Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing the unit and my "front" cable (as marked) is extreamly long (from the autotune unit in the airbox) and the "rear" cable (as marked) is very short. And so it seems, while running the O2 sensor wire from the right to the middle of the bike (behind the engine), up through the seat and forward to the left side of the airbox, I have no more cable. Short a few inches. I have the wire tucked in the holders that the previous rear sensor wire ran. Has anyone else had this problem? It seems to not make sense the rear is so short and the front is extreamly long. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have my AT mod zip tied to bracket over my battery and rear cable still reaches.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response,

I followed the instructions and installed the autotune unit to the airbox mounting tabs. Not much wiggle room there (it seems I need four - five inches more (the story of my life right). I ran the sensor wire along the same track as the original, under the exhaust, into the clamp on the bottom, up through the plastic clamp and into the middle of the opening in front of the seat. (Not sure if installing it on an F makes a difference. Not according to the instructions.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have my AT mod zip tied to bracket over my battery and rear cable still reaches.
Thanks for the response,

Question, did you run the rear sensor wire from the sensor along the same path as the original wire ran? (see my note above for details please).

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I'm not sure why they did that, anyone care to shed some light behind the logic of this?

In any case, I had enough room without a problem for the rear cable, with my auto tune being mounted on my airbox tabs in the front, as per instructions.

You also get more clearence than the stock exhaust with an after market system, My Rinehart has better positioning for the O2 sensors.

·
So. Cal. Cruzin'
101 Posts
I did what the "distructions" said I know the right was shorter but I dont recall having any issues with running the cable i will run down to the garage and try to refresh my memory its been about a year and a half since I did it!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I didn't have an issue with my install, but you can just swap the front & rears as long as you swap the tags and make sure they are plugged in to the correct ports.

·
DXA+ Member
262 Posts
I didn't have an issue with my install, but you can just swap the front & rears as long as you swap the tags and make sure they are plugged in to the correct ports.
" You sir are an IDIOT "

·
DXA+ Member
262 Posts
I discussed this with him before. There is nothing to swap that will make the lengths any different. Its annoying that he keeps telling people this.

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
It is annoying and one of the cables is too short from the factory. Mine does reach, but it's pretty close and I have to pretty much lay it on top of my coolant box. They also use those humungous connectors that are hard to route anywhere.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Thanks for the response,

Question, did you run the rear sensor wire from the sensor along the same path as the original wire ran? (see my note above for details please).
not sure of the factory routing on my dx but I ran it under the airbox following the left side rail/main harness, under the coolant res then down through the clip thingy. I have a 2/1 exhaust. ............maybe that is the diff?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I discussed this with him before. There is nothing to swap that will make the lengths any different. Its annoying that he keeps telling people this.
sorry buddy, but on the kit I received there was a six inch difference between the two sensor cables.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
The cables are different lengths, with the rear, for whatever reason, being much shorter.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I'm half tempted to remove and measure the lengths, but just not worth the hassle.
Flexin: measure the two cables, and if they are indeed two different lengths with the rear being longer, then swap. If they are the same length, you may need to become a bit creative with the routing.
I was fortunate with my install as I did not have preexisting O2 bungs, so I was able to install the bungs to suit the cables.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
^ You don't need to, I know for a fact 100 % they are different lengths.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Just call the thundermax people. I hear they are real easy to work with.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey all, thanks for the responses.

I called this morning, he just suggested I route it differently. So I did not follow the original route of the rear cable. I went straight from the O2 sensor 45 degrees to the seat (ensuring clearance between the exhaust and head, secured with two black zip ties to keep that shape and then up to the left side of the box. So there we have it, different locations for the O2 sensor would have made a difference, but, all is connected, even thought that bastard was short. The rear O2 sensor was a very tight fit also for the F. Just don't strip the threads with it going in off center.

Thanks for all the replys and hope this helps someone else.

My ass has been riding for the last six hours, nice unit. Plug and play for me. Pipes also sound great (but loud) V&H Slip-ons.

All, have fun this weekend and go for a ride if you can.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts