Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
"Doc"
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... what front wheel will you choose and why?

I am looking at a 21 because it looks better in MHO and i was told it will ride better.

But having doubts, and would like to hear the opinions of those that chose one vs the other when faced with that choice.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I cant imagine it riding better than a 19" myself. It'll have the same or less sidewall height and would likely ride the same or harsher IMO. A 21 should last 9.5% longer than a 19 though.

·
"Doc"
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cant imagine it riding better than a 19" myself. It'll have the same or less sidewall height and would likely ride the same or harsher IMO. A 21 should last 9.5% longer than a 19 though.
I was told that it is more stable on Hwy and i ride almost all on Hwy and Frw. Did u install a 19" on yours and why?

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
It comes with a 19", all of them do.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
I have had 21" on a couple of bikes,they tend to follow irregularities in the road more than 19".but I have wondered what a 16" would look like.

·
Work in Progress.
448 Posts
The bigger the wheel the less revolutions it will do to the mile. Spinning slower means less centrifugal force and gyroscopic effect.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The 21s are thinner and do track road grooves more. Ever get one with the thread grooves going around the wheel as they love rain grooves in the road.

Yes, they will spin slightly slower and are typically lighter. However, the taller tire up front will increase your trail by about .5 inches. This will slow your turn in and will make the steering feel heavier.

With a 21 on an FXLR during aggressive counter steering, you can get the tire to pop off of the ground going from side to side.

Keep it stock or go 17".

·
"Doc"
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 21s are thinner and do track road grooves more. Ever get one with the thread grooves going around the wheel as they love rain grooves in the road.

Yes, they will spin slightly slower and are typically lighter. However, the taller tire up front will increase your trail by about .5 inches. This will slow your turn in and will make the steering feel heavier.

With a 21 on an FXLR during aggressive counter steering, you can get the tire to pop off of the ground going from side to side.

Keep it stock or go 17".
actually the 21 i am looking at are thicker 3.5x21 vs the 3x19.

I get the steering heavier feel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts