Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you check your tire pressure ... warm or cold? I think I read in the manual the back tire pressure should be 38 to 40 lbs cold. I inflated it to this spec and what a miserable rough ride it was. I also couldn't keep the back tire from breaking loose. When I checked the tire pressure after riding for awhile (warm), it was @ 48 lbs. I deflated it down to 38 lbs (warm) and everything is fine again. Used the same air pressure tester so it wasn't just a matter of an inaccurate gage.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
One way to determine an ideal tire pressure is to use a 10/20% rule: i.e. start with the manufacturer's recommended pressure when cold - and then measure the pressure again when hot. Ideally you want the pressure to rise about 10% on the front and 20% on the rear. If the pressure rises less than this, then you should remove a little air. For a complete description of the procedure, check out Tire Pressure .

A couple of things to consider: Merely using the same pressure gauge both times doesn't guarantee that it is accurate - only that you will probably get consistent readings. I've found a spread as wide as 4 psi using different pressure gauges - maybe not enough to be dangerous, but certainly enough to affect handling. And secondly, the fact that your tire pressure went from (an indicated) 40 psi to 48 when hot means that you rear tire pressure was probably pretty close to ideal. Running lower pressures than this will probably shorten your tire life considerably.

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ummm, I didn't know I'd have to know math to put air in a tire. Good info though. I didn't like the way the bike handled when it was at the the manufacture's recommended pressure. Guess I'll be experimenting for awhile to figure out what's best for me. I'll take the chances on wearing out the tire prematurely.

·
MARK
644 Posts
one bit of advice DO NOT USE a CHEAP tire guage spend the bucks for you own safety at my shop we spend at least $20 on a good pencil type guage

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Amen to that WORM. A tire gauge is not the place to go cheap at all.

MAx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts