Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A spinoff from the helmet discussion...

I was considering earplugs due to:

1. wind noise (even with my Arai it's loud)

2. Truck noise (frightfully loud when right next to a big one, I can't hear my engine for shifting)

3. Dogs barking from windows right next to head scaring the living crap out of me.

BUT...

It is less safe limiting my hearing?

KARAF

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
I wear ear plugs whenever I do not wear my Arai. With the Arai full face, I get little noise and it does not bother me. I could not imagin wearing plug with a full face, it would seem to be a bothersome chore

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Unless your bike is particularly loud, I wouldn't bother with earplugs on any journey that less than 45 mins or so, or if you aren't going to be spending much time at freeway speeds (i.e. 70 mph+). For general round-town riding, I find them more of a distraction than anything else.

The earplugs probably won't do much to eliminate the sound of barking dogs or roaring truck turbochargers. It'll be muffled - but you'll still hear it. What the earplugs DO very well is to reduce the dull roar of windnoise over your helmet - the sound that goes from annoying, to tiresome, to painful over an hour or two of freeway cruising.

I've also found that for the first couple miles of riding when I have the earplugs in - my balance seems a little off. Not enough to be dangerous, but enough that I'm extra careful making sharp, slowspeed turns, etc. After a few minutes it wears off - maybe it has something to do with air pressure in my eardrums?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Regardless of your helmet type, wear ear plugs. Everyone differs with preferences on this subject. I wear earplugs with my beanie helmet. If you feel that you want more hearing protection from your full face helmet, wear earplugs. It is not dangerous.

Give it a test. Wear earplugs for one week then take them off. You will realize that your ear drums are taking a "beating" without them.

:vrod:

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
I figure that nothing compares to sitting 3 ft from a 20mm gatling gun. Which I did for a couple of years as a sensor operator in an AC-130 gunship. (yes, we wore helmets, but they were loud!) Did I mention the propellor 6ft away in the open door?.

My hearing still checks out ok.

·
4,638 Posts
I have a hard time finding a pair of ear plugs to fit me .....I really don't know why they won't fit.......

Attachments

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I usually don't bother. However, after installing the V-Mods, I just might on longer runs. Tonight I had a 45 min ride home @ 80 mph w/ a skull cap. My ears are still ringing a little.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wear a custom made set every time I ride, both with and without my Arai full face helmet. I used to wear earplugs way back when I used to race short track and also shooting trap and skeet. I'm glad I did...

·
Cruzin' the Canyons
1,485 Posts
Ricky,
If you move to Los Angeles I might be able to hook you up with a Graphics
jobs doing Photoshop....

Luv you MAN !!!!

Lenny

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks

Thanks to everyone - great advice.

Think I'll go looking for a Shoei or Arai, a local accessory shop has a good selection, so I'll be able to try on a number of different models.

Thanks again,

EE

·
Registered
715 Posts
Iv'e rode the past 2 days I switched my SE to the Force street fighters shorts very very loud ear plugs are a must if you up grade and will travel far. :2cents:

·
Come back Max
435 Posts
Get a pair of custom ear plugs made from soft squidgey silicon. The expandable foam ones that you can buy over the counter are just not in the same league. I never go out without mine, even on short journeys and I have even taken to wearing them cutting my lawn and hedge. They are so comfortable you don't even know you have them in. And if you get them made out of clear silicon none else does either. My father is almost deaf in one ear and acutely deaf in the other. I have a feeling I will end up going down that road and the longer I can put that off the better. Look after your ears they are very precious.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Going through cute French villages the noise from my SE’s cracks walls and forces blood from the ears of the local onion sellers. Also very loud for me so I’ve taken to wearing ear plugs again. I don’t think the bike is any louder than my Ducati with Termignonis, it’s just that on the Vrod your head (and ears, hopefully) are behind the engine whereas on the Ducati you’re infront of the engine and so the noise is left behind; if you see what I mean. In general I’d recommend everybody should wear ear plugs. After 30 odd years of motorcycling I now suffer from partial deafness as a result of not wearing them earlier.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am a ear nose and throat doc. Damage to your hearing from loud noise ie loud pipes, is usually permanent. People will also develop tinnitus ie a hissing or ringing sound . Hearing protection may not seem cool to you now but it will be something you will wish you did. I agree the foam plugs are not really that great however they are better than nothing when worn with a full face helmet. Musician or shooters plugs can be obtained at most ear nose and throat doctors offices. You will need them to make an impression of your ears as they are custom made to protect you. I still have the stock exhaust and I wear a full face helmet. Feel free to go to my web site for information on hearing loss and tinnitus. http://www.princetonent.com/Aao/aao908/me.get?WEB.service.web.getContent.Document&http://aao.correctnet.com/aao/aaosyndi&AAOSYNDI_827 :birthday:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
entman said:
I am a ear nose and throat doc. Damage to your hearing from loud noise ie loud pipes, is usually permanent. People will also develop tinnitus ie a hissing or ringing sound . Hearing protection may not seem cool to you now but it will be something you will wish you did. I agree the foam plugs are not really that great however they are better than nothing when worn with a full face helmet. Musician or shooters plugs can be obtained at most ear nose and throat doctors offices. You will need them to make an impression of your ears as they are custom made to protect you. I still have the stock exhaust and I wear a full face helmet. Feel free to go to my web site for information on hearing loss and tinnitus. http://www.princetonent.com/Aao/aao908/me.get?WEB.service.web.getContent.Document&http://aao.correctnet.com/aao/aaosyndi&AAOSYNDI_827 :birthday:
Doc,
maybe you could arange a Group Buy on the Custom Molded Plugs for the Forum Members for COST? :hidesbeh: Anything to Promote Hearing Protection! :thumb: Really though ,I for one would be interested in a custom set.Price is always and Object,but this is Our Hearing were talking about! :kaz:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Super Kaz said:
Doc,
maybe you could arange a Group Buy on the Custom Molded Plugs for the Forum Members for COST? :hidesbeh: Anything to Promote Hearing Protection! :thumb: Really though ,I for one would be interested in a custom set.Price is always and Object,but this is Our Hearing were talking about! :kaz:
The problem is that the custom plugs are made from an impression taken of your ears. I do not know how we can do that over the internet

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
entman said:
The problem is that the custom plugs are made from an impression taken of your ears. I do not know how we can do that over the internet
I saw a Buddy of mine at the Race Track have a set made so I know it's messy.Is there a InHome kit we can use to take are own Molds and send them in?Were a Pretty Hand Bunch with Our Bikes so for Our Ears I think were could Handle It! :thumb: Maybe we can have the Mold Poured Locally then send them in to you Lab?Just an Idea to Help promote Ear Safety and to Help out our Forum Family! :kaz:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Super Kaz said:
I saw a Buddy of mine at the Race Track have a set made so I know it's messy.Is there a InHome kit we can use to take are own Molds and send them in?Were a Pretty Hand Bunch with Our Bikes so for Our Ears I think were could Handle It! :thumb: Maybe we can have the Mold Poured Locally then send them in to you Lab?Just an Idea to Help promote Ear Safety and to Help out our Forum Family! :kaz:
I am not aware of a home kit worth using, however I will speak with my audiologist and get back to you. Before the impression is taken:You have to make sure no wax is in the ear canal, no perforations of the ear drum. You also want to make sure you get all the impression material out of your ear canal when your finished. You also have to be careful not to cause injury to the ear drum . This is tuff to do on yourself, since you can not see what you are doing. The ear plug has to fit properly to protect your hearing and it not done right, it will be uncomfortable and cause irritation and possible infection.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts