Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing alot of reading on here and had a few questions. I am leaning towards a vrod muscle, i started leaning towards a sport touring bike, but being a harley die hard, that was tough to swallow. Taking from inspiration on here, i think putting on some saddlebags and windshield will fill my desiree that my springer does not give me. The few questions i had

1. What are the service costs for this bike. How much more then a standard harley, i know harley says you need to deal with the valves every 10k. What is your service interval 5k and what is a 10k set you back.

2. how often do you need to replace stock tires, curious what kind of mileage to expect with tires and brakes.

3. Are the harley bags/windshield detachable or permanent.

Anything else you can think of. Thanks

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
If you are interested in Turning a Non- Touring Bike (in this Case a Revolution Powered Harley)into a Touring Bike I think the Muscle is the best candidate for the task. Its Stock set up is the best out of the Revo Model line up to set up proper. Many believe the Bike Was indeed designed as a Revo Touring Bike originally but not released as one.

·
New but Old!
354 Posts
I have been doing alot of reading on here and had a few questions. I am leaning towards a vrod muscle, i started leaning towards a sport touring bike, but being a harley die hard, that was tough to swallow. Taking from inspiration on here, i think putting on some saddlebags and windshield will fill my desiree that my springer does not give me. The few questions i had

1. What are the service costs for this bike. How much more then a standard harley, i know harley says you need to deal with the valves every 10k. What is your service interval 5k and what is a 10k set you back.

2. how often do you need to replace stock tires, curious what kind of mileage to expect with tires and brakes.

3. Are the harley bags/windshield detachable or permanent.

Anything else you can think of. Thanks
1)Valve lash has been updated to at least 15K and I wouldn't worry until around 20k IMO.

2)Stock tires are crappy Dunlops, you should be familiar with them.

3)Lots of threads hear on windshield/ bags, but every model can be and has been adapted.

4) do it, this engine and platform will make you park that springer.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
2011 Revo bikes dont come with Dunlops on them any more.
fixed it for ya. Lots of '09 & '10 models left on the floors with the shite Dunlops.
1) service costs are minimal if you are capable of performing your own oil changes every 5k miles (up to 10k of you go with Amsoil)

2) How often to replace stock tires.... that depends on your riding style and weight you're hauling around. On my Metz tires I got 10k out of the rear and never lost grip, and could have gotten 20k out of the front.

3) the HD bags and shield for the F are detachable.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
fixed it for ya. Lots of '09 & '10 models left on the floors with the shite Dunlops.
1) service costs are minimal if you are capable of performing your own oil changes every 5k miles (up to 10k of you go with Amsoil)

2) How often to replace stock tires.... that depends on your riding style and weight you're hauling around. On my Metz tires I got 10k out of the rear and never lost grip, and could have gotten 20k out of the front.

3) the HD bags and shield for the F are detachable.
Well I assumed that the word New meant Newest or Latest model.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The windshield for the vrscf is detachable. The bags are not. I've been looking at the bags and I think they could be made detachable pretty easy. I own a F and have the bags and shield. Maintenance is way easier on this than the airheads.

·
Registered
298 Posts
satisfied

2004 v rod has been trouble free, would recommend changing to synthetic oil, seems to shift a lot easier. recently took a three hour ride to the lone star rally. not a bad trip at all.

·
Peaked At Birth
5,198 Posts
Welcome Roadrash, hope to see you on one of our rides!

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
Everyone I ride with says I made a mistake buying a Vrod. I sold my 01 Dyna for the R and it is the best mistake I ever made. My freinds change their mind when they ride it.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Buy!!!!

·
Noel
4,598 Posts
Well I assumed that the word New meant Newest or Latest model.
Was thinking the way you were too LUX, leave it to the guys in the LEGAL Dept, they just want to ensure we are absolutely clear & specific. (LOL)

·
New but Old!
354 Posts
Was thinking the way you were too LUX, leave it to the guys in the LEGAL Dept, they just want to ensure we are absolutely clear & specific. (LOL)
Just to clarify this enthralling discussion, OP did not use the word new! That word was introduced in post 5:D Let the lawyers figure it out.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Took a break from the pouring rain and stopped in at the local HD dealer. Out of the full range of bikes in there, the muscle is the only one I would have rode away on. It would have taken a few days to order a 2011 because they had the 2009s at a higher price than list on a 2011! If you do buy get the ABS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts