Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking about lotsa tire choices, so what is your mileage and how hard do you ride? Any idea how to chart that out, lots of members could contribute so we all can find out what were getting for the $:deal:

Here are some images of a Dunlop rear with 9,000+ miles.
Squared off edges on the tire makes for some interesting riding in the turns. No burn outs but lots of tight, throttle up turns.

I am after miles with my selection, as I can ride Dunlops without much complaint. I know many here can complain about them, but its the mileage too.

Been averaging around 10K on OEM Dunlops.

Attachments

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Alright, I've only run Dunlap's. 5 rear tires 3 front tires. Almost 30,000 miles 6K for the back and 10K for the front on average. Now I did get a nail in the rear tire once so thats skewed. Plus a few burnouts... Oh I forgot... Make that 6 rear tires. NightMare donated one to me for the cause!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I ran a bunch of dunlops. 10 rears and 1 front. Now have Metz on the bike.The front dunlop lasted 14000 miles which i thought was amasing. The rears went up in smoke. The front Dunlop did wear messed up. The Metz's handle and ride alot better but wear quick, my front needs replacing at 8000 miles. The rears need replacing every 2000 from my ignorance.:broke: They ain't cheap. Oh and the Dunlops smoke more. If your looking for mileage stick with the dunlops.IMO

·
Flyer
98 Posts
I ran my original Dunlops for a little over 7K and then switched to Metzler's. I'm not real impressed with the Metzler's as I thought they'd have more sticking power. When these wear out (a little over 12K on the bike and about 5K on the Metzler's) I think Ill try the Avon Venoms.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Flieger said:
I ran my original Dunlops for a little over 7K and then switched to Metzler's. I'm not real impressed with the Metzler's as I thought they'd have more sticking power. When these wear out (a little over 12K on the bike and about 5K on the Metzler's) I think Ill try the Avon Venoms.
Great choice!:notworth:

·
EXCELSIOR
8,502 Posts
Got 9k out my original Dunlop, removed the front at 12k. It wasn't totally worn out, though very close. Didn't like the wear pattern though.
Have Metz's now in the stock sizes, only about 4k on them but like the wear pattern better.

·
Red Rod Rider
244 Posts
Rich Moran said:
Here are some images of a Dunlop rear with 9,000+ miles.
Squared off edges on the tire makes for some interesting riding in the turns. No burn outs but lots of tight, throttle up turn.
you sure like to get your money's worth out of your tires! i'd have changed that about 1000 miles back

i'm still running the original dunlop rear with about 7000 on it, i ride hard too & its about ready for a 200 metz :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
conservitive guy

I don't feel to bad with my DX stock tires, after reading all the info from y'al. I presently have just over 6k on my bike and I feel that I'm happy with how much is left. I'm thinking I should be good for another 4 k. NO burnouts, hard on the throtle during open straight shots and entering highways. Does anyone off hand know what a new tire from H/D cost and to have instaled? More than and ARM and a LEG?

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
12000 miles both front and rear.
front cupped
rear just flat as could be

new set of metz's...I like the new feel.

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
Just took my Dunlops off last weekend at 15000 kms. The rear was pretty beat up but I had quite a few burnouts on it too. :D
Put Metzlers on it ...

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I just turned over 12k on the OE set and burned up the rear on the dyno front is slighty cupped, switching to metzlers on monday see how that goes if they wear out alot faster than the dunflops then I'll be going back to them

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
I got 9000 on the Dunlop rear, and changed the front at the same
time. Both had excessive left-side wear, front was cupping.
Run Metzlers now.1000 miles on them, and like them. Metz's
cost me $370, mounted+balanced ,@ Cycle Gear.

·
George
5,411 Posts
Wow! either I drive too hard....or (more likely) I get rid of my tires way early. 4K on the rear and front... they're gone! 3/32 tread left, off they come. BUT I ride across the everglades all the time in good ol' Florida Gully-Washers. I feel tires are CHEAP insurance!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Rich w the wear you're showing on that tire you could probably get another 4 or 5k miles out of my rear take offs.
The best milage I've ever gotten on a V-Rod rear is 11k on a 240 Metz.It still looked better than the pic you have shown.
I could most likely get that same milage from any tire,as conservative as I ride the 03 now.

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

·
George
5,411 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
Rich w the wear you're showing on that tire you could probably get another 4 or 5k miles out of my rear take offs.
The best milage I've ever gotten on a V-Rod rear is 11k on a 240 Metz.It still looked better than the pic you have shown.
I could most likely get that same milage from any tire,as conservative as I ride the 03 now.

Conservative hell! Al rides so fast, you blink and he's gone! I remember one day in Okeechobee we all left a restaurant and no Al... couldn't see him anywhere...... Just like a flash he was gone... Oh wait, my bad... he was BEHIND us.... re-designing the right side of his bike!

wink-wink-nudge-nudge:spank:

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
capngeo said:
Conservative hell! Al rides so fast, you blink and he's gone! I remember one day in Okeechobee we all left a restaurant and no Al... couldn't see him anywhere...... Just like a flash he was gone... Oh wait, my bad... he was BEHIND us.... re-designing the right side of his bike!

wink-wink-nudge-nudge:spank:

God,I'll never live this down,will I?

The real truth is.....A ladys little dog hopped out of her SUV,there was an 18 wheeler heading towards the little thing and I jumped off the bike,as it was rolling,to save the dog from the 18 wheeler smashing the little guy.I was the last one out of the parking lot,so prove this otherwise!:angeldev:

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
Original Dun's were changed at 5K, Metz rear went 9K, just changed it today front still looks good. Ride fairly hard, :hidesbeh: a few burnouts and 5 trips down the quarter mile. It was a little thin.:angeldev:

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
I got 10k on Dunlops (both first and second gen set)
12k on Metz
9.5k on Avon (took a bolt and had to replace)
right now I'm on a new set of Bridgestones (like them so far)
(all mileage given is on the rear tires).

My favorites are still the Avon's though, but I'm starting to really like the Bridgstones (we'll see how long they last).

Shoe

·
Registered
305 Posts
I got 6k out of the Dumblap and it was down to the threads, no burn outs;)
I've got a nice shiny Avon 200 on now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts