Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the bike shut off and cranked the throttle, to my surprise, the throttle only stayed open, it slowly returned to almost off, but stayed on a little.

So I started er up and sure enough, If i cranked the wrist, the bike reved and stayed reved. I tried oiling up the springs and roller under the right side airbox, above the engine, but did nothing.

What would you guys suggest? I was gunna take off the right side handle bar cover and see whats going on.

When i got the bike, it did have another set of grips put on, im wondering if they F'd something up.

Could some of you F owners step out to the garage and try yours out? Its not something youd notice, as I have not noticed it since 5 or 6 rides on the bike. Usually you bring the throttle back yourself with your hands while riding.

Thanks in advance

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
it could be a few different things but lets start with the easiest..

did you check the thumb screw and be sure it is not tight?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondring what that was, that large black plastic turny thing under the throttle. Wasthat for?

Im gunna have to dismantle that housing next to the throttle and figure out whats inside.

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
just unscrew it a a half a turn at a time and keep checking the throttle and see if it returns all the way or not.. if you have that all the way loose and the throttle stoill does not return let us know..

you dont have to take anything apart yet....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, I'll try it out tommorrow. BTW, what is the point of this screw? I never see this on any other of my bikes before, (82 Goldwing and 04 CBR 600F4i)

Why would you need to adjust the tension?

Oh, and I like taking things apart to figure out how stuff works. Since I had the bike, 2 weeks now, I've taken apart the rear seat, The intake and the left handlbar switch for the hi/low mod.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Alright, I'll try it out tommorrow. BTW, what is the point of this screw? I never see this on any other of my bikes before, (82 Goldwing and 04 CBR 600F4i)

Why would you need to adjust the tension?

Oh, and I like taking things apart to figure out how stuff works. Since I had the bike, 2 weeks now, I've taken apart the rear seat, The intake and the left handlbar switch for the hi/low mod.
For highway use.... kinda like cruise control but more like TP lock

·
Registered
25 Posts
Basically it's a sort of cruise control. If you tighten it up enough it will hold the throttle open for you so youc an rest your hand on long rides. Other than that you can put a little tension on the throttle so that it doesn't just snap closed if you let go. Some people use them. Most people I know don't. As far as I know only Harleys have them. Maybe other cruiser bikes styled after Harleys. IE Honda Shadows.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now that I think about it, that throttle screw is a good idea. I may just loosen up my throttle a tiny bit, cus until I noticed it today, I never had any issues and never noticed wrist fatigue, which might happen if the throttle wants to reset all the time.

Hope this is the problem. Id say it is, cus I did turn it not knowing what it was when I first got the bike. i thought I turned it back to the same spot when I first turned it, but guess I never.

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
it is used to warm the bike up for a high idle.... harley never meant it to be used as a cruise control and can lock on when you let go of the throttle and that will be bad....

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Just back the TP screw all the way . Do NOT back it off after it starts to get a little resistance because it can fall apart inside then you will have to pull the entire throttle apart to put it back together. Try this then post if still a problem and we can coach you through the throttle cables adjustment procedure if the screw was not the problem.

·
Bladerunner
1,948 Posts
I've lived with this problem at WOT since I bought my bike back in May with 2,500 miles on it. Screw isn't the issue on mine. I've been riding too much to leave it at the dealer for a week to figure it out. Thus far I've just been manually rolling off the throttle after going full twist...

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
I read the whole thread. I think you haven’t fixed it yet. I have something for you to look for.
You said you have had your grips replaced. Sometimes the grips can be pushed on so far down the handle bar that the end of the inside of the grip bottoms out on the end of the handle bar causing friction between the grip and the end of the bar keeping the throttle stuck open or can be slow returning. If it was OK before you changed grips this would be a good place to look.

Bicep

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies, I'll try the last two posts tommorrow when I get a chance.

I didn't replace the grips myself, it was on it when I bought the bike 2 weeks ago. That could very well be the problem, or the friction knob.

I'm thinking the friction knob, but if not, the grips would be the next obvous problem.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I dont know if its for cruise or idle warm up....

I use it all the time though....as cruise control...4 out of 5 times I ride, I use it as cruise control :)

Anyways, if that is completely loose, then something I noticed is the throttle cables...when I was installing my drag bars...I was having problems with the throttle sticking...if you've moved your throttle cables (coming from the handlebars)...that could be the issue...move them around, to sit different angles...see if that works (you can do all this with the bike OFF)

I found all that out two days ago when I pulled my throttle apart after I installed the new bars

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, I think I got the throttle fixed. I unscrewed the cruise knob all the way. It does go back to rest now, but its still not instant like I thought it would be. If I recall my other bikes, it would slam back to zero once I let the throttle go. It goes back, but it takes maybe a second.

Is this normal?

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
check the cable to make sure it is not pinched or has a bind. mine did the same thing and i had to oil the inside of my lines. it got dry in there and caused excessive friction

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
check the cable to make sure it is not pinched or has a bind. mine did the same thing and i had to oil the inside of my lines. it got dry in there and caused excessive friction
So do I need to take off the button housing on the right hand to oil the lines?

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
I see H-D got better liability lawyers... hahaha.....:D

they throw the warning in there-just in case someone decides to lock their throttle on and use it like a true cruise control........ remeber before FI bikes we used to have to pull the choke and lock the throttle on high idle to warm them up.....

Orly?
[/IMG]

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
OK, I think I got the throttle fixed. I unscrewed the cruise knob all the way. It does go back to rest now, but its still not instant like I thought it would be. If I recall my other bikes, it would slam back to zero once I let the throttle go. It goes back, but it takes maybe a second.

Is this normal?

ok thats cool... remember that there are very fine threads on the screw and to use a light finger when turning it....

the next thing to check before taking anything apart is to spray some silicone around the rubber boots covering the adjustments and roll them down enough to see the threads and lock-nut. are they all rusted? one is your throttle and one is your idle cable. the idle cable controls the tension on the "return" - if this cable is too tight the throttle won't snap back....

also the stock cables are not a self lube cable and need lube from time to time...hope all goes smooth and you get squared away....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts