding on the freeway at 80mph in traffic decides to wheelie the bike then stand up on the footpegs letting go of the handlebars then wipes out.....I've seen these idiots in Dallas do this shit and it's only a matter of time before one of them gets a little Clorox thrown into their family gene pool and they get taken out when they cause an accident.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have always ridden with one. Not that big of a deal to me. Even when riding a dirt bike I wear one. I feel naked without it. It also depends what type of helmet you are wearing....quality and comfort. I wear a suomy and love it. I could not believe the difference from say a $150 to a more expensive one. Just my 2 pennies.

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
No choice here in the UK. It's illegal to ride without.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Jim J said:
That's cause you only hear about the spectacular ones, the ones that make the news, i.e., the hypothetical squid crotch rocket rider who, while riding on the freeway at 80mph in traffic decides to wheelie the bike then stand up on the footpegs letting go of the handlebars then wipes out.....I've seen these idiots in Dallas do this shit and it's only a matter of time before one of them gets a little Clorox thrown into their family gene pool and they get taken out when they cause an accident.
That probably has some truth and I'm not arguing for either side. But there's lots of stats out there here's a few; http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/809908.PDF

About 1/2 of MC fatalities nationally are alcohol related

South Carolina has 1/2 the # of fatalities as Pennsylvania, yet SC has more registered riders and a longer riding season. Both have no helmet law.

Maybe it's not ALL about a helmet, maybe it has something to do about a more stringent riders training course?? Tougher laws on DUI??? Who knows. It all would make a difference. Just throwing things out there.

·
bushatesblaksabath!
1,066 Posts
I wear one because I never want to rely on someone else to wipe my ass...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Jim J said:
Then to make it a level playing field that these idiots would understand, you look 'em straight in the eye and tell them - some of which would fall into these groups --> that also means you ban people who are overweight because of THEIR excessive cost (diabetes, heart disease, knee and back problems) because they won't lose weight, you ban people who drive small cars because of THEIR excessive cost (laws of physics - generally speaking, when small car meets big car, small car loses), you ban smokers and drinkers because of THEIR excessive cost (emphysema, cancer, cirrhosis) because they won't quit; you find out if after an auto accident if the occupants were NOT wearing a seatbelt, then you deny their coverage because of THEIR excessive cost because they wouldn't wear a seatbelt) ... and the list goes on and on, and pretty soon, if taken to extreme, you've banned EVERYONE except those who are already dead, cause that's all who's left. :)

I get really peeved when folks start talking about denying health insurance coverages because of "lifestyle choices". Pretty much everything in life is a choice.
You really hit the nail on the head with this one. Recently my employer made a policy that they won't hire smokers. It's to the point that they actually test for cotinine. I don't smoke, but don't agree with the policy. I do work in health care and among arguments was that smokers cost more to cover with insurance and that they don't reflect the healthy environment that should be displayed in a hospital. My response to a few coworkers that were arguing with me about it was....why don't we refuse to hire fat people then? Jaws dropped and total silence. Both coworkers are borderline obese. :angeldev:

·
V-RodPat
216 Posts
While there is more a small chance that having one's head near twisted off can happen from wearing a helmet in an accident (someone known to my brother suffered a fatal rotational injury on a bicycle from being struck from behind if I recall correctly), it is a good idea in most situations.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
When it's your time, it's your time no matter what you are wearing.

I knew a kid who died because of his helmet. It got lodged under a car tire as he was sliding by after a wheelie gone bad and it snapped his neck.

We've got at least two members here who's bacon was saved because of lids...DTHDOC and Larman4.

Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't. If it's the law, deal with it. If you don't like it, move, write your Congressman, or join ABATE. If there's no law, make YOUR decision and don't force or look down on others for their decision. I wear one 100% of the time on the road. I don't care what you do.

This argument always goes no where.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Helmet arguments are just silly. End of story.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.