Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had the bike up on the stand to check the rear swingarm play (there was none), I decided to really clean/polish the rims. Mothers Billet is really great stuff.
Unfortunately, (or fortunately as it turns out) while I was there, I discovered I had about a foot of tire cord showing on the rear tire! Oops. Thats the bad news. Good news is I bought a lifetime tire replacement warranty with the bike. Guess I won't go riding tomorrow.
Really scary to think I have been driving it with the tire worn as bad as that. The tire was put on new at 3500 miles, when I bought the bike. It has 9250 on it now. The front is cupped so I'll have it replaced as well. Guess I'll see if they can do the 10000 mile check at the same time. (I have a prepaid manitenance agreement as well).
I will do the Syn oil again.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would, but I believe the "deal" is for replacement with what was supplied originally - Dunlops. I plan to ask what my options are, however.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm having second thoughts about the 200. I have the factory leather bags. I hear lots of discussions about trimming stuff to clear some of the 200's available. I'm concerned about bag superstructure and a 200 tire. Anyone have a 200 and the leather bags??

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have the Metzler 200 and the leather bags. No trimming because of the bags. I only had to trim the belt guard to get the 200 to fit. Go for it!

·
Ride on!
267 Posts
Hey guys

Just a quick question... I don't know so this may be a stupid one however... is the metzler 200 a 55 like the 180?

thanks
Howard

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The Metzler is a 200x50 not 55 as the original is. But the roll out is almost identical as the factory 180 so no speedo error is encountered.

Max

·
Ride on!
267 Posts
Thanks Max

Just a couple of quick (additional) questions... first: will the metz last longer than stock? second: are there additional advantages to going to the metz (other than looks cool)?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
vrsca2003 I already have a couple of thousand more miles on my metz then I got from my stock dunlop but I'm hard on tires. There is a very slight difference in how the bike handles, does take a little more lean to get it to roll in the corners is my own opinion. Looks are probably the biggest reason to make the change since you could get a metz in the 180x55 that would get the better mileage as well.

Max

·
Registered
974 Posts
My goodness Daniii. I got 9,783 miles out of my original tires and I am a highway/expressway flyer(about75 true mph average 67 miles each way per riding day).Probably 2,000 of the miles were 2 up riding too. The roads in TX have more grippy stuff maybe ?
Some roads up here almost lok like diamonds on them from that gritty additive but they are ussually small roads with sharp turns.
The real question is as follows though.
Can you Upgrade to a 200 under the warranty(lifetimetires) ?
I was never offered this option.
Good luck. It will only be a few days of downtime !
BobT

·
Ride on!
267 Posts
Thanks Max,

I have about 5500 miles on mine and I'm getting close. I appreciate the clarification on what , it seems, everyone is changing to.

Thanks again
Howard

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Called the dealer about my tires. Dunlops are standard, and they recommended against the 200 Metz cause of the known problem with the belt guard. Guess next time I'll do the guard ahead of time (or get the Rizoma like I want anyway).
They said they now do the valve inspection at 20K, so they will change the oil and whatever else is required at the 10k service. Best of all, they are picking the bike up this morning at the house (it was 24F outside when I left for work, no charge).

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Daniii is that the Garland dealer or the Allen dealer. The reason I ask is the allen store wanted to check my valves at 8k, I told them they were nuts. It would be funny if a prepaid contract from them does not get the same service that they try to sell non prepaid people. Since both stores have the same service manager and are owned by the same person.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was the Allen store. How long ago was that? He said the policy was revised recently.... As always, if you wonder about just about anything, follow the money.. I'll ask when I pick it up.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
lower belt guard trimming

I used a dremel tool and cut the section out of my belt guard prior to my tire getting installed. Wasnt that difficult, just took some time. The metal is fairly thick, but the dremel worked.

I havent mounted metz 200 yet, waiting for new pro-one chrome wheels to arrive (tire pre-mounted).

As for the HD saddlebag support for my leather saddlebags, I plan on removing the saddlebags and will tell my dealer to remove support bracket if it looks like the bolts will rub unless they can grind the bolts down a little.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
wish I had been offered that tire warranty. All I was offered was the extended warranty. I would have bought it.......

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Daniii it was just over a month ago and I told them about the 04 specs and they said that did not apply to my 02. I have not been back since and am thinking about canceling my extended warranty right now.

·
2,552 Posts
Max,
What is involved in canceling the extended warranty. I have a seven year extension and with all of the mods I have done and will be doing they probably would not warranty anything seeing that very very little will be stock. The reason I got the warranty was for the motor and transmission. Now that I am considering a super charger, turbo charger or a big bore. They probably would not do anything for me. How much do you get back and how.

Thank you in advance
Frank

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Frank I am going to find out today. The number to them is
1-800-527-7665 and Mark mentioned last week that you can get upto 90% of any unclaimed amounts returned. The real kicker to me was when I went to get a RT and they told me that it would void my warranty. I then ask them if all I changed was for the topless flash and 28 tooth and they said yes it voided my warranty if I used an RT at all. I plan to order one online and cancel my warranty and then I'll fix my leaking valve cover myself and be done with it.

Max

1 - 20 of 51 Posts