Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a conversation the other day about money vs perceived performance gains.

Just one of many topics was the VRSC battery. Lithium vs AGM. My side was that for some $120 ish more for a slight loss in weight the average to above average rider would never notice. I am not even sure its enough to show up on a time slip drag, or twisties.

The other side was for that money and being you are taking weight off the highest most forward part of the bike it would cost 2 or 3 times that much to find those improvements elsewhere.

I just didn't see 7 or 8 pounds on a 700 pound bike a big deal. Put one gallon lass gas in it at the pump there is 7 pounds...Its like 1%.

·
Registered
150 Posts
That isn't the only benefit to Lithium batteries though. They tend to have longer life cycles, typically keep a charge longer than AGM (for those that don't ride most days), some come with built-in jump start type features, more cranking amps, etc.

I actually just bought an antigravity lithium (waiting for it to come in) because I noticed my original battery starting to give out and the bike hesitates to fire up unless I keep it on the charger and I ride almost every day.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you have valid points but for just a performance advantage, I would not buy one just for that.

My last AGM battery lasted 8 years and i did not use it all the time. I also did not battery tend it. It was a freak... In fairness I priced a HD lithium and it was $250 and they wanted to sell me the charger for it. But battery to battery the Deka(East Penn) that I bought cost me $89 and it was a direct fit. I can buy 3 of them for the one HD.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Step right up, lose weight for as little as $ 15.50 a Lb !

We've spoke of this before - but losing weight on the porky V Rod only matters to those that value a lighter bike. For real H-D bikers that weigh half the bike, why bother ? For guys that weigh a quarter of the bike weight, yea, it helps.

9.6 Lbs of up high weight for $150 more than a regular battery is only $ 15.50 a Lb.

20 Lbs on an exhaust system for $ 850 is $ 42.50 a Lb.

3 Lbs of weight a wheel, two @ 6 Lbs for $ 1600 is $ 266 a Lb.

5 Lbs of weight a wheel, two @ 10 Lbs for $ 2500 is $ 250 a Lb.

So yea, IF you value weight loss, you can't beat a Lithium or LiFePo Battery, Lbs lost per $. I recommend the Earth-X, a much more stable version. Love mine. Weight is Evil. Weight reduces M/C Fun. Get rid of weight ( whatever you can afford ) you'll be happier, IF it matters to you. IF not, don't worry about it - :blahblah: :D

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes on everything you said.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts