Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding tonight and noticed that my throttle wasn't returning to idle on its own, I had to twist it back to get it to quit reving. The adjustments at the handle bar didn't help any. My buddy said it has probably come loose at the throttle body. He said the same thing happened to his fatboy. Has anyone ever had this issue or should I look at something else also? Thanks.

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
Sounds like you broke your idle cable. Easy enough to replace. You should check the condition of both cables, throttle and idle.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If its broke, would I still be able to bring it to idle by twisting the throttle? I would think that if its broke then I wouldn't be able to.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The butterflys are spring loaded closed and if you release the positive tension they may close without the assist of the idle cable.

More likely you have the throttle lock dragging. loosen it and see if that's the issue.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The butterflys are spring loaded closed and if you release the positive tension they may close without the assist of the idle cable.

More likely you have the throttle lock dragging. loosen it and see if that's the issue.
I have the throttle lock as loose as possible. I plan on really tearing into it today, so hopefully it will be simple. :D

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Clean all the cams and springs areas around the throttle body area where the cables connect, tear the throttle apart and make sure the little pressure plate for the throttle lock screw did not come loose of the C clip somehow and look to make sure there is not something like a leaf or other type of debris in the butterflies or the cams area.
Put it all back together and see if it works then.
Oh, while you have the throttle apart, pull on the return cable to see if it broke somehow inside the sleeve.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I got a closer look today. The cables are still both attached and in line as they should b. I couldn't find anything wrong. I sprayed the entire throttle body assembly with WD-40 and then adjusted the cables up on the handlebar. I started it and it seemed to be OK now. I'm still not convinced that its fixed though. It was pretty bad yesterday while riding. I didn't notice it until about 20 minutes into the ride. Is there anything that could be warming up and causing it to stick or be extremely sluggish returning to idle? It would be nice if it just need a good shot of WD-40, but i'm skeptical. The only thing I have done to the bike in the last few weeks is wash it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also I think I eliminated the cables being broke because when I made the adjustments at the handle bar it responded to the adjustments. If a cable was broken then the adjustments wouldn't work.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
Maybe a little rust or dirt in the cable sleeve, they make a small oiling "pen" type device that works real well. Lube the cales and see what happens...

·
Registered
117 Posts
i broke one wen i was riding my dads punched out low rider....wen i did it i twisted it back from full throttle quick.,,,easy fix

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Don't Get Stranded

If your cables are anything like mine were, the cables are rusted badly inside the sheaths. My throttle was slow to snap shut and not particularly smooth either. My return cable eventually broke in half, despite my attempts to force cable lubricants down into the sheaths to save them. I bought a new set.

My new cables came with external plastic sheathing similar to the split, corrugated wiring tubing that is common in automobiles. The H-D instructions were to slide the tubing to a place on the cables that protected them from the sharp edge of the battery box. When I inspected my old cables, I found that they had chaffed through the outer layer of plastic exactly at the battery box edge and that is also where the cable broke inside.

These cables are braided steel wire. They are very thin and will break when weakened by rust. You should replace them if they are tough to push/pull through the sheath because they are about to break. I was lucky that my throttle cable didn't break first or I would have been stranded (pun not intended).

·
Two Wheels Or A Prop
163 Posts
Throttle return cable

My throttle return (idle) cable just broke - rusted as described above. Does anyone know if the two cables are the same or if the return cable is different from the throttle cable? Anyone have any recommendations for a good place to buy online? Thanks - Tony

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts
Dave believe it or not i tried to set the idle cable right but the damm thing is stuck won't turn:banghead: the previous owner change the grips so i guess he overtight this one
the freaking bike is only 2500 miles wtf can't be rusted.
i tried WD 40 and oil no result if i try to grip the cable with visegrip i might f_ it up more

calisse de tabarnak! always something wrong with those v-rod

on a side note can you believe the previous owner only had 3 1/4 liters of oil in the bike when i got to pick it up i was freaking out almost gave him a pile of shit, at least he told me i was syn3 maybe the dealer only put 3 L at his first oil change but
the bike was running great anyway

sorry to highjack, had to vent

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
for all you guys that broke a cable, the same thing happened to me. so i bought a set of new used braided cables and only used one. if you need to replace a broke braided cable, i have one. pull off the cable and measure the length and i will see if mine will work. il give who ever a good deal on it

·
Two Wheels Or A Prop
163 Posts
blumj88 - i'll take it! I have the braided ones on my bike and one just broke. PM me what you want for it and a paypal address or something and I'll send you my address. Thanks!

·
Two Wheels Or A Prop
163 Posts
ok, from what I can tell, the throttle and idle cable are different. -blumj88, if yours is the idle cable i am interested, if it is the throttle cable I'm good.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts