Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SMOKE A FATTY!!!!!!!
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gettin another tire today and wanted to know if the beads they put in the tire for weight are any better than the stick on type the usually use?? Anyone use this on their tire before? My tire is a 250 Avon Thanks guys

·
Registered
248 Posts
cant speak from experience...but i WISH i woulda used them, i just had new tires mounted and the shop assured me he used black lead weights to match my wheels, which he did...however, the white double sided tape he used to affix them to the wheel stands out like a sore thumb, so cosmetically i would definitely recommend them!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Gettin another tire today and wanted to know if the beads they put in the tire for weight are any better than the stick on type the usually use?? Anyone use this on their tire before? My tire is a 250 Avon Thanks guys
I recently swapped out my stock dunlops (with stick-on weights) for metzelers (240 rear) and figured I'd give dyna beads a go. I've put on about 1000 mi since then and here's what I can tell you. Not much. Here's why... the Metzelers are arguably better tires so any improvement in handling could be attributed to tires. As for wobble or shimmy or vibration, there is none. However there was none before. As for wear, that's yet to be seen. Clearly the biggest advantage so far is aesthetic. I like not having the weights on the wheel.
Are dyna beads snake oil... I don't think so. I've heard arguments (which I actually agree with) that modern tires are pretty well balanced coming out of the factory and may not need weights at all. However, as the tire wears the balance may change. And I like the idea that the dyna beads will "go where they need to go". Fixed weights can't do that. So unless you're getting your tires rebalanced regularly I would think that fixed weights could only exacerbate a balance issue.
Only time will tell, but I'm looking forward to getting an extra 20% tread life out of my new metz's (according to dyna bead's website). If not, no harm done. The dyna-bead cost me < $20.

:2cents:

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
I have dynabeads in my new Avons - I love them and don't have the unsightly weights any more. I do not notice any balance issues at all.

·
Chad
263 Posts
I wish that I would have used them. Just put on a new set of Avons last month and they used black weights in the rear but silver ones in the front! Now I can't help looking at them every time I ride. :banghead:

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
You still can - just order the beads, strip off the weights, pull the valve out of the air nipple. The beads go in through the air fill nipple with the valve core removed... Then just re-install the valve core and fill with air. There are a couple of threads around that describe using vibrators and such to get the beads in - you have to be patient.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
You still can - just order the beads, strip off the weights, pull the valve out of the air nipple. The beads go in through the air fill nipple with the valve core removed... Then just re-install the valve core and fill with air. There are a couple of threads around that describe using vibrators and such to get the beads in - you have to be patient.
:them: except for the vibrators comment:hidesbeh:
been using the Dyna beads for 10k+ miles now, from an engineering & physics standpoint the concept is sound. Honestly speaking though, modern motorcycle tires really are damn near perfectly balanced coming from the factory. Of course dents and dings in your rim(s) also affect balance, but unless severely bent you most likely would not notice a "unbalanced" wheel at normal operating speeds up to 130mph or so.
Do what I did at my last tire change, I had the shop mount the tire and throw it on the balancer for shits and giggles. The balance was damn near perfect and the shop owner said he wouldn't add weights to a tire that close even if I wanted him to.

·
SMOKE A FATTY!!!!!!!
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same issue on the sticky tape the last guy left on mine, this is why I was wondering bout the beads. I'm gonna have them balance them without any and go from there. I hate looking at the weights too. Thanks I'll keep u posted

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I used testors modeling paint to blacken out the sticky tape. Vasoline the wheel with a tooth pick then paint the tape. It lasted for a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts