Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 has 2800 miles on it, I haven't rode in roughly 3 years, I decided to start again, got it serviced when I replaced the exhaust. Dealer says I need new tires, my tread is low apparently. Seriously? 2800 miles new tires?

So my question is how often do you add air to the tires? How often do they lose pressure? What tire pressure do you recommend? I have the stock dish wheels and tires.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
on an '03 your tires are 8yrs old or more, I would be more concerned with dry rot than tread life. Stock dunlop tires are really sensitive about air pressure. With the dunlops I ran 38psi front and 42psi rear. Over time all tires will lose pressure, and after 3yrs of sitting it's a safe bet yours are pretty low. Welcome back to the riding!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I decided to trailer my bike from Calgary to our house in Seattle. It's a much better place to ride here IMHO, so I'm here to stay. Calgary has great highways, but the Vrod is much better in the city, not to mention the rocks..rocks suck.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Buy some Avons you won't be sorry.

I would not run MC tires more than 2-3 years regardless of mileage. The rubber compound changes and dry rot is a huge issue - especially if it's been sitting on the tires, in the same spot. Cars are different, you have 4 tires, if 1 goes you're still OK..do that math on your V.
I check pressure every couple-o-weeks or with big temp changes.

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,427 Posts
I run 40 psi front & back. I have Dunlops with 4000 miles on them & they look perfect, plenty of tread life left.

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
Your tire pressure specs. for your Rod should be on the frame,I believe (I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet ) it is on the same sticker as you serial # or somewhere close to it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree with Vambo, Im running Avon Cobra's and there is no way I'll ever run a dunlop again. They stick better, ride better, look better and last longer than the stock dunlop's. I run 36 up front and 40 in the rear, I got 13,000 miles out of my dunlop's and I allready have 11,000 on the Avon's but I'll get at least 14K out of them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.