Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed putting new tires, new brakes and bleeding all the lines including the clutch with Max's pressure bleeder. Took me all day and the easiest part was using Max's bleeder......it works very good.

A few unknowns for me....

The 2 spacers in the front and the spacer in the cush drive all have notches or marks on one edge. What are they for? Like a dummy, I didn't pay any attention as to how they came off. I looked in the service manual but didn't find any mention of these. Hope they don't mean much.

I thought all tires had an arrow as to what direction they should rotate. The Metz 880s don't appear to have them. I'm sure I have them going in the correct direction but one valve stem is opposite side of the other.

Other than having to do the rear twice (forgot the cush drive spacer), it all went pretty smooth. I also did some bleeding :chair:

·
Registered
19 Posts
My metz 880s have a arrow showing direction of rotation, on one side of the tire. Both valve stems should be on the right side of the bike. It sounds like your front wheel is installed wrong.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
The notch goes up :angeldev:

I really don't thik the notch means anything, probalby some tooling mark, like when they cut the spacers to size..

You cannot install the rear wheel wrong due to the pulley/rotor, but your front wheels is wrong as both valve stems go on the same side...

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
chasswartz said:
My metz 880s have a arrow showing direction of rotation, on one side of the tire. Both valve stems should be on the right side of the bike. It sounds like your front wheel is installed wrong.
Well crap, I've got the wheel on wrong. :chair: Guess I'll be doing the front again also.

Thanks for letting me know about the arrow. Couldn't find it yesterday.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Oh...I am sure that the front wheel can go either way...I mean if the tire is rotating the right way I am sure it does not matter if the wheel is backwards...I have never heard of a directional rim... anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
myvrodrocks said:
Oh...I am sure that the front wheel can go either way...I mean if the tire is rotating the right way I am sure it does not matter if the wheel is backwards...I have never heard of a directional rim... anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
No, I put the wheel on the bike backwards. The tire is installed correctly on the rim. It is not rotating correctly. Way too much thought put into this project.

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stagger V said:
The notches go on the outside away from the bearing ...not that I think it matters.
Thanks. Wouldn't you know it, I did it just opposite. Hope it doesn't matter cause I really don't want to take the wheel off again. I'm getting much faster at it though.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Stagger V said:
The notches go on the outside away from the bearing ...not that I think it matters.
Mine were the other way around. The notches were on the bearing side of the front wheel.

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
The 2 notches signify how many times you need to attempt before gettting it right. Sort of like a miniture golf course with a par 2. Most can do it in in 2, some will take 4....

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JSC said:
The 2 notches signify how many times you need to attempt before gettting it right. Sort of like a miniture golf course with a par 2. Most can do it in in 2, some will take 4....
:rofl2:

2 attempts works for me. I'll go with.....it doesn't matter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts