Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm finally sick of every Harley that rides by totally dwarfing my bike in sound :bash: I cant even tell if my bike is running when I ride next to My Dad with his Vance and Hines. So I've been researching the hell out different exhausts and I've decided on just doing slip-ons, but NOT a 2-1. The first problem is my bike is an 07 and for some reason it really narrows my choices. I like the look of the Force Street fighter Pipes, and leaning twords the Long Pipes, I also kind of like the Stock SE pipes V-Moded but I don't think they will fit??. My main question is am I going to have to get a Power Commander, or Race Tuner, etc to get my Bike to run correctly?? Or will it just run a bit more lean?? I've heard from both sides that its just marketing tactics to sell more products, and others saying that you could ruin stuff if its not tuned accordingly. I just bought the bike new about a week ago, and i don't want to start voiding the warranty, or screwing anything up. Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I can only repeat what I have read here on the forum. It seems any change in pipes (beyond drilling holes in the end caps) needs some sort of fuel management device (PCIII, etc) for the V-Rod to run optimally. I will defer to the experts on this one, who have dyno tuned their rides and can explain the mechanics behind why a PCIII, etc. is necessary.

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
91Vette said:
I can only repeat what I have read here on the forum. It seems any change in pipes (beyond drilling holes in the end caps) needs some sort of fuel management device (PCIII, etc) for the V-Rod to run optimally. I will defer to the experts on this one, who have dyno tuned their rides and can explain the mechanics behind why a PCIII, etc. is necessary.
:them: x2

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
Also see this thread HERE for some more ideas on how to get the Force sound in a custom look for far far far less than the SEVERELY overpriced Force pipes....

·
Banned
579 Posts
hey boosted i just ordered the long black streetfighter pipes on Saturday and I also ordered the SERT, if you have about a week to wait and do a little more research the shop told me all the parts should be in by the end of this week so I'll let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dschminkey said:
hey boosted i just ordered the long black streetfighter pipes on Saturday and I also ordered the SERT, if you have about a week to wait and do a little more research the shop told me all the parts should be in by the end of this week so I'll let you know how it works out.
Sounds good... Look forward to it.

Is there any Programmers that are better than others?? (i.e. DynoJet, PCIII, Tag, Etc?) I would like to just install the Slip-Ons, and not touch anything else, im not really looking for any more power right now...:angeldev:

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
My understanding is that the bikes run lean to begin with when you add an airfilter and freer flowing pipes they run even leaner there in lies the problem, to lean ='s fried motor. I am by no means a guru though someone who really knows should chime in.

·
Chief
1,272 Posts
Put on a Rhinehart 2to1

I have an 03 A and I put on the Rhinehart 2to1 pipe with a power commander pcIII USB. The bike was DYNO Tuned by a local DYNO tuner. The bike is sounding rather nice and it runs fine. It is a nice option and looks great on the bike. That pipe opens up the rear end so that you can see the rear wheel and brake caliper. Good Luck with your choice.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
258C1 said:
I have an 03 A and I put on the Rhinehart 2to1 pipe with a power commander pcIII USB. The bike was DYNO Tuned by a local DYNO tuner. The bike is sounding rather nice and it runs fine. It is a nice option and looks great on the bike. That pipe opens up the rear end so that you can see the rear wheel and brake caliper. Good Luck with your choice.
Not really feelin the 2-1... even though I hear good things about the CFR pipes.
I think its between the Force and the Tab, and I still have no idea about the tuner... PCIII, TAB, DynJet, etc. I guess if im getting Tab Pipes i should get the Tab Tuner.. :deal:

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Boosted1456 said:
Not really feelin the 2-1... even though I hear good things about the CFR pipes.
I think its between the Force and the Tab, and I still have no idea about the tuner... PCIII, TAB, DynJet, etc. I guess if im getting Tab Pipes i should get the Tab Tuner.. :deal:
If I was in your situation, I'd probably go with the PCIII...it's more generic and you can use it with other pipes should you not care too much for the first ones you try. If you get a brand specific one, it might be a bit harder to tune properly.

·
Kicking cancer's ass
969 Posts
You're going to need fuel management.

Knowing that, your budget situation could then influence what you do for pipes. It helps that you want to stay 2-2.

Cheapest = DIY V-mod. You can find instructions here. Get a hole saw, cut around your baffles, pull them out, plug in your PCIII or other fuel manager, load a good map from here, enjoy your sound. I did this with my DX and my wife's D. D was way easier and literally took me 5 minutes. Sounds sweet!

Next = Cheatin' Pipes. You can find instructions here. Get some 2.5"-3.5" exhaust tips from Summit, make relief cuts into clamp end of tips, clamp on, plug in PCIII or other fuel manager, load a map from here, enjoy your sound.

Last = Pay for aftermarket mufflers. Clamp them on, plug in PCIII, load map, enjoy.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So if I go with the Tab Pipes, PCIII and a K&N Filter, if something goes wrong will the dealer hassle me?? Or can I take it all off, put it back to stock, and be ok?? Thanks for all the input so far, making it a little bit easier to not have the dreaded "buyers remorse"

I also found this on Ebay... They state that "They have the Largest Map Database in the country" and they can load any maps I want depending on my Mods.... Anyone have any experience with these guys??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=190140630185&rd=1

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
That's the cool thing about the PCIII...it doesn't change anything on the bike...you remove it and the fuel management is all stock. That's the joy of a piggy back system. Slap your stock pipes and air filter on and you're good to go. When you want to get loud again, put all that stuff back on and you're set!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds good.. So I think im gonna go with the Tab Slash Cuts w/ Removable Baffles, PCIII, and a K & N. Ill post up some clips when i get it all set up!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Boosted1456 said:
Sounds good.. So I think im gonna go with the Tab Slash Cuts w/ Removable Baffles, PCIII, and a K & N. Ill post up some clips when i get it all set up!
I'm considering the same setup as you on my '06 D-Rod. I asked Jamie at Fuel Moto if she had a map for this setup and she said she did. Let us know how it works, power/mpg, etc.

So the baffle is removable on the slash cuts? Was that a special order or are they all removable?

A sound clip would be much appreciated. Thanks...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Todd (of TAB) has quoted me $50 for the pair of baffles.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RixRod said:
I'm considering the same setup as you on my '06 D-Rod. I asked Jamie at Fuel Moto if she had a map for this setup and she said she did. Let us know how it works, power/mpg, etc.

So the baffle is removable on the slash cuts? Was that a special order or are they all removable?

A sound clip would be much appreciated. Thanks...
For sure... I still have not heard back from Todd yet, but the PCIII and K&N are on the way (Fuel Moto), I'll have to start digging around for a good mic.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh Man!! I just talked to Todd... He's out of town the rest of this week, wont be back till MONDAY! Im bummed I was hoping to get it together this weekend...:bash: I guess at least my power commander and K&N are coming first, I can play with those... :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
TAB Gear....

Can't wait to see how they turn out.... let me know how they sound, i haven't heard from anyone that has the baffles yet. the ones without are supposed to be REALLY loud! i'm not sure if i want REALLY loud.... keep us posted... i've talked to those guys for a while now...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just for reference, here's the clip that's been floating around for the black powder coated version for the Night Rod Special (installed on a Night Rod). Per Tab, "On a scale of 1-10 the baffled pipes would be a 6 while the stockers a 1 and the straight pipes a 10." These pipes are 1" shorter than the chrome version for the Night Rod. So it appears that the chrome baffled pipes would be about half as loud as the unbaffled; about the same or a little quieter than the sound clip. If the baffles are indeed removable, you would have the best of all 3 worlds; stock, baffled and unbaffled.:dance:

So much for theory. I'm still anxious to hear a clip of the real thing when you're finished and how they affect performance with the PCIII.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts