Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to change the stock rubber.

I highway commute (50 miles) every day to work but take the twisties at the weekend. Any recommendations for new tires?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
if you have been happy with the performance of the stock tires, then why change brands now?
lots and lots and lots of tire threads on here. Just do a search for "tires" and you'll have enough reading to hold you over until the budget is balanced again.

Current options in no particular order, Avon, Bridgestone, Continental, Dunlop, Metzeler, Michelin (stock on '11 Harleys), Pirelli (my current favorite), Shinko (wouldn't run them on my lawnmower on a dare), and I'm sure there's one or two I missed.

shuedude rides mostly highway and has 150+k miles on his V and swears by Avons, as does Lux with 75k? and he does mostly twisties and canyon carving in Malibu. I've never run the Avons, but have run Dunlop, Metzeler, and now Pirelli. I put Metzlers a good 100% better for performance & handling over dunlop, and Pirelli a good 25% above Metzeler for performance & handling, and 50% above for longevity

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't really complain about the longevity of the stock rubber but they've never felt really 'there' on cornering, particularly in the wet and the concrete slip roads we have here.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have the new michelins and I like them very well. Have rode them on a lot of different road conditions and they did well on them all. They had good grip on the twisty roads too. Good wet road grip. Can't tell you anything about durability? Had a nice smooth ride on the interstate. These are a good tire in my opinion.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
they've never felt really 'there' on cornering, particularly in the wet and the concrete slip roads we have here.
I and many others agree with you completely. Go with any other brand than dunlop and you will be amazed at the improvement in your ride.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the new michelins and I like them very well. Have rode them on a lot of different road conditions and they did well on them all. They had good grip on the twisty roads too. Good wet road grip. Can't tell you anything about durability? Had a nice smooth ride on the interstate. These are a good tire in my opinion.
Do you have a part number? I'm having trouble finding the 240 rear in most brands!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
240 Michelins are only available through the HD dealers. 240 in any other brands is readily available almost everywhere especially on the interwebs

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm a big fan of Metzeler Tires. Been riding on them for years and I've yet to have a flat / blowout / leak / fast tread-wear.

If you've never replaced tires on a bike before and don't have a preference (or if you've replaced tires and know what you DON'T want), find someone you really trust and take their recommendation.

At the end of the day, the only way to form your own opinion is to take the plunge and try. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had the Pirrelli Night Dragons put on my DX. They are great!! Very stable and bike feels like it is glued down.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just had the Pirrelli Night Dragons put on my DX. They are great!! Very stable and bike feels like it is glued down.
But this is what I don't understand - I can find the Pirelli Night Dragon Rear but not the front! With most brands I look at it's either one or the other - I'm confused!!

Previously I've tended to go with Bridgestone or Pirelli.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can't find a pair of Pirellis in stock! Seems to be a shortage of front tyres.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Whatever tire you decide on, I would also suggest you look into Dyna beads to balance your tires... No ugly stick on wheel weights or spoke weights, they dynamically balance your tires and you'll get more tire life out of them... I run them in all my bikes and have installed them in many customer bikes... All are happy with them, I have not had one negative comment or problem reported using them... Best $6 you can spend for your motorcycle...

http://innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whatever tire you decide on, I would also suggest you look into Dyna beads to balance your tires... No ugly stick on wheel weights or spoke weights, they dynamically balance your tires and you'll get more tire life out of them... I run them in all my bikes and have installed them in many customer bikes... All are happy with them, I have not had one negative comment or problem reported using them... Best $6 you can spend for your motorcycle...

http://innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm
Funnily enough I was reading about those just today. Seem to have loads of great reviews.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Current options in no particular order, Avon, Bridgestone, Continental, Dunlop, Metzeler, Michelin (stock on '11 Harleys), Pirelli (my current favorite), Shinko (wouldn't run them on my lawnmower on a dare), and I'm sure there's one or two I missed.

Actually it's alphabetical, but I know what you meant. LOL:notworth:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts