Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed bars on my 09dx to the HD reduced reach bar and used the stock throttle cables but I routed them outside the triple tree and I have the adjusters as short as they will go and my throttle will only snap half way back, I have no more adjustment to loosen it off anymore are my cables too short? And if so what size are the stock cables and how much longer should I order? Thanks

·
Registered
590 Posts
They could be pinched or your return cable may need adjusted. It always seems to be the issue. Search on here, there is a procedure for adjusting. I personally don't use a return cable, but that is another discussion.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
You might have the return cable too tight. This forces the grip onto the bar with extra friction. Set pull cable first for idle to full throttle to stop. Return, just take up the slack. You might also have the throttle grip too far onto the handlebar and it's rubbing there.
Ron

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the cables and they arnt pinched anywhere that I can see I also have no adjustment left in either cable which is why I think they are too short I have them backed off all the way they can my adjustments are bottomed out

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Also checked the grip on the bar I moved it outwards a touch but nothing changed there
Sounds like the outer sleeve is too long on the cables or the inner too short . Not sure how you even got them on being that tight? This extra pressure makes the barrel sleeve part of the throttle grip grab the bar with a lot of friction. Speaking of friction, is your star adjuster backed right off?
Ron

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hm ok I’m pretty sure they are too short now the reduced reach bars arnt that big of a difference but I will have to see if I can get some cables that are maybe 2 inches longer? Yes the star is backed off I had to run outside triple tree cuz they wouldn’t fit too short

1 - 9 of 9 Posts