Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I had the bike up on the stand to check the rear swingarm play (there was none), I decided to really clean/polish the rims. Mothers Billet is really great stuff.
Unfortunately, (or fortunately as it turns out) while I was there, I discovered I had about a foot of tire cord showing on the rear tire! Oops. Thats the bad news. Good news is I bought a lifetime tire replacement warranty with the bike. Guess I won't go riding tomorrow.
Really scary to think I have been driving it with the tire worn as bad as that. The tire was put on new at 3500 miles, when I bought the bike. It has 9250 on it now. The front is cupped so I'll have it replaced as well. Guess I'll see if they can do the 10000 mile check at the same time. (I have a prepaid manitenance agreement as well).
I will do the Syn oil again.

· Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would, but I believe the "deal" is for replacement with what was supplied originally - Dunlops. I plan to ask what my options are, however.

· Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm having second thoughts about the 200. I have the factory leather bags. I hear lots of discussions about trimming stuff to clear some of the 200's available. I'm concerned about bag superstructure and a 200 tire. Anyone have a 200 and the leather bags??

· Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Called the dealer about my tires. Dunlops are standard, and they recommended against the 200 Metz cause of the known problem with the belt guard. Guess next time I'll do the guard ahead of time (or get the Rizoma like I want anyway).
They said they now do the valve inspection at 20K, so they will change the oil and whatever else is required at the 10k service. Best of all, they are picking the bike up this morning at the house (it was 24F outside when I left for work, no charge).

· Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was the Allen store. How long ago was that? He said the policy was revised recently.... As always, if you wonder about just about anything, follow the money.. I'll ask when I pick it up.

· Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
When I purchased the tire deal (good only at the local dealer(s)- I have to go look to see what it cost - I'm thinking it was $500), the salesman asked me if I really owned my old BSA for 35 years. When I said yup, he said " they will probably hate me for selling you this policy". Time will tell.

· Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Max - the dealer just called. The 10K is required on the '03. Fortunately it is covered, but he is going to do it.

Dan

· Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'll be interested to see what the labor charge is for the tire change....

· Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Max, I think we had one report of a guy who had to have them adjusted. See bruzer above.

· Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Shouldn't pay for labor for the valve check. But may have to for tires (this is my first round with that). At 7500 miles, I only paid for the Syn oil.

· Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I figure you are right, Max. Especially considering they went to 20K on the '04's. And I would vote for #2 of your list above. I'll report Wed when I pick up the bike if they did anything to mine. It hasn't ever leaked a drop of oil up to now. I AM nervous..

· Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Just spopke to the dealer. As you suspected Max, no valve adjust was required. He told me that to date they have had to adjust one valve out of all the ones they have examined, and in retrospect, that one should have been left alone. Very involved, he said, requiring removal of all the top of the motorcycle. Thank god for pre paid warranty. Also replacing rear brake pads, both tires, and changing the oil. (with Syn again) I pay labor on the tires, additional cost for syn oil, and everything for the brake pads. I'll report the total cost later tonight (assuming they get it done today), otherwise Saturday.

Off to Boise (flying) tomorrow early. I'll take a warm coat, back late Friday. Supposed to be 60 on Sat . Haven't ridden in a week. Having severe withdrawl symptoms (helped by the fact it hasn't been over 40F since I took it in).:notworthy

· Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Final report:

Rear tire - $182
Front Tire - $137
Oil filter, plugs, Gaskets, Rear Brake pads, - $182
Valve Check -$455
Tax $50.79
Total - $977.25, No Charge to me!

labor for two tires, synthetic oil, tax - $159.44 - My cost.

Pick Up at my house - no charge.
(I retrieved it myself - wanted to chat with the service manager)

Valves did not need any adjustment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.