Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the options for tire repair for motorcycles? Same as for cars? Or do you go the inner tube route? Never had a flat but for future reference. Any advice opinions are welcomed.

Joe

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Within a few days of mounting a brand new rear tire for $215 last year, I had a roofing nail stuck in the exact center of the tread groove. I took it to an ASE Certified mechanic buddy of mine.

He brought a NAPA plug kit home for the repair. It is a mushroom headed plug that vulcanizes after insertion. The insertion tool actually shoves the plug, head first, into the tire through the hole using what can only be described as a very large hypodermic needle. Once inside, he pulled the plug so that the mushroom head was situated firmly against the inner wall of the tire. The entire repair procedure was done with the tire inflated.

I now have 8,400 miles on that tire since the repair. The center of the tread is now virtually worn smooth, and the repair has never failed. I wouldn't hesitate to repeat this repair on a nail hole in the rear tire. But I value my life enough to refuse repair on any front motorcycle tire whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thnx DrDave. I am use to what I used years ago when I was in the repair field called a "patchplug". It is exactly as it states..it is a patch w/a plug in the center of it and I probbaly put in over 100 of those not one of those ever failed. Thnx. Anyone else w/repair experience?

Joe

·
Registered
821 Posts
Is it true that you can't patch/plug a tire on a spoked rim? I have been told that it's not possible since the spoked rims have tubes. Anybody heard that?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Is it true that you can't patch/plug a tire on a spoked rim? I have been told that it's not possible since the spoked rims have tubes. Anybody heard that?
you can still plug/patch it, but why? You already have an inner tube so why bother?
I 100% agree with Dr Dave. The "mushroom" style plugs are the bees knees man.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might I ask where you got the "mushroom" plugs at AOW?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts