Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have a 2008 vrscaw and have noticed i have to pump up the tires every week,is this normal.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Well no, but I suppose it depends on how fussy you are..

How much are we talking? If just a PSI or so, could you be losing that when you measure?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the back would be around 30psi and the front 30psi as well,they should be 42psi in back and 36psi in front.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
No, that is not normal. My bike sits for days and does not lose any air pressure.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Did it start when you changed tyres? Maybe the tyres are not seated properly, but then they would probably go down faster. It seems unlikely you could have TWO porous wheels.

Anyone around the place you don't get on with? :D

I check mine about once a month (yes, I know...) and they are a couple of PSI down at most.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
only bought the bike 8 weeks ago so no tire change,cant figure it out,i do a lot of milage on them,would this cause air loss,cheers for your replys.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I got my bike new 3 months ago, stock, and mine were either losing air, or the dealer's service dept was sending me out of there with low air in the tires (at new and 1000 mi service). It was bad, like about 10 or 12 psi or more in a week or so. I found it when I would feel the tires start bottoming out to the rims over bad bumps.

I put some of those steel valve caps with little O rings in the caps on.

So I don't know where the problem was; dealer, tires settling in from new, or valve caps, (or all the above) but they are nearly rock solid now. Just maybe 1 or 2 psi or less in the front, and nothing lost in the rear, in well over a month.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Mileage won't cause air loss. I don't know hos expert you are, please don't be offended if I seem patronising.... It is either something someone else has done, or something you are doing. "You" is the easy place to start - use a good gauge that doesn't lose air. They expand when hot, you couldn't be testing hot and filling cold could you? Next, as suggested below, use sealing caps. If that works, change the valves (few quid, easy).

There is no known problem with leaky wheels.

Top point - OKAY, something is wrong. But it is silly and minor and the bike works fine, so start by trying the obvious and then we can get more obscure.

After you started this I tested my pressures. Front was worked on yesterday, so that was clearly right. Rear - ahem, thinking about it, April. No loss. 40PSI, as I like.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i take your point,but i think the likely suspect is the valve caps,as i check the tires when cold with a good tire pressure gauge,apprectiate your input,

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
ok i take your point,but i think the likely suspect is the valve caps,as i check the tires when cold with a good tire pressure gauge,apprectiate your input,
Valve caps are to keep dirt out of the valve. If they can solve a leaking problem, you need new stems, or at least cores.

Have you tried just spraying the bead sealing areas and valves with soapy water to see the leaks?

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
:them:

If caps fix it, change the valves. Cost peanuts.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
no disrespect intended, but if you are checking the pressures cold, then riding to inflate, that would create a discrepancy in PSI as well.
I had a similar problem with my Pirelli rear after I did the tyre swap myself. I was losing 10 psi in a matter of days. I found that the bead was not properly seated.
Depending on the age of the tyres, the bead may be ruined all together.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've been told that.............

Tires that are filled with natural air are constantly leaking at a very slow rate because the rubber compounds are porous. Different tire rubber compounds leak at different rates and this is why most tire dealers are filling with nitrogen now which supposedly leaks out at a slower rate because of the molecular size. (By the way, I'm no scientist, simply a mechanic at a construction company) Funny thing is that I believe the air we breath is something like 78.09% nitrogen so when you pay for nitrogen filling of your tires, you're actually only paying for an additional 11.01% of nitrogen. I would think you either have a leaking bead, a leak at the valve stem itself or possibly a core (the valve) that is either bad or not tightened all the way. Over pressurize the tire and spray everything down with Windex and look for the leak if you haven't figured it out as of yet.

On an unrelated note about air leaking from tires, now that most newer vehicles have pressure monitoring devices in them which send a signal that sets off a warning light or reminder on your dashboard, keeping all four tires registering the same exact tire pressure can be a real pain in the a$$, especially in a car like an
S Class Mercedes. The problem I found is that the monitoring systems in most of the German cars are far more precise than any pressure gauges that I can find locally. Oddly enough, after going through about 7 or 8 different analog and digital pressure gauges, the one that I found to be the most accurate was sold by Harley Davidson. It's the analog gauge with the steel braided hose. It's the most accurate gauge I have in our shop and very close to what the Mercedes S 550 reads, but believe me getting all four tires exactly the same can take a little bit of time. Just my two cents.

I hope your leak has been figured out by now. By the way, I'm looking for a chrome slotted wheel like shown for my 04B if anyone has one please let me know.

Respectfully,
Ed

Attachments

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
you do realize that the air we breathe and thus the outside air that the compressors inflate tires with is at least 78% nitrogen...

·
Registered
221 Posts
you do realize that the air we breathe and thus the outside air that the compressors inflate tires with is at least 78% nitrogen...
As I mentioned in the previous reply.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Before spending any money, take some soapy water and put in the valve stem to look for bubbles. I had the same problem and did the test. I didn't have much in line of bubbles, but I used a valve tool to see if my valves were tight. My valves were very loose so I tightened them a little. That solved my problem. Quick and cheap solution that you can do in a couple minutes. Also use the soap solution to check the the valve where it is bolted throught the wheel.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Is your front still a spoke wheel? Is it a tube? If that is true sounds cheap enough to change the tube...

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
What tires are you running?My tires only need about 1psi every month or so.But while back I fitted a avon cobra on the back and the tire consistently lost about 2-3lbs every other day, it just wouldn't seat properly on the rim.Despite taking it off twice and over inflating to try and get it to seal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts