Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plugs were way overdue for attention, and the battery was knackered. For anyone else new to V-Rod servicing, here is what I learned:

The clip that holds the pipe to the back of the airbox is MUCH easier to remove if you pull the coolant header tank off its grommets.

The gasket under the airbox is fragile. Have a spare and be careful with the duct tape used to close the throttle bodies.

If you have things bolted to the front of the airbox (Arnott compressor for example), re-fit before you bolt the airbox down.

The battery connector has some sort of weird rise. If you buy a non Harley battery you will need to re-create this somehow. My battery shop supplied pre-done.

Bolt the terminals on the battery before bolting the airbox down. Very hard to get at otherwise.

If you don't manage to pull the front coil assembly out vertically (hard to get your hand in properly) the boot is left behind. And that is a REAL PITA to get out.

The way most people mess this job up is failing to get the front breather tube on the airbox. You can see it fine, just be aware of it.

More generally:

After 20K with a good map my plugs were perfect. As good as new. Inspecting / replacing them was a total waste of time. NGK DCPR8E is the equivalent if you have no local Harley parts supplier. Avoid irridum, they may work fine, they may naff up the ion sensor (so they say).

Having done all this once, I could easily and quickly do it again. This first time was plain nasty though. If you don't do high miles, don't plan to keep the bike forever and have a decent stealer I would give it to them rather than climb this learning curve, because you'll probably only ever do it the one time before you pass the bike on.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Servicing a V-Rod is just not hard for me to do.
I do a complete under the hood service every oil change.
No problem, having done it once. If you are only ever going to do it once, I'd call it a hassle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm getting ready to do the same thing for the first time. Oil change; plugs; 10k tuneup.

Not looking forward to it but I figure, once it's done, I'll be able to do it again. Plus, I hate the stealerships. They friggin gouge you on the price for anything...

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
just take your time and save the beer until you've completed the plug service.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you don't manage to pull the front coil assembly out vertically (hard to get your hand in properly) the boot is left behind. And that is a REAL PITA to get out.
This happened to me on my first go at removing the front coil. Worse yet, I actually tore the boot. :banghead:

Ever since then I put a little dielectric grease on the plug. The boots come out nice and easy ever since.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I'm getting ready to do the same thing for the first time. Oil change; plugs; 10k tuneup.

Not looking forward to it but I figure, once it's done, I'll be able to do it again. Plus, I hate the stealerships. They friggin gouge you on the price for anything...
Even though I twist wrenches for a living,I enjoy servicing and working on my vehicles.I enjoy cleaning them too.
In the near future,I'm going to rip the front end down on the X,do the bearing service,set the preload,drain the brake and shock systems,install new pads,along w a new tire and tube.I'll also get to clean each component separately to so it will be all sparkly again.
No other mechanic ever services my stuff as thorough as I do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts