Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some tricks and tips for more power?
I have the supertrapp v-5 system,k&n filter,PCIIIr,and topless.
I don't want to have to use special gas(octane booster maybe).Race gas is to costly.
Are there any high perf.plugs that will give more power?

I know that a good tuner is a must.
Betcha Kaz knows some secrets,that he would like to share with everyone.

Will removing the velocity stacks give any power?

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Vinny,
If you were at the Track and need a 1/10 or 2 I have a Few but for a street guy the big thing for you would be a Race Tuner.If you can get a Very good tuner you could really tweak your setup.I personally am Not a Fan of the PowerCommander"Maybe because when I had it there were no good maps for my setup.I ran a Techlusion with your set to 122rwhp .The race tuner can tune each cyclinder for optimal; performance"The Rear run a little leaner!";) Play with you plug gap"Wider is Hotter"!Sync your Throttle Bodies.They may be off shrouding the Valves.Thats a few Trix any More and I'll have to Charge ya!:fahr38

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean by "Sync your throttle bodies"?Do you mean to have them flowbenched and matched?

So what your saying is, try opening up the plug gap?That should give a bigger spark.But I was thinking about starting at going .003 bigger.

I'm starting to become a anti-PCIIIr.I'm finding out things that the racetuner can do ,that the pcIIIr can't.I think I'll get rid of it and get the HD tuner.That'll be a winter project.Since the snow is on it's way.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Vinny,
What I found was there is no Cooler or Hotter plugs available for our V-rod.With the amount of NOS I run I needed a little cooler plug so I gapped it less cooling the spark.If you open it Up it would burn a little hotter!;) Syncing means making sure they are both opening equally the whole way instead of one opening More or Less than the other!:cool:

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Vinny, higher octane gas will SLOW YOU DOWN! It will run BEST on the lowest octane gas that doesn't cause pre-detonation! 92 octane is perfect.

John

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any special plug wrench that is needed?
I'll bring home same indicators from work to check the blades and linkage.
I need to invest in a dyno.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
No just a standard with a long exstention!The rears cake the fronts a Bitch to get too!:(

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Super Kaz said:
Vinny,
What I found was there is no Cooler or Hotter plugs available for our V-rod.With the amount of NOS I run I needed a little cooler plug so I gapped it less cooling the spark.If you open it Up it would burn a little hotter!;) Syncing means making sure they are both opening equally the whole way instead of one opening More or Less than the other!:cool:
Kaz,

Sorry to burst you bubble but there's no way you can effect a change to a plug's heat range by changing the gap. :bs:

Please read the following from NGK's website:

A spark plug's heat range has no relationship to the actual voltage transferred though the spark plug. Rather, the heat range is a measure of the spark plug's ability to remove heat from the combustion chamber. The heat range measurement is determined by several factors; the length of the ceramic center insulator nose and its' ability to absorb and transfer combustion heat, the material composition of the insulator and center electrode material.

Heat rating and heat flow path of NGK Spark Plugs

The insulator nose length is the distance from the firing tip of the insulator to the point where insulator meets the metal shell. Since the insulator tip is the hottest part of the spark plug, the tip temperature is a primary factor in pre-ignition and fouling. Whether the spark plugs are fitted in a lawnmower, boat, or a race car, the spark plug tip temperature must remain between 500C-850°C. If the tip temperature is lower than 500°C, the insulator area surrounding the center electrode will not be hot enough to burn off carbon and combustion chamber deposits. These accumulated deposits can result in spark plug fouling leading to misfire. If the tip temperature is higher than 850°C the spark plug will overheat which may cause the ceramic around the center electrode to blister and the electrodes to melt. This may lead to pre-ignition/detonation and expensive engine damage. In identical spark plug types, the difference from one heat range to the next is the ability to remove approximately 70°C to 100°C from the combustion chamber. A projected style spark plug firing tip temperature is increased by 10°C to 20°C.

If you're running NGK then the stock plug is DCPR8E. Drop to the DCPR9E for one heat range cooler. (The DCPR9E is used in Aprilias)

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Mark,
Tell that to the NOS Tech line!:rolleyes: That is what was told to me from the Nitrous Gurus.Why do you have to Gap your Plugs then?What is the Purpose?I have seen the difference at the track and on my Plugs so what do you say to that?:2cents

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I remember kaz saying he changed them every run.Kaz says there isn't a hotter or colder plug for our v-rods.He had to do what made him the most power.With my race cars Msd told me to lower the gap with compression and nitrous.They ran much better.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Guys,

A plugs heat range is it's ability to dissipate heat and the temperature of the ceramic at the tip, not the temperature of the spark, that's relatively constant.

Changing the gap is used to control the spark duration and in extreme cases, like yours, enable the plug to fire at all. MSD said to lower your gap with compression and nitrous because of the increased pressure within the cylinder. This can actually cause the plug to misfire. Another way to compensated for Nitrous or boost is with increased current from an add-on system or a larger coil. (Kaz, remember your issues at the track with the marginal coil)

BTW, check the edit I made to my post, there is a cooler plug for the V-Rod ;)

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I run a Permatune coil less system on my 930 and it allows me to run .050 gap with 1 bar of boost and I've never had an ignition related problem. They have a good white paper on ignition theory and they are always looking to work with specialty applications (Kaz) to resolve issues with turbo, SC and Nitrous problems. Here's the link http://www.permatune.com/ Give them a call, they usually will take as much time as you want to discuss their products, answer ignition theory questions, etc.

P.S. Check out their "plazma" ignition research

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I use the Factory HD Plug #10R12A .I buy them by the Case an NOBODY MAKES A REPLACEMENT PLUG COOLER OR HOTTER!I have checked everyware and every company.I'm not sure were you got that NGK #? I have had three different Motorcycle and Hipo Automotive shops try and Cross refernce and they had Nothing!

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Dam !:notworthy I had the Harley Parts manager check NGK and every other plug maker and Nothing!I will get a few sets tomorrow and try some dyno testing next week!:diablo:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Thats some good tracking mjw930. Thanks for the information.

Max

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Yes thats a Great alternative to the Factory JUNK!Is there a price listed?:cool:

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does NGK make a hotter plug?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
vrodvinny for high performance you want a colder plug. For good low speed performance is the only time you would want a hotter plug.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Vinny,

There is a listing for a "7" heat range. Like Max said, I wouldn't go there.

Kaz,

These are ~$3.00 - $4.00 plugs, depending on quantity. There may be some availability issues, I've had trouble getting specific NGK's at local stores. I usually have to go online or special order. Your local Aprilia dealer should have the 9's since they are stock on the Falco.

Mark

1 - 20 of 46 Posts