Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
tbird71
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bot an 06 VRSCA from an individual in Nov 10.

He bot it new still had the original MCO for it.

I told him he had to send it in and pay the tax
he said he would. Wrote me out a BOS guaranteeing clear title. Like a fool I pd him cash and took copies of everything. (Bigg mistake, I know I screwed up.) Was waiting for him to send in the MCO and get me the title.

2 mos. later I get the MCO back no return address no title and he has disappeared
He's not gonna pay the tax. Why he sent the MCO back is beyond belief. But I do have it and the original DOR Tax showing where he pd 16,995.00 for it.
Amt of tax owed is 1400.00

No, I cant pay the tax for him. They wont let me. He has to pay
then get title and send to me, and he has joined Bin Laden and cannot be found.

Now, I have an 06 with only 197 miles on it (pic in profile) and
cannot get title.
No, even my lawyer said too costly to try to find and get him to pay
so that's out.

So, anyone with a frame and title out there or who wants a brand new Vrod for 6500.00 it's yours. I'm through trying.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Pm rsc.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
My best guess is he still has a lein on the bike and the title is in the possession of the bank. He took your money and split. His credit probably already sucks............

There is a branch of the Secretary of State Police in Illinois that deals with these kids of cases, you can print out a form online and mail in the complaint. This is becoming a very serious problem.

Strip the bike down and sell the parts, you should be able to recoup your money that way minus your labor.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Where did he buy it from? Dealers in NJ will only send the MCO to the state DMV of the new owner. I take it you have tried going to the DMV to sort this, maybe talk to someone "up the chain" of command there, from what I understand your state needs the money! Call Harley and see if you can get a history on the bike, like which dealer it was sent to etc.

Shame for you to miss out riding the Vrod.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
My best guess is he still has a lein on the bike and the title is in the possession of the bank. He took your money and split. His credit probably already sucks............

There is a branch of the Secretary of State Police in Illinois that deals with these kids of cases, you can print out a form online and mail in the complaint. This is becoming a very serious problem.

Strip the bike down and sell the parts, you should be able to recoup your money that way minus your labor.
:them: Also curious how and why the taxes were not paid. If on credit, that should have been done by the lender, no?

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,431 Posts
Where did he buy it from? Dealers in NJ will only send the MCO to the state DMV of the new owner. I take it you have tried going to the DMV to sort this, maybe talk to someone "up the chain" of command there, from what I understand your state needs the money! Call Harley and see if you can get a history on the bike, like which dealer it was sent to etc.

Shame for you to miss out riding the Vrod.
CT is the same way..title goes right to the DMV..the bank notifys the DMV when the loan is paid and then the DMV sends it off to the registered owner

·
tbird71
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Guys, I wish it was that easy.

Problem is, he pd CASH for the bike. No bank involved. No lein.

In MO, when you buy a bike (and pay cash) they give YOU the MCO and the tax papers, and it's
the BUYERS responsibility to send in the tax money owed. At least it was that way in 2006.

You send the paperwork and tax in, they send you the title. I would never have bought this if it had a lein or was bank owned. Since he had the original MCO and bill of sale I figured it would be fine.

(I mis judged him and thought he was a human being, not the lump of schmegma he turned out to be.)

That's where the rub is here.

My guess is the pussy laid it down litely right after he got it, got scared of it, and parked it. Then just didn;t send in the tax because he figured he'd never ride it, so why pay the money? He was definitely on the short list for brains. My fault was believing him.

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Hypothetically speaking - Would it help you to get it registered if you'd bought it from overseas?

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
No...

Missouri tax dept has a hold on the title.

Bike has been issued a warranty by the dealer.

Only the owner can pay it.

If you tried to pay it and they gave him the title the the owner can say they owe him for the bike.

This will never happen. Even with a BOS and signature; they will not do it.

It has to been done in person.

The other option is to call the tax dept. and see if they will consider the bike abandon.

Tom Give them a call, ask them about this option.

Hope this helps.

Rod

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Hypothetically speaking - Would it help you to get it registered if you'd bought it from overseas?
Do you know anyone who can change Vin numbers...LOL

:D
:hidesbeh:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
how about a mechanics lien?

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
I'm guessing you got the bike from Missouri and its in your shed in Illinois. If you have some info on him, name, where he worked, SS number, DL number I'm sure he can be tracked down. I think you need to talk with a MO tax inspector as I'm sure something can be done. Getting passed the programed people can be tough.

Don't give up just yet!

·
Noel
4,598 Posts
. I think you need to talk with a MO tax inspector as I'm sure something can be done. Getting passed the programed people can be tough.

Don't give up just yet!
:them:
There has to be a legit process to remedy this issue, even if it's on your DIME, you pay the past due (original purchase event) sales taxes with interest.

I know you've tried once to do this and got shot down, but there still should be a bypass where everyone wins.

Parting her out still would be a problem for the engine/frame I would think you need a title showing its lineage when building or repairing another vehicle.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think a lien on the bike would be the best bet. Tell them you took it on pawn and owner has voided agreement. You may have to pay back taxes but might get somewhere. Thats just a bad situation. Some people have no morals now a days.

·
Noel
4,598 Posts
I figured it might be a silly question as the paperwork has already been through the system :(
From my take on the Original Post, the paper work never got to the DMV, the original owner was probably riding around for a few weeks on a TEMP TAG, had a life changing experience with the bike and decided not to ride her ever again. When the TEMP expired, the bike sat useless while the original owner began looking to sell it.

Thinking why should I shell out $1400 bucks on sales tax & registry fees to get the MCO converted to a Title of Ownership, he said fukital and eventually sold it to the OP.

Now the OP is stuck in bureaucracy hell trying to remedy the situation.

I'd like to expand on WHY there should be a legal process to clear this scenario; another post mentioned the ABANDONMENT concept, let me stretch that to death of the original owner with no will or heirs or estate/executor.

In property matters it would come into the hands of a Probate court to decide who gets what, especially for creditors who come to the court with claims for debt's owed. I'm not saying the probate court should be employed in this mess, but the MO-RMV & MO-Treasury should have an administrative function to help clean this mess up.

·
Noel
4,598 Posts
I think a lien on the bike would be the best bet. Tell them you took it on pawn and owner has voided agreement. You may have to pay back taxes but might get somewhere. Thats just a bad situation. Some people have no morals now a days.
That might work, I have seen it done here in MASS, but there is a legal process to follow it involves a sheriff's sale, the lien claimants would be MO Tax Authority on the sales tax super priority, over the possessory lien (pawn Lien), paper work filed with the local court, legal notices published of execution of right of sale, at some point a public auction would occur, the risky issue here is a third party might bid & win, the proceeds would pay all other claimants (MO Sales Tax, the OP for his interest in the bike (what he paid for it, plus any excesses).

Hell of a lot of legal work, when a simple administrative process could resolve this in ten minutes!

·
tbird71
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will pursue the abandonment idea next week.
I'm more than willing to pay his tax if that's what it takes, just as Taxhog says, tho it's a beurecratic mess. I did learn a lesson here for what that's worth.

If I was to open a bar I could hang the damn thing and use it as an ornament, albeit an expensive one.

The more I read these posts, the more determined I am to get this situation resolved. Before it cuts into my ride time in spring. Too old now to let anything do that at this point.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
I would not give up Tom. Good to see you are staying on this.

I am going to make 1 more phone call on Monday to see what else I can find out.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

rod

1 - 20 of 21 Posts