Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Favorite Tires...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Instigator!
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Getting ready to get new tires. My last 2 sets were Metzelers with a 200mm in the rear - and very happy with them!

I average 12K to 15K miles per set and have almost 49K on the bike...

Just want a simple poll based upon your satisfaction.

Thanks, Brad

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
as great as the Metz are, and as much of an improvement they were over the stock Dunlops, the Pirellis are that much better than the Metz.

·
riding Ocean
173 Posts
You forgot the Pirelli NightDragons.. [even though I voted for Avons :]

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
michelins have been my favorite tires for yrs. As they just recently started making tires that will fit my DX I hope they will soon become available outside of Harley dealers so I can use them as i wont pay Harley Prices for tires.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Wonder how many who Vote actually have used all the products in question?

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
Wonder how many who Vote actually have used all the products in question?
Not on my current bike since I have had it for a whopping three months but over the yrs yep.

Pirelli- usually great grip from cold to hot, ok tire wear and short life, can be overheated and get greasy if you ride aggressively continuously for a long period.

Metzlers and Avons- so/so when cold, good when hot and decent wear and life.

Conti's- Only tried them once and didnt like the feel of the tire profile and the way the bike turned in so they came off quick.

Dunlops- ok when cold, great when hot but also can get overheated and greasy. decent wear and life

Michelins- great from cold to hot. alot harder to overheat. great wear and good life.

All of this was from a sportbike riding standpoint with various versions of each brands tires over the yrs on the street and the track and is probably comparing apples to oranges compared to what I am riding now.

That being said I am about to install a new dunlop rear on my DX because the front only has 3k on it and want to keep them matched since the front is no where near worn down.

I dont have the complaints alot of people have about the dunlops as of yet. Have held well under extremely aggressive riding, didnt have any trouble in recent rain storms. Not sure about tire life yet since I bought my bike as a leftover and the rear has some age to it and I have done alot of 2 up riding; the compounds do get harder with a couple yrs on them and lots of heat cycles. Though from what I am used to having been all sportbikes in the past I am tickled at seeing a rear last 6k miles instead of less than 2k or less than 1k if I pushed em hard.

Ok enough late night rambling from me. Gonna go to sleep.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Ran Metz and Avons both multiple times, Mich, not as often, Dunlops all to often as they always come stock (but never purchase them as replacement - never). But am a bit disappointed Pirelli was not included in this poll. Pirelli is usually my 1st choice but have been running Cobras as Pirelli did not make a 240 last couple of purchases.

Riding style(s) has a lot to do with choice of tire, needs and wants can vary significantly. For some the stock Dunlops were adequate enough. But they were a bit unpredictable for me. Pirelli always made a "riders" tire.

·
The Instigator!
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ran Metz and Avons both multiple times, Mich, not as often, Dunlops all to often as they always come stock (but never purchase them as replacement - never). But am a bit disappointed Pirelli was not included in this poll. Pirelli is usually my 1st choice but have been running Cobras as Pirelli did not make a 240 last couple of purchases.

Riding style(s) has a lot to do with choice of tire, needs and wants can vary significantly. For some the stock Dunlops were adequate enough. But they were a bit unpredictable for me. Pirelli always made a "riders" tire.
Great input all, and since I am not aware of all the makes we use, I had to put "other" - Thanks again, Brad

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,388 Posts
Have used both Dunlop and Metz tires only and I enjoy the metzs but may switch to the Avon Cobras next time to try out.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I ran stock Dunlops on my AW for 7.5k miles, ran Metz in stock sizes front & back for about 10k miles, have been running the Pirelli NightDragons for about 2k miles.
Two weeks ago I was in PA for 10 days and "borrowed" my brother's '07AW with Metz tires for 1200 miles. The Metz have about 2k miles as do my Pirellis. I can honestly say that the Pirellis handle better and seem to warm up quicker.

·
VROD JUNKIE
1,390 Posts
Ive run Dunlop, Metz, and Pirelli.

I was going to try Avons but the Pirelli price is just too good to pass up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts