Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain the benefits of joining H.O.G. and what it costs? Are you a member - why or why not?

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,147 Posts
I didn't see any benefit to being a member after my 1 year free membership. Seemed like a waste of $$$ to me to rejoin.

·
The Big Bad Wolf
301 Posts
Yeah, I'm still not sure. I've purchased a year, but I have yet to make it to a meeting at the local chapter (mainly because I hate this area I live in). Maybe once I move back home I'll get more involved.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Saved on a rental when traveling to FL, about half the cost. I beleive you also get better rates on hotels. Other than this, I'm not sure.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Waste of time and money!

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
I keep it for the towing, and entry into certain events. I don't participate in anything else. I've used it for the rentals, and yes, it will save you some cash. You can get a discount on AT&T mobile services and Best Western hotels when traveling in the States. I don't know what benefits are available on your side of the Pond.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Who are you kidding ? You only sign up so you can get another Pin for your leather vest :angeldev::hidesbeh::kiss:
LOL... I wish I could get my fat gut into my vest anymore... I won't need vest extenders, I'll need tow chains...

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,318 Posts
All silliness aside - I have signed up sporadically over the years and only because of the Towing package that is offered..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doesn't sound like the benefits are that exciting. I may check into my local chapter to see if they have lots of events that make joining a good deal.

Does anyone know how much it costs to join? And, does the local chapter also usually have dues?

·
Registered
298 Posts
hog club

joined for a little while, went to a local chapter meeting, when they found out i had a v rod you would have thought that i crapped on the thanksgiving day table! really no benefits that i know of, waste of money

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Found out the other day they no longer give you 10% discount at dealerships on parts and stuff. The Magazine is actually very good, I thought it would be more American Iron crap and the like but its not, its got some really good photographers and interesting articles from time to time, not just "Send in picts of you and your Ole Lady" crap. Get free towing through the Ins Co so never needed that. I know Her membership just ran out because the bike is a year old now so I dont know how much it was but its more than the MAg is worth I would imagine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Riding the Red-headed step child doesn't make you a favorite at the meetings. I would certainly get it for a Special Event that you like. I got mine for the HD 105th activities and then didn't renew.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
It's likely that if you're of the mentality to buy a V-Rod in the first place then you are NOT of the mentality to be hanging out at the meetings. Go visit one and see for yourself. It's all vests and pins and rules and pins and rules and pins. I'd rather be alone than hang out with a bunch of fat old men who, from what I have seen, ride dangerously below the speed limit (and yes, IMO where I live, riding below the posted speed limit is dangerous). Many of whom don't drink, cuss, chase women, talk smack, or any of the other normal heterosexual male pursuits in life. No Thanks!

It's basically the Girl Scouts for grown men.

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
To answer the easy part of OP's questions first, H.O.G membership is $45 for 1 year, $85 for 2 years, $120 for three years. Your local chapter will have dues on top of that, probably $15/yr or so. Click on www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/HOG/HOG.jsp

Re benefits, I suggest you get in touch with folks from your local chapter to see if you'd like to participate in their activities. Your local Harley dealer will have contact info for the local chapter.

I am a member and have been for over 17 years. I initially joined for the discount on parts and service but that went away many years ago.

Only you can decide if the benefits are worth the cost.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I don't want to be a part of any club that would have me as a member.

And besides, they really don't want the VRODS.
I'd rather be riding it than attend some event.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts