Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone, I am sure, knows about the Priority Mail Flat Rate system. Typically see the small, medium, large flat rate boxes along with the "standard" letter size flat rate envelope.

Tip #1: There are LARGER Legal size envelopes that are available, but unadvertised, if you ask at the counter or order online. They ship for the same rate as the "standard" flat rate envelope. You can order for FREE and FREE SHIPPING to your home here. https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/st...002&categoryId=10000023&top_category=10000002

Tip #2: Also available, but not advertised, are FREE PADDED Flat Rate envelopes for those fragile or sensitive items. Again, you can order these here. https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/st...023&categoryId=10000023&top_category=10000002

As you can see in the following link the current price for mailing items in the Flat Rate Envelopes is $4.95. Remember the USPS slogan, If it Fits, it Ships. You can fit a lot into a Flat Rate Package and as long as it does not change the construction of the envelope or box it ships. http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mail-prices.htm

I posted this because it can save everyone money and hassle. I get tired of seeing shipping of a small part for $10, mostly on eBay, when it could be sent for half that. Priority mail is 2-3 day shipping so it is fast as well. They do have special rates for International as well but remember to fill out the customs forms.

Maybe this is sticky worthy?

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Great tips, Ken.
I would add that people should check 3rd class Parcel Post costs also, because for lighter items it may be cheaper.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
i agree and is the only way i ship. i print it at home and set it out for pick-up. i didn't know they had bigger envelopes and padded for free. i'll be ordering online from now on, thanks ken!

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
One other thing that I see another guy going through right now over on the SSR Forum.

If you ship by USPS use some form of mailing that offers a tracking number. I see he sent something to Canada and is now refusing to ship anything out of the country any more because he couldn't prove whether it was delivered ot not and lost a claim to Paypal because the guy said it didn't arrive.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
when you print your own postage with flat rate shipping you get a tracking number in the purchase. its the same with a tracking number if you print it as it is with out the tracking number if you go to the post office and pay.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One other thing that I see another guy going through right now over on the SSR Forum.

If you ship by USPS use some form of mailing that offers a tracking number. I see he sent something to Canada and is now refusing to ship anything out of the country any more because he couldn't prove whether it was delivered ot not and lost a claim to Paypal because the guy said it didn't arrive.
I do not believe it matters Pat. Once it is out of USPS hands and in the Canadian Postal hands the tracking number no longer applies.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
when you print your own postage with flat rate shipping you get a tracking number in the purchase. its the same with a tracking number if you print it as it is with out the tracking number if you go to the post office and pay.
I'm waiting for a pair of fork legs from California shipped via USPS on the 28th December to nj, I'm still waiting and the tracking number tells me nothing!

Get a tracking number that follows the package! No wonder fedex and ups do so well.

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
I do not believe it matters Pat. Once it is out of USPS hands and in the Canadian Postal hands the tracking number no longer applies.
Ken I just send a M/O for a custom made SSR tailgate and I used the tracking number and an option to tell me by email when it was delivered. It won't tell you where it's at like UPS etc. but it'll tell you when it's delivered.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
i know i sent something on 12/21/10 regular mail , a few stamps, to Conception bay canada and it ain't there yet.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Ken, Actually there are TV commercials as we speak promoting those envelopes. My PO has been pushing them and displaying them for years now.

i know i sent something on 12/21/10 regular mail , a few stamps, to Conception bay canada and it ain't there yet.
Have done many a mailing to and from Canada over a 20 year period and let me tell you it might be the worst mail system in the world.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ken, Actually there are TV commercials as we speak promoting those envelopes. My PO has been pushing them and displaying them for years now.
:banghead:

I know about the flat rate that has been done for years now. I am talking about the NEW larger envelope that you will be able to put MORE in for the same cost and the NEW padded envelope that is free and ships for the same.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If anyone ships anything to Canada here are some tips.

When filling out the shipping request don't specify anymore than the actually selling price in the declared value (do not include cost of shipping). Sometimes with good intention the shipper thinks "just in case there is an issue let's make sure it's worth more to cover the cost of hassles". However, when it hits the boarder, if it's pulled for brokerage fees, taxes etc. will be based on that higher value, not actual cost. This can result in significant overcharges for the receiver (i.e. brokerage charge < $100 ~$30, >= $100 ~$65-70).

It is also recommended not to ship from a commercial address. Sometimes it's easier to just ship from your place of work, but I think (and this is not nailed in stone but my impression from past experience) the chances of a package being pulled for brokerage evaluation at the boarder is much higher if it appears to be a commercial shipment. Most of the packages I receive that come from residential addresses get through OK. If there's a commercial address it seems they always get pulled for brokerage. It might be a value that triggers it as well but I think commercial doesn't help.

Hope this helps someone if you have buyers in Canada, or maybe this would apply to other international shipments too. I don't know.

Happy riding everyone (when the snow melts for some of us :banghead:)

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts

For USPS Priority Mail, pay a little extra for "Signature Confirmation" service. I don't know what the fee is now but it used to be $2.10. And, of course, add that into the shipping charge to the buyer.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Everyone, I am sure, knows about the Priority Mail Flat Rate system. Typically see the small, medium, large flat rate boxes along with the "standard" letter size flat rate envelope.

Tip #1: There are LARGER Legal size envelopes that are available, but unadvertised, if you ask at the counter or order online. They ship for the same rate as the "standard" flat rate envelope. You can order for FREE and FREE SHIPPING to your home here. https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/st...002&categoryId=10000023&top_category=10000002

Tip #2: Also available, but not advertised, are FREE PADDED Flat Rate envelopes for those fragile or sensitive items. Again, you can order these here. https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/st...023&categoryId=10000023&top_category=10000002

As you can see in the following link the current price for mailing items in the Flat Rate Envelopes is $4.95. Remember the USPS slogan, If it Fits, it Ships. You can fit a lot into a Flat Rate Package and as long as it does not change the construction of the envelope or box it ships. http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mail-prices.htm

I posted this because it can save everyone money and hassle. I get tired of seeing shipping of a small part for $10, mostly on eBay, when it could be sent for half that. Priority mail is 2-3 day shipping so it is fast as well. They do have special rates for International as well but remember to fill out the customs forms.

Maybe this is sticky worthy?
Many thanks for posting the info Ken.

Of course I won't be benifiting as much as Pat will with his high volume parts business.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
:banghead:

I know about the flat rate that has been done for years now. I am talking about the NEW larger envelope that you will be able to put MORE in for the same cost and the NEW padded envelope that is free and ships for the same.
:banghead::D
Odd, they are calling them new?? As I said we have had them here.

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
I'm waiting for a pair of fork legs from California shipped via USPS on the 28th December to nj, I'm still waiting and the tracking number tells me nothing!

Get a tracking number that follows the package! No wonder fedex and ups do so well.
I have noticed that the USPS tracking system online is kind of crap too. I can't recall ever seeing an item actually tracked. It just acknowledges receipt of the item when its dropped off and then no updates on its movement until it shows up at the house...but great find, Ken. I just ordered some because I plan on starting to sell off some of my stock pieces and I think some of them can ship in the padded ones.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts