Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK> I'm replacing the cables and I didn't note where each goes on the throttle wheel (top and bottom). I've looked thru my manual 3 times now and there's nothing there I can find.

I know which cable is throttle and which is idle (fatter diameter ring on cable). I also know that the idle cable will be closest (inside) side to rider on the grip, but I don't know which goes where on the throttle body.

Someone here will know. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

-G

·
Registered
330 Posts
Think of it as a throttle and return cable and look at it again, you need to pull to open and push to close the throttle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

cool. I assumed that, but you know what they say about assume.

-G

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I want to go with an internal throttle system, the ones I have found are a single cable design. Can I make this set uo work? Do I need the throttle return / idle cable?

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
I have not found a dual internal throttle set-up as of yet. I've been looking for a while but I may have missed it if one is available now.

I've had the best results with the Exile internal cable. but this is just my opinion on them. Whenever I asked if there would be a dual cable available I was told no. but...... things change.

sumondabitches said:
I want to go with an internal throttle system, the ones I have found are a single cable design. Can I make this set uo work? Do I need the throttle return / idle cable?

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
sumondabitches said:
On older Harley's there was only one cable to the carb. If it is a single cable setup that means that the cable has to be stiff enough to pull the butterflies open and then close them when you roll the throttle off. A single cable system may or may not have a return spring so you may have to remember to roll off the throttle as you come to a stop.

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
I agree... the return cable is also a saftey feature so if your hand comes off the throttle it will shut closed.

not being that familiar with the throttle bodies I would wonder if they had a saftey spring attached in any way? just a couple things to think about, like, an internal cable would have a hard time working in Z-Bars and it is a different feel than the stock throttle.

I would bet it has been done on a VR.

one option is to go with the CCCs systems where everything is internal.

tagrat said:
On older Harley's there was only one cable to the carb. If it is a single cable setup that means that the cable has to be stiff enough to pull the butterflies open and then close them when you roll the throttle off. A single cable system may or may not have a return spring so you may have to remember to roll off the throttle as you come to a stop.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I will do some more research and post the results when and if I get the internal throttle figured out.

·
iTrader Technician
4,467 Posts
V-Shop said:
one option is to go with the CCCs systems where everything is internal.
Too bad they are so damn expensive!!

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
gmccauley said:
Too bad they are so damn expensive!!
Sorry for the highjack but concerning hidden cables: I agree that the CCCS controls are expensive and some of us had quite a learning curve on these. See this thread: CCCS problems).

CCCS now has a "controls only" version that can be used with other bars. These are $1900, which is still expensive but it implies that their bars alone are worth $500. Although these controls will fit other bars, they need to be custom made to be 1¼" diameter on the ends where the controls mount with no "neck down".

·
Registered
499 Posts
Funny story. I changed to the braided throttle cables some time back and as it turns out didn't have them adjusted properly. I went on 2 (count 'em 2!) rides with air cooled bikes and all was fine. It wasn't until I was riding alone that a realized I had the cables set so they only opened the throttle about 60%! But, that was more than enough ponies to ride comfortably with the air heads.

·
RhinoRD
121 Posts
tagrat said:
Actually the cable doesn't have to be that stiff. The vrod throttle bodies return themselves. The return cable is more of a safety feature. It also keeps your throttle grip from rolling too far in the opposite direction.

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
from the research I've done I would say IMHO that one cable will be good to go...

the return spring on the throttle bodies is strong enough and should be fine to work the return.

sumondabitches said:

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I broke an idle cable on my 03 and the throttle worked fine.In fact,it broke as soon as I hit the road headin to West Palm for one of Jeff's drag strip events.I made several pass on the track too.

Wait till we see whats for the 09 models before changing to a hidden system,we might see Fly by Wire Throttles.Then we can hack,manipulate and reprogram untill a retro fit is made.

Elrod on the V-Rod

1 - 15 of 15 Posts