Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 CVO now has 34000 on her and she is at low end of the compression spec. The dyno shows I am down 13HP at the rear wheel over the last two years. (Same dyno) Bike runs fine, just not as quick as she used to be. (NEITHER AM I ...)

Has anyone else done a top end in this range of miles on thier Vrod?

Right now it looks like I am set for my winter project.

Maybe cams, injectors, throtle body while I'm in there.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I wouldnt just depend on the dyno ,I would do a compression test on the cylinders and see what they are in the spec book first ,if it`s off by a few pounds and within acceptable range I`d run it.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
I wouldnt just depend on the dyno ,I would do a compression test on the cylinders and see what they are in the spec book first ,if it`s off by a few pounds and within acceptable range I`d run it.
Didn't he start his post with "at the low end of the compression spec"? That would tell me he started with that...I could be wrong...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Compression check was done first, I am at low end but just with in spec.

Just trying to get a feel for if 34K miles is a typical top end rebuild, and low end compression could result in a 13 hp drop. I have the original cats on the exhaust and maybe those are plugging up?

I did not check valve shims yet.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
I have 110,000 miles on my vrscx and no top end build. These engines are practically bullet proof unless you abuse them terribly.

·
George
5,411 Posts
^^^^ What John said^^^^ I would look at the valve lash first, although I've never heard of one being far enough out at 30K to cause compression loss

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
I would also run some top end cleaner through it before checking the valves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts