Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since everybody else is picking the ticks out of their sleeping bags at Basswood, I offer some filler material:

I put Thunderheaders on an '06 Nightrod, haven't seen too many other examples posted. They are obnoxiously loud, ridiculous performance with an SE tuner and I like the way they look. Everyone loves their pipes, I'm no different. FWIW, I'd recommend TH to anyone wanting some growl and whee.

Attachments

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
ViagROD said:
Since everybody else is picking the ticks out of their sleeping bags at Basswood, I offer some filler material:
:rofl2:

I like it! Looks good!!!

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
Looks great... I have heard that pipe and it is loud and mean :notworth:

·
Conventional Wisdom
2 Posts
How bout any V&H 2-into-1?

I like that setup :notworth: ; very nice! However, I'm more in love with the V&H 2-1... I am talking to Godspeed right now and trying to figure out what will fit/work/look nice/perform on my '07 VRSCDX

Anyone out there know of any "black chrome solutions"?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thunderheader looks great!! Did you do the install yourself? What kind of modifications did you make (if any) to get it to fit? Last I knew, the TH wasn't compatible with mid controls. I think there is another member here who has done it, but I never saw the pics.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Great looking bike! Now shave that dogs ass and lower it an inch! :thumb:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great choice! I had mine installed over the summer as well and i couldn't be happier with the increased power and sound!

·
Hopefully Lost
162 Posts
That's a great looking pipe

I have been contemplating changing mine. Do you have a sound clip? I am also interested to hear what else you may have had to done. The mid mounts need to be relocated?

·
Registered
27 Posts
BWild4Life151 said:
I have been contemplating changing mine. Do you have a sound clip? I am also interested to hear what else you may have had to done. The mid mounts need to be relocated?

I have a brief sound clip in my gallery. Its not long or have the best video quality video but it will give you an idea of the powerful sound on these TH's. I'll try to add another clip soon.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i have a 06 d. i have thundrheaders installed. did it myseff. no mods. sound is incredible. if you want to hear the sound. check manolos thread. i ride with him and you can get the idea when 2 bikes are together. he is on the dx thread. also i ride with a bunch of baggers. and they have had enough. the sound they say is unbearable. just the way it should be. and when you open it up look out. will post some pictures some. lots of mods.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Do any of you guys have pix of your bike from the back? I'd like to see how far the pipe sticks out. There was a stunt team at the local HD this weekend that had TH's on their bikes...GREAT sound!

·
Registered
195 Posts
peaceman said:
i have a 06 d. i have thundrheaders installed. did it myseff. no mods. sound is incredible. if you want to hear the sound. check manolos thread. i ride with him and you can get the idea when 2 bikes are together. he is on the dx thread. also i ride with a bunch of baggers. and they have had enough. the sound they say is unbearable. just the way it should be. and when you open it up look out. will post some pictures some. lots of mods.
That's the same Manolo that told me all I had to do was swap to forward controls to run a Thunderheader.
Gee, why didn't I think of that? :stilpoke:

No mods, huh? You got mids or forward controls on your D?
I know the OP has mids, but he still hasn't commented on the install itself.

·
GA. BOY
2,462 Posts
very nice looking ride!

·
Registered
27 Posts
NightMare said:
Do any of you guys have pix of your bike from the back? I'd like to see how far the pipe sticks out. There was a stunt team at the local HD this weekend that had TH's on their bikes...GREAT sound!

I have some pictures from the back and top in my gallery.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
deosan said:
I have some pictures from the back and top in my gallery.
Thanks deo, that's just what I wanted to see.

·
Registered
84 Posts
no mods. i have mids and it looks good also does not hang out at all. sitting the pipe is close to the rear axle bolt. but once a rider is on it drops a couple of inches.

·
Registered
246 Posts
thunderheader

Thunderheaders are a dime a dozen where i live, (near rich products). They are a good pipe, but common, and expensive. Did you say you got a 4 hp gain? Is that 4 hp over the stock pipe? Thats not a lot of bang for the buck.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the props, but I just spent the money. Dealer did the install on the mid control setup, kudos to Carson City HD for that. Vrodder, thanks, youre' right, the dogs ass on it's way OFF, and Arlen Ness already helped me lower it an inch. And nope, I didn't dyno before, so there's no telling what the net HP gain is with these pipes, didn't mean to imply one. Maybe you caught my snide remark about the hi-priced valve stem caps... There's a funky sound bite at the start of this video, before the wind drowns it out.
http://www.1130cc.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=37067&catid=member&imageuser=15812
And a side note, this October 5th is blanketed with 6" of snow. Time to start the winter project. I really hate snow FWIW.

·
Smokin some asphalt!
1,527 Posts
stomper said:
Looks great... I have heard that pipe and it is loud and mean :notworth:
I wonder where that was!!!!! LOL:D

Excellent exhaust! Great sound and good HP increase. Wouldnt have anything else on my bike!!:thumb:

·
Registered
84 Posts
got to have it dynod. i have the stage one download on a sert. waiting for my appoint. talked to the dyno mech. he said the sert is the only way to tune this bike. at the dyno with manolo he had a 3 foot flame jump out of the back of his pipe. wow. also. at 9000 plus rpm, you cannnot beleive the sound.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts