Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 5000 miles and a few mild burnouts, I find myself needing a new rear tire for my 07D.

From what I've read on here it seems that alot of people prefer the Metzeller or Avon tires to the stock Dunlop, any suggestions on a specific tire?.

I believe I can run a 200 tire without changing anything, can someone confirm this and the proper size?

I'd like to get away with changing just the rear if possible.

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
So after 5000 miles and a few mild burnouts, I find myself needing a new rear tire for my 07D.

From what I've read on here it seems that alot of people prefer the Metzeller or Avon tires to the stock Dunlop, any suggestions on a specific tire?.

I believe I can run a 200 tire without changing anything, can someone confirm this and the proper size?

I'd like to get away with changing just the rear if possible.
In most cases you can run a 200. I've seen a few people that have a problem with Avon's rubbing on a Ricks tank. Avons are a bit taller than stock and the Ricks tank sticks out more than stock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i change to a bridgestone,like them so far got over 5400 mile on them still have more to go (burn out take more rubber off than you thank)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just mounted Metzeler ME880 200/50VR-18 Rear Tire. Fit without any modification. Note: I had removed the license bracket/ tail assembly previously but I don’t think this would have had any effect. There is good clearance all around.

2008 VRSCD

·
Registered
22 Posts
tires

i believe the metz 200/ 50/18 will fit with no mods. however , metz also makes a 210 /40/18. does this work with no mods?/ does anybody know?? i know it wont be taller because of the 40 aspect ratio, but issue is the width.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Just ordered a set of Bridgestone Excedras, $218.98 to my door for front and rear tires, from Rocky Mountain

·
Registered
18 Posts
My Avon 200 fit in my '07 with no issues whatsoever. There is plenty of clearance back there. Go for the Avons, you will love them!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Following this thread I ended up installing another crappy Dunlop to match the front.

However the front is now due so I will be changing both to switch over to Metzeler. I know I need a 200/50ZR18 for the rear, however I don't see that Metzeler offers at 120/70R19 which I believe is the stock front size on my 2007 D. What are you guys running in front?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just put a set on Metzekers on mine. You won't be disappointed! I had never realized how much the Dunlops sucked until I tried the Metzelers. They have a much stiffer sidewall for better stability in corners.

·
Registered
242 Posts
What are your thoughts on the Michelin Scorchers, they came stock on my bike?

·
Registered
534 Posts
After giving Duncraps three chances to better their product, I went with a Metzeler ME 880 Marathon rear for my "R" and it definitely feels better cornering and over bumps. Now we will see if it gets more than 5,000 miles of wear!! Tired of putting on a new tire every year. Hopefully I'll get at least two seasons from this tire. Also, would like to add the Duncrap front is actually working quite well with the new Metzeler-who would of figured that??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts