Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
impede none & evade
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a simple 1250cc kit for my stock 03 A model SE. A dealer says they are not available anymore. And they said if they were, the entire engine needs to be sent out for machining for it to work?

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
you can find the heads on ebay, and for the rest pm ohiovrod(scott)
he'll set you straight

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Being as the bores are in the top of the crankcase they would be right. Full engine strip to do the job.

·
impede none & evade
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I've found an offer for a kit that looks like good for me. Been chattin with the fellow who is willing to sell it.

Now at the twelfth hour here, engine is being torn down, I need a final push over to the kit, has anyone done this kit, and is riding it now? How long or miles on it etc? If you wouldn't mind, tell me your feelings from delight to hatred, truth is good, and anything you'd do differently or may still need to do? Advice is the key here. One comment is monoscopic, two are stereoscopic, three are the artillery solution I'm lookin for!

I PM'd ohiovrod but no answer as of yet. Anyone?

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
The 1250 kit by itself is pretty much a waste of time and money. If you are doing it you should really at least do a Destroyer crank, CP pistons and decent cams to make it worth while.

·
impede none & evade
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 1250 kit by itself is pretty much a waste of time and money. If you are doing it you should really at least do a Destroyer crank, CP pistons and decent cams to make it worth while.
Any reasons for these comments? I don't lemming off easily! LOL
What does a destroyer crank do for me? It isn't a part of the kit anyway.
What is indecent about the kit cams?
What makes CP pistons worth it? What makes them different?
I'm getting the kit for a pretty good deal. If you are analyzing from costs alone.
What helps me is not a racer's extreme perceptive best VS acceptable best.
I am not doing this for drag racing lore or enthusiasm or even such honor & prestige.
My motor is tired and rebuildable and the kit is available.
Seems like a simple upgrade without going into tweeked limits...I don't know.
I want endurance and reliability first.

Your advice would be much more valuable if you gave some definitive reasons for your comments. I would appreciate it. Thanx for responding.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Any reasons for these comments? I don't lemming off easily! LOL
What does a destroyer crank do for me? It isn't a part of the kit anyway. It gives you 3mm more stroke to bring that 1250 to 1302. It does NOT come with the kit. The kit just brings you to 1250 the same way the new bikes are built.
What is indecent about the kit cams? The SE cams are the same lift and duration of your stock cams just timed slightly different on the intake. The kit only includes 2 intake cams.
What makes CP pistons worth it? What makes them different? Cp pistons will be required to use the Destroyer crank due to the compression height.
I'm getting the kit for a pretty good deal. If you are analyzing from costs alone.
What helps me is not a racer's extreme perceptive best VS acceptable best. Have you seen the labor cost yet?
I am not doing this for drag racing lore or enthusiasm or even such honor & prestige.
My motor is tired and rebuildable and the kit is available.
Seems like a simple upgrade without going into tweeked limits...I don't know.
I want endurance and reliability first.

Your advice would be much more valuable if you gave some definitive reasons for your comments. I would appreciate it. Thanx for responding.

·
impede none & evade
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
02man98,

Thanx for the info..it is a bit sparse yet for me.
If you might continue:

What advantage to your recommended cams, pistons & crank would I feel? At what RPMS? Where is the noticeable and quantitative differences...high end cruise or torqued hole-shots? If you say both, roughly by what noticeable amounts?

The longer stroke seems nice, hence a need for the "better" cams?

What does the crank pistons and cams cost? Are the heads usable from the 1250 kit?

I have a very good/acceptable labor cost for the 1250 kit. It will be done by a tech who has done them.

What is the cost of these parts in the upgrade you are talking about?I assume there is a need for casework as well?

It seems we are talking HP per dollar spent. I need to evaluate the cost of the parts in your kit VS what I am paying for the 1250.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
02man98,

Thanx for the info..it is a bit sparse yet for me.
If you might continue:

What advantage to your recommended cams, pistons & crank would I feel? At what RPMS? Where is the noticeable and quantitative differences...high end cruise or torqued hole-shots? If you say both, roughly by what noticeable amounts? You will notice a good increase from takeoff all the way to redline. You could see as much as 20hp and 20tq increase.

The longer stroke seems nice, hence a need for the "better" cams?

What does the crank pistons and cams cost? Are the heads usable from the 1250 kit? Crank, pistons and cams will be about $1150 plus the 1250 kit cost.

I have a very good/acceptable labor cost for the 1250 kit. It will be done by a tech who has done them.

What is the cost of these parts in the upgrade you are talking about?I assume there is a need for casework as well? The main casework is the boring which will be done anyway for the 1250 sleeves.

It seems we are talking HP per dollar spent. I need to evaluate the cost of the parts in your kit VS what I am paying for the 1250.

·
impede none & evade
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK 3mm is 25cc per piston. Not much to blame for all the performance claimed. This may be of no value if compression is reduced or simply offset by differing or smaller pistons. You tell me where we can go before you get too much compression for street fuels? It may be stroked for torque rather than meant for revs?

So I'd like to know what is really going on with these 1302 parts?
Need to know if 10 hp for another +-$1500 is worth it..if you know what I mean.

The difference between the 1250 and the 1302 is exactly how much HP? My set up will be standard SE batman pipes and whatever map device is needed, if any, other than the stock SE I've got now.

I would assume most of the HP is some difference in the valving sizes and that lobe duration? Can you give me an estimate here where the HP really is coming from if you don't mind? Are the pistons shorter in any way? Are the heads the same..porting and flow?

Are you saying the crank, cams and pistons are actually meant to be added to the 1250 kit, or is there another 1302 full Destroyer kit?
So who is selling these "Destroyer" items?

Hopefully this is the last set of questions. Thanx for the answers.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Shavvo, Ken is correct he knows what he is talking about when it comes to the motor.

Ken, Shavvo has over 120,000 miles on his motor, does anyone have this type of mileage on the 1350? He is looking for something dependable and streetable that will last for many more miles. Many of the parts in the 1250 kit, will be the ones being replaced in the tear down from what I understand. (I am the one selling the kit to him, for exactly what I paid for it, from another forum member a few years back, plus shipping)

Shavvo, there is no destroyer kit, Ken as some others have just put a little something together to make the motor bigger with even more horsepower. Everything I have read makes me think the 1350 is a very reliable size, and would work for you. Ken's brain is a good one to pick, keep in mind that his bike is putting out some good numbers.

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,418 Posts
I might ask your dealer to hold off a bit until you get everything worked out. You have an opportunity due to warranty to built a bike up right at a reasonable cost. Just my :2cents:
IF you are going to have your dealer do anything more than a 1250cc upgrade ie: 1302, 1350, 1402.... then me thinks you are in for a world of hurt from them !! IMHO - I would send it to a forum member here first before letting a dealer do more than a 1250cc upgrade as there are other considerations to be taken into account, mainly clearance issues with crank, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
OK 3mm is 25cc per piston. Not much to blame for all the performance claimed. This may be of no value if compression is reduced or simply offset by differing or smaller pistons. You tell me where we can go before you get too much compression for street fuels? It may be stroked for torque rather than meant for revs?

Compression is slightly increased to about 12:1 which is more then safe for pump fuel. I amy running about 12.4:1 in my 1402 and have run 87 octane when no choice was available.

So I'd like to know what is really going on with these 1302 parts?
Need to know if 10 hp for another +-$1500 is worth it..if you know what I mean.

The difference between the 1250 and the 1302 is exactly how much HP? My set up will be standard SE batman pipes and whatever map device is needed, if any, other than the stock SE I've got now.

I would assume most of the HP is some difference in the valving sizes and that lobe duration? Can you give me an estimate here where the HP really is coming from if you don't mind? Are the pistons shorter in any way? Are the heads the same..porting and flow?

You would use the heads that come in the 1250 kit you are buying. HP and TQ is coming from displacement, compression, and camshaft profiles primarily.

Are you saying the crank, cams and pistons are actually meant to be added to the 1250 kit, or is there another 1302 full Destroyer kit?
So who is selling these "Destroyer" items?

There is no other Destroyer kit. You would just used the factory Destroyer crank combined with the 1250 kit and CP pistons. OhioVrod sells all these parts.

Hopefully this is the last set of questions. Thanx for the answers.
Shavvo, Ken is correct he knows what he is talking about when it comes to the motor. I think everyone needs to keep in mind that your motor is getting torn down, you are not paying to have it torn down just for the 1250, this is just a situation where you could get a little labor for free and your dealer is willing to work for you.

Ken, Shavvo has over 120,000 miles on his motor, does anyone have this type of mileage on the 1350? He is looking for something dependable and streetable that will last for many more miles. Many of the parts in the 1250 kit, will be the ones being replaced in the tear down from what I understand. (I am the one selling the kit to him, for exactly what I paid for it, from another forum member a few years back, plus shipping)

That is a very good point on the engine mileage. I was not aware of the travels on this bike. If Shavvo is just looking for a rebuild it would be even more cost effective to just purchase a replace 1130 sleeve/piston set and drop them in. Combined with new rod and main bearings he would be all refreshed on the bottom end.

Shavvo, there is no destroyer kit, Ken as some others have just put a little something together to make the motor bigger with even more horsepower. Everything I have read makes me think the 1350 is a very reliable size, and would work for you. Ken's brain is a good one to pick, keep in mind that his bike is putting out some good numbers.

I might ask your dealer to hold off a bit until you get everything worked out. You have an opportunity due to warranty to built a bike up right at a reasonable cost. Just my :2cents:

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Ken what type of coin is he looking at to freshen up the bottom end as you call it? Gaskets and all that good stuff?

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Ken what type of coin is he looking at to freshen up the bottom end as you call it? Gaskets and all that good stuff?

Zanotti's has liner assemblies with pistons for $150 each x 2 = $300
Gasket kit off eBay about $160
2 rod and 2 main bearings = about $80

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
I've read some serious stories here on the forum about Ken's motor and definitely it has to be a damn well put together motor, if I ever get the $, I would definitely count him in, not every 'enhanced' motor can be used for racing/street purposes succesfully... 120,000 miles??!?!?!?! :notworth: :notworth: :notworth:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts